Is selling on the classifieds becoming more difficult?

M L

South African Economic Times   

384 members have voted

1. 1. Are you finding it increasingly difficult to sell things on the classifieds?

• I sell things quickly and easily - it seems people have money
    • I sell things fairly quickly
    • I find it rather difficult to sell things - I struggle to sell and get low ball offers

It's an interesting way of using the classifieds and it's great to get feedback on this. For usability reasons, we don't think the current platform really suits doing this. So for now, we'd prefer that sold items are removed so that active buyers and sellers don't have to trawl through or compete with irrelevant adverts.

We are working on a sold mechanism to more efficiently remove these adverts. The first version of this should be out later this year. Initially, we're hoping it will help flush out sold items that are often left active (to the annoyance of potential buyers) but the final goal is to start collecting and displaying market value data at scale. One problem with determining the real value with our current system is that the listing price isn't always the sold price. So we need to encourage sellers/buyers to share that information after concluding the deal.

Suppose the other problem is the motivation behind the sale.

One might be selling just to clear space or help out a fellow hubber so the value may be lower than market.

It really is a tough one.......

• Replies 753
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to take your lead and assume the same.

Was interested in an item, made contacted but waited days for a response.

Asked for bank details and again nothing.!

DITTO...

It's an interesting way of using the classifieds and it's great to get feedback on this. For usability reasons, we don't think the current platform really suits doing this. So for now, we'd prefer that sold items are removed so that active buyers and sellers don't have to trawl through or compete with irrelevant adverts.

We are working on a sold mechanism to more efficiently remove these adverts. The first version of this should be out later this year. Initially, we're hoping it will help flush out sold items that are often left active (to the annoyance of potential buyers) but the final goal is to start collecting and displaying market value data at scale. One problem with determining the real value with our current system is that the listing price isn't always the sold price. So we need to encourage sellers/buyers to share that information after concluding the deal.

Shouldn't be too difficult to code. Instead of deleting a post there could be a sold button as well. Even a pending one (like fb marketplace). It then asks you for info such as the price you sold it at, and also gathers data on how long it took to sell based on how long the ad was up for. Sure its not a perfect system if people forget to mark it as sold for a while etc, but it could still be quite useful. All those ads then go into a new "sold" category that is only there to get an idea of market value for sellers. Im probably getting ahead of myself now but it could also be cool to see a chart or so of what a particular bike sold for. But it would mean that bikehub would have to have a database of bike models though. For example, when you post an ad now it asks for mtb/road, then ht/dually etc. But if it then asks for brand, then model etc then overtime a chart could be generated for any bike. And then if you click on any data point it will take you to the sold ad so you can see all the information of the particular bike. It would hopefully help decrease the number of overpriced listings but sadly the big bargains too.

Shouldn't be too difficult to code. Instead of deleting a post there could be a sold button as well. Even a pending one (like fb marketplace). It then asks you for info such as the price you sold it at, and also gathers data on how long it took to sell based on how long the ad was up for. Sure its not a perfect system if people forget to mark it as sold for a while etc, but it could still be quite useful. All those ads then go into a new "sold" category that is only there to get an idea of market value for sellers. Im probably getting ahead of myself now but it could also be cool to see a chart or so of what a particular bike sold for. But it would mean that bikehub would have to have a database of bike models though. For example, when you post an ad now it asks for mtb/road, then ht/dually etc. But if it then asks for brand, then model etc then overtime a chart could be generated for any bike. And then if you click on any data point it will take you to the sold ad so you can see all the information of the particular bike. It would hopefully help decrease the number of overpriced listings but sadly the big bargains too.

You pretty much summed up what we're working on, most of which we're shooting to go live with in August (along with broader a revamp of Bike Hub).

The introduction of a simple "Mark as sold" function opens up a lot of opportunity to collect meaningful data, e.g. list price vs. selling price, time to sale, prices per brand > model and of course prompt buyer & seller feedback.

We know the current Classifieds works well for many, but as this thread shows, there are many areas where small improvements will greatly enhance efficiency and liquidity in the market.

You pretty much summed up what we're working on, most of which we're shooting to go live with in August (along with broader a revamp of Bike Hub).

The introduction of a simple "Mark as sold" function opens up a lot of opportunity to collect meaningful data, e.g. list price vs. selling price, time to sale, prices per brand > model and of course prompt buyer & seller feedback.

We know the current Classifieds works well for many, but as this thread shows, there are many areas where small improvements will greatly enhance efficiency and liquidity in the market.

Just make sure you back up the Lady Pro thread before you do the update ... would be a catastrophe of note if we lost that thread!

Just make sure you back up the Lady Pro thread before you do the update ... would be a catastrophe of note if we lost that thread!

Not as big a catastrophe as when we lost the original thread.

• 5 months later...

Question 

2 weeks ago I list A whole bunch of drivetrain spares for sale ( dirt cheap ) but i even to help someone that might need it out I say I'll swop whoever for A memory card off takealot ( card is even cheaper than my listed price) 

2 guys Pm me almost instantly both say they'll have the card delivered to me and pickup that parts when they can , cool I give option to the first guy since im a good person , he has all my details and says he can only collect in two weeks 

that afternoon I leave for afriski where i had an accident and have now since recovered , back at work today I find out nothing has been arrived yet ( basically 9 working days , since he aggreed to the deal ) 

Pm'd him this morning and nothing yet 

His last seen is set to private 

and I don't have a number for him 

So what now 

I can't give it to the second guy cause what if this dude pitches or suddenly the card arrives 

advice ?