Is selling on the classifieds becoming more difficult?

M L

South African Economic Times   

384 members have voted

1. 1. Are you finding it increasingly difficult to sell things on the classifieds?

• I sell things quickly and easily - it seems people have money
    • I sell things fairly quickly
    • I find it rather difficult to sell things - I struggle to sell and get low ball offers

• Replies 753
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's the trick, it is used. It should be priced accordingly.

Yup.

Can't say I struggle anything on the classifieds - but I price my items right. I think a good starting point is that no second hand item should ever be priced at higher than 60% of the new price. Start there and adjust down based on condition/use.

The only item I have struggled to sell was a bike I was hesitant to let go recently. I advertised for what it was worth to me - which was a bit more than I would have paid for it second hand, and it sat. So long story short, if you want to sell something - price it for the amount you'd pay for it 2nd hand if you were buying, not what it is worth to you.

• 4 weeks later...

Second time in a couple months this has happened. Sent an enquiry to a seller with an item that has been listed for several months. Sent the message at 10:00 with my details. It's now past 20:00 and the seller has been online since. Zero response. People say it's difficult to sell? IMO quite a few sellers are just so lazy they can't be bothered to make a deal happen. A little effort and good communication and most deals can be concluded quickly

Second time in a couple months this has happened. Sent an enquiry to a seller with an item that has been listed for several months. Sent the message at 10:00 with my details. It's now past 20:00 and the seller has been online since. Zero response. People say it's difficult to sell? IMO quite a few sellers are just so lazy they can't be bothered to make a deal happen. A little effort and good communication and most deals can be concluded quickly

I gave someone a 2 star rating yesterday after having the same experience.

Ad says call/whatsapp so I mailed using the send message button. I then whatsapped. No response, so 2 days later I called, no answer.

An hour later the ad gets removed.

I am sorry, we don't need people like that in this community.

Decency goes a long way in life......

I get both you, I really do

I've had experiences like that on here more than a hundred times and it sucks but I just try to ignore and move on

BUT

Isn't the unspoken rule that a transaction has to happen before you can rate someone?

was R12k the original price or has it been shrunk?

I'm guessing this is about a 2008/2009 model,

it must be the most expensive vbrake bilke listed here since about 2014

alu stumpy in 2009 was probably about R16k new, so guessing carbon xtr version maybe R26k

I bought a rockhopper in '08 for about R7k and it came with Vees

I think it’s become more difficult, as people feel the economic economic pinch of what’s job losses etc they’re all looking for the deal of the century. So in my opinion you have to price yourself properly and rather take a smaller profit.

I have sold a bike and parts recently in a quick and efficient manner using this site. They were reasonably priced and went quickly.

I would advise many to have a look at the new price of bikes, especially the price on lockdown sales, old stock sales and overseas online shops (CRC etc). These guys trying to sell 4-5 year old carbon bikes for 70-80% of the new price can forget it. Likewise, your mtb parts you have "only done two Epics on" are not worth 75% of the new price. Perhaps 30%,

I get both you, I really do

I've had experiences like that on here more than a hundred times and it sucks but I just try to ignore and move on

BUT

Isn't the unspoken rule that a transaction has to happen before you can rate someone?

Communication, I feel, is a key part of any transaction.

If my rating will help someone to not waste their time in the future then that is a positive for me.

While waiting you may pass on other bikes, and in doing so lose out on those bikes too.

I just feel I would want to know before hand that there is a good chance that I might be wasting my time.

The rating system is for specific sales BUT I believe it is also vouching for the person involved.

was R12k the original price or has it been shrunk?

I'm guessing this is about a 2008/2009 model,

it must be the most expensive vbrake bilke listed here since about 2014

alu stumpy in 2009 was probably about R16k new, so guessing carbon xtr version maybe R26k

I bought a rockhopper in '08 for about R7k and it came with Vees

I think the original price was around the 20K mark...

I think the original price was around the 20K mark...

even at 12k that is a very steep price for a old 26'er hardtail with a 3x drive train, V-Brakes and even worse, a terrible logic shock  :ph34r:

I recently got screwed by a very prominent hubber... I haven't rated him as I fear there is more going on there.

If there is no communication and no engagement, is there anything to rate?

I think you guys need to learn to let things go a bit. I know it's annoying, but he probably forgot to close the ad, is busy or has pressures on him that he is dealing with in these strange times and is slightly embarrassed.

Not everyone BikeHubs (verb) often or very seriously, so they probably have no idea it's such a sin to treat the classifieds as an informal way to sell things and it is actually a measure of your character, social standing and the medium by which we shall all be judged on, now and in the end of time.

Had he committed to the sale at least 5 times in writing over a week long period, told you how amped he was for the kit, made you organise a credit card facility for payment then ghosted you n all platforms of communication, then I would say yes, by all means, but rating someone who fails to get back to you is excessive in my books.

That happens to me so often. I understand that it's frustrating and annoying, but ratings for that open up ratings for everything and I think we could all do without the added pressures of knowing every thing you do here will be judged and cataloged by all in sundry.

I get super annoyed when you inquire about something, they say 'nah, it's sold' but thead is still up and stays up for another 3 weeks.

But I can't rate someone for being dull or an inactive hubber. I just think we all need to be less judgy at the moment and be conscious of our shortening tethers

Not sure if I am at fault. But I'm looking for a specific saddle. It comes up now and then in the classifieds off of someones new bike and they change the saddle. Problem is the saddle is advertised on here as new and at full market price. I query and offer less based on the fact I am not getting any warranties with the product. Am I being unreasonable or not? 

Not sure if I am at fault. But I'm looking for a specific saddle. It comes up now and then in the classifieds off of someones new bike and they change the saddle. Problem is the saddle is advertised on here as new and at full market price. I query and offer less based on the fact I am not getting any warranties with the product. Am I being unreasonable or not? 

im my view it is fair.

New is only considered if its bought from a shop and all warranty and slips are on your name etc.

You are always welcome to offer, its the seller decision to reject or just ignore you.