Cycling in the Rain! do you do it?

Tabula Rasa

The title pretty much says it all , do you cycle in wet conditions?(Road and off-road) if so , what are the pros and cons? Any saftey tips like the types of tires and lights to be used? And what is your apparel of choice?

Ive done it once on the road in my Reef Wetsuit and it was GREAT fun, till i almost wiped out on a high speed turn. Ive read some where that skilled cyclists are made in the rain, is this true?

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never started a training ride in the rain. If it's a race I invested a lot of training, time and money in then I'll start. Except if it's coming down in buckets and you know it's just going to be a mud fest that does damage to the bike. 

Last night the rain caught me on my MTB. The temp was hitting 38 just before the rain started, so I did not complain at all! And what made it even more enjoyable, is that I was on my single speed so no single f was given

I will not start a ride in the rain. Yesterday as I was about to leave work the heavens opened, I waited 20 min and called my wife to come fetch me. If I am out training and it starts I will find a garage or some sort of shelter and take it from there. I don't mind the rain but lightning makes me skrik and the maintenance on my bike afterwards sucks. 

On the savanna plains of Africa rain often goes along with thunder. I am really afraid of thunder when I am alone on my bike when out on the flats. Thus, I avoid riding when there is thunder. Further, the whole place is muddy afterwards. Mud and gear is not good news. 

Depends on the rain and the ride:

- If its a 30min, high intensity, around the block ride to get 300 vitality points; i'll take my MTB.

- If its a road ride, with my road bike - no way.

- If i'm on my MTB at a bike park and it starts raining, i just continue riding and enjoy the mudfest 

I don't mind riding in the rain (MTB), however the damage caused by the mud going in everywhere is the part that scares me. My previous BB lasted more than a year of riding every weekend, installed a new BB Sept last year, did 1 muddy ride, and had to replace it...

So in short, unless I win the lotto I will be avoiding riding in the rain like the plague!!

Rain can be so refreshing in the middle of a ride, but not nice having to start in the rain, as others have said. Also, even on the road, it wreaks havoc with your bike. You have a lot of maintenance and cleaning to do afterwards.

Ha! I'm going to be 'that Guy' and bring the dreaded 'Single Speed' into this thread!

Any kind of exercise that involves being in the rain is awesome. A SS also makes it rad because it doesn't have shifting parts to damage.

Be it road, MTB, road or trail running, surfing, paddling.... being out in the rain is an absolute glorious wonder.

Love it