Is selling on the classifieds becoming more difficult?

M L

South African Economic Times   

384 members have voted

1. 1. Are you finding it increasingly difficult to sell things on the classifieds?

• I sell things quickly and easily - it seems people have money
    • I sell things fairly quickly
    • I find it rather difficult to sell things - I struggle to sell and get low ball offers

Ha, ha, ha. They have made a proper business of it now, which I don't object to. The only thing that does annoy, and why I won't buy from them, is that come in hard with the low price offer and 'must delete the ad immediately' but get very shirty if you try to negotiate on one of their bikes for sale. 

that form of business model makes irks me in that they source their stock here, and then sell it here again...if their stock came from an external source I would personally not mind ... but this is my personal opinion, and they can buy and sell as they wish.

• Replies 753
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There was that time I had, at least in my opinion, a highly specced 26" bike advertised for a very reasonable price. My thinking was rather than it stood here in my garage unused that perhaps a youngster or lady could make good use of it.

A fellow got in touch with me and proceeded to tell me how it was for his wife. A present and wanted to give her something decent, a bit short on cash could I lower the price a bit, I thought well good to see it going to someone deserving! Reduced the price by some 25% and he left with a big smile, I went to bed with a good feeling...

Only to find that not 24hrs later he had the same bike up on Bikehub at double my original price [emoji35]

People, strange things

there was a set of purple Hope rotors floating around here recently again. They seem to be incompatible with certain brakesets like Curas around the caliper/riveted centre piece. I brought them in from the UK myself...180mm/160mm. Anyway...i sold them a while ago after not much use when upgrading to boost and deciding to get less pikey silver pro4's instead. I followed them around on here because i thought about buying them back and putting them on my wife's bike...some of the leftover purple bling is on there in any case. I snicker evertyime i see the adverts say "basically new" or hardly used when i know they are literally 4th-hand by now...and selling for what I sold them for to the original buyer.....when they were ACTUALLY hardly used and 1 owner only haha

Edited by morneS555

There was that time I had, at least in my opinion, a highly specced 26" bike advertised for a very reasonable price. My thinking was rather than it stood here in my garage unused that perhaps a youngster or lady could make good use of it.

A fellow got in touch with me and proceeded to tell me how it was for his wife. A present and wanted to give her something decent, a bit short on cash could I lower the price a bit, I thought well good to see it going to someone deserving! Reduced the price by some 25% and he left with a big smile, I went to bed with a good feeling...

Only to find that not 24hrs later he had the same bike up on Bikehub at double my original price [emoji35]

People, strange things

That deserves a swift clip over the ear hole.

Nothing wrong with making a profit on something but being a devious little twat about it deserves a warm ear.

I missed out on a great deal today, not because of something fishy or a bad experience, but because it was a great deal.  I was fifth in line as a buyer.  Still, the seller made time to communicate with me the whole time until the sale went through with another buyer.

And the ad was not active for a very long time.

Pity... :(

• 3 weeks later...

There is a nice fork in the classifieds for sale, messaged the seller about 2 weeks back, no reply, saw the same fork on facebook, sent a message, no reply, add is still up on BikeHub, but scrolling through FB and happened upon a chat asking if the new owner is enjoying the fork? Still advertised as available on both the hub and FB ????????????

There is a nice fork in the classifieds for sale, messaged the seller about 2 weeks back, no reply, saw the same fork on facebook, sent a message, no reply, add is still up on BikeHub, but scrolling through FB and happened upon a chat asking if the new owner is enjoying the fork? Still advertised as available on both the hub and FB

report it? or at least name and shame? lol

Some sellers and buyers are hubbers and some are not. Sure. Fine.

I just finding it amusing/hypocritical/interesting that if you start too high everyone will tell you. If you start too low nobody will tell you. If people bargain you down it's normal - if you bargain people up you're an arsehole.

Methinks people who claim to be helping newbies/making thehub a safer place/being all philanthropic should perhaps try and see both sides of the picture.

Edit: Oh and tell your mate to get on thehub :-)

That's actually not true, I commented a few times on low priced ads that the seller was giving it away and saw similar comments quite regularly. Actually a few times the seller pulled the ad, admitted they priced it way too low and put it back up at a more reasonable price, as long as they weren't playing buyers off each other to push the price up I don't see anything wrong with that.

Price calling out definitely went both ways in the comments.

People price their second hand gear far too high and get pissed when you offer a fair price for their used goods...

Sellers often attach too much emotion to the price.

At the same time, people's idea of "fair" can also be vastly different.

But somewhere in all of that there should hopefully be some common ground. LOL

People price their second hand gear far too high and get pissed when you offer a fair price for their used goods...

Take that online bike shop "BikeMarket" their second hand bikes are waaaaay too expensive..

Define too high and fair price? Entirely subjective.

The other side of that coin is people feel they've set a price that they feel is fair and an offer may be a low ball or messing them around.

Bike Market may upset with the way they do things and a bit of an arrogance. But on the whole they've built a platform that actually does give many newbies access to riding. They also employ a number of mechanics who give bikes a strip down, inspection and rebuild. 

The majority of private second hand sellers do not do that.

There's competition though, a couple of others are now doing the same thing and catching up.

• 1 month later...

Must be more difficult selling since PM isn't working.

I mean, it can't be working seeing as nobody responds.

And I don't think the email link is working either.

LOL :)

Uhm sorry, PM works perfectly ....

hulle wil net nie jou goed koop nie ....

PS - PM on the "forum" works perfectly.  Not sure if the PM function from the "Classifieds" section is working

Brakes seem to be selling like hotcakes, I missed out on 4piston brake sets 3 times in the last 2 weeks by a few minutes and I watch it religiously as I need a brake upgrade desperately.

Must be more difficult selling since PM isn't working.

I mean, it can't be working seeing as nobody responds.

And I don't think the email link is working either.

LOL :)

Uhm sorry, PM works perfectly ....

hulle wil net nie jou goed koop nie ....

PS - PM on the "forum" works perfectly.  Not sure if the PM function from the "Classifieds" section is working

Chat (aka "PM") in Classifieds is definitely working. In fact, in the last few months we've seen some of the highest Chat activity ever along with the highest % of sold items ever. 

What we're seeing, though, is that many enquires are simply not getting responses as items have either been sold or the seller has been flooded with enquiries. 

There are numerous improvements in the pipeline to improve the efficiency of Chat and to ensure sold items are marked sold with greater frequency.