Tygerberg MTB Trails

Bub Marley

Some time back, when I was very new to the club and MTB in general I rode from Durbanville central and back via the mast and Traverse (I had discovered that a bicycle could do more than 5 km and was pushing it). I wasn't on any of the mailing lists at the time. I had it in my head that sunset was the cut-off time. I rode back via the Traverse, clearly later than I should have been and encountered THE DOGS of BALDOUR, who decided I must die. The lady with them managed to recall them and I shouted a thank you as I quickly departed.

I'm now on the mailing lists  :ph34r: #confessions

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In the past I did cycle off trail on one of the farms (with the landowners permission) got quite a bollocking from a member who noticed and chased me vigorously up the hill. His motivation was good but his approach was terrible - but then again, how does he know that what I'm saying is true, or I am who I say I am.

It is always going to be a sticky situation but in general most issues can be avoided if we approach everyone - even those we feel are in the wrong - with some common courtesy. If the response you get is in the range of "Get F%&^@D" then by all means have at it.

Exactly why I put that little piece in bold letters.

It all boils down to attitude and approach.

One of my favourite sayings on this forum: "Don't be a box, be lekker"  :clap:

Some time back, when I was very new to the club and MTB in general I rode from Durbanville central and back via the mast and Traverse (I had discovered that a bicycle could do more than 5 km and was pushing it). I wasn't on any of the mailing lists at the time. I had it in my head that sunset was the cut-off time. I rode back via the Traverse, clearly later than I should have been and encountered THE DOGS of BALDOUR, who decided I must die. The lady with them managed to recall them and I shouted a thank you as I quickly departed.

Glad to hear you survived to tell the tale (and hopefully the dogs of baldour left you with enough clothing to afford you some dignity :w00t:)

I knew of the Traverse times before my first ride of it.

But certainly did not know the trail .... started from Bloemendal side, even did Bluegum in reverse .... figured that out when I finished that section.

Almost missed a few boards that were partially obscured behind leaves .... but I managed to find my way without going off the route.

A few rides later I saw a rider doing laps of the cement road as I crossed it.  I vividly remember him being mid-gear on the back POWERING up that incline !!  For some time I thought that might actually be a trail option .... just did not have the legs to try it ...  :ph34r:

strange how our common sense goes on holiday when we see another club rider doing something with such conviction that it actually looks legal .... 

In hindsight .... there certainly are NO trail arrows from the actual trail pointing us to ride along the cement road.

Only time you are to be on that cement road, is when you cross over it at one point, and that point only.

I normally bunny hop it ????

#justsaying

Only time you are to be on that cement road, is when you cross over it at one point, and that point only.

Are we still supposed to walk over the cement road at the top near Bloemslang? I remember that was the rule at one stage

Are we still supposed to walk over the cement road at the top near Bloemslang? I remember that was the rule at one stage

yes, and we all are supposed to stop at stop streets  :ph34r:

And on that bombshell, wow both Meerendal (Dorstberg) and the top of Contermanskloof (path to the transmitters) were an absolute dream to ride yesterday - so manicured :w00t: . Thanks TMTBC!

Yep, as far as I know that rule never changed.

Rider OTB'd at the bottom of Cobra this morning and ended up getting heli-vacced out by AMS. I hope he is okay.

Be safe out there folks.

I still haven't plucked the courage to ride down that 'drop' to the cement road. That culvert keeps making me think it wants to kill me...

I still haven't plucked the courage to ride down that 'drop' to the cement road. That culvert keeps making me think it wants to kill me...

Lean right back like Kate Courtney and get your speed just right. Not too fast, not too slow.