Canyon Aeroad - Read if you planning on purchasing one

button

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

An interesting conundrum this.

And I agree with alot of things said by everyone. At first I was willing to agree with this being a flaw with the bike and canyon etc etc, but the more I thought about it, the way I ride, the way people "should" be riding then my opinion started to change.

For starters. I think if you are sitting on the TT when doing an aero tuck you are doing it wrong. It's a quick way to make yourself sterile in the event you hit anything thicker than a 10c coin at 80kph.

I think it's common knowledge that the TT is one of the thinnest tubes in a bike frame.

I've been riding for 12 years now. Racing elite a year now. And when I aero tuck I don't put any weight on the tube. I just sit low enough that I can feel the tube and then hover a little higher that. But weight that's a no-no in any event. But I think the others in the SA elite scene will concure with that as well. Aerotuck = down low close to TT but no weight.

And technically speaking aero tucking isn't therefore technically illegal as you aren't using the TT as a contact point. And I don't think it should be banned either. Why should a position be banned? Yes it might be risky but if you have good enough skill to pull it off use it to your advantage but at your own peril? I've had to use the Aerotuck a few times in the descents. Spesh and the Wintunnel did a test where the tuck can get you nearly 10kph of free speed in the descent once you've spun out. There are times when that little extra is needed.

Back on the actual topic though. I don't think there is anything wrong with the bike. If you are putting some or most or all of your 86kg heft on the TT doing the now aptly named "destructotuk", it's a big ask for pretty much any tube on the bike. I don't think it has anything to do with the bikes quality or the way its built. Maybe Canyons quality should be questioned maybe it shouldn't. But I think if you hit a bump hard enough that the frame, at that point, gets exposed to 86kg of force or more and breaks I don't think it's the frames fault.

Now I get what you are trying to attempt to say by trying to make it seem that you are a skilled rider and all that "cat1" and all that? I assume that's A batch? No offense to any A batch or lower riders here on the Hub. But having come from A batch, it isn't all that fast and or skilled for that fact. And it sounds like you kind of wanted to prove a point to the guys at Canyon but ended up doing the opposite. Because a knowledgeable rider (don't read as good or skilled but rather as those with bike knowledge) will know that sitting on the TT is not good. It's a thinly built tube and one of the thinnest on a bike. And by making this high story of being skilled and cat1 and then concluded with sitting on TT with weight on it, you just made yourself look like an arse to the guys at Canyon. If you don't have the core strength to hover while aero tucking, You shouldn't be doing it. Because you will be putting yourself and other cyclists around you in unnecessary danger. Because either the bike will fail as you have seen. Or because your bike control is actually compromised vs "hovering" over the TT and you can easily wobble and loose control of the bike.

Edit:

Something I left out. But on the other hand. Frames do get exposed to forces outside of their design spec all the time. Often when waiting at races I sit perpendicular to the bike and lean back against the top tube. I also do the whole "sitting on the top tube while straddling the bike" while waiting for the races to start. My Fuji Transonic hasn't cracked yet and neither have any of my other carbon bikes when I have done this to them. But then again they are probably only betting exposed to maybe 60% of my 65kg weight. It's difficult to say whether the Canyon would of cracked or not of exposed to similar loads. And if they do. Then it's probably another can of worms entirely.

Edited by Alastair_S1D

The aeroad has been around for many years. If it was a known weekpoint, Canyon would have changed the layup to reinforce the area. If it was in the first year it might have been understandable but not for a bike which has been raced and sold for many seasons.

3c81009060e57fe1b5243c4eb79114d7.jpg

Cannondale tested. A ok.

My Canyon Ultimate survived the same test on serveral occasions lately.  Not sure if I qualify as a heavy load though at 84kg.  Maybe I am just a very lucky Cayon owner or don't have balls of steel.

I'm a late entrant to this topic and I'll admit I haven't read all the preceding posts. This reminds me of the following quote by Keith Bontrager:

"Strong. Light. Cheap. Pick two." 

I don't really know if this is applicable as the Canyon in question was "cheap" so maybe "Aero" should be an extra option to pick from...

Last night I did an aero tuck coming down the mountain in Innsbruck (zwift) and my top tube didn't crack once. :ph34r:

I also tapped the frame on my BMC between the headset and seat post and you can hear where the carbon is thick and where it's not.  From half way along it starts thickening up and feels solid.  I've also sat on my top tube like Savage above without breaking it, but I've never sat on it while descending...

3c81009060e57fe1b5243c4eb79114d7.jpg

Cannondale tested. A ok.

Looks like you skipped a couple of meals. When in JHB next, we will go for some steak and chips, and a couple (read: a lot) of beer...

Sending that pic to Omnico!

Ps: WT the actual F is that gargantuan suitcase doing under your seat?? Nee man! Get Brolley Dolley to carry your spares or something!

I thought when I took the photo, should I take the tube off, nah, patch looks busy with the pooches, he won’t have time to spot that... wrong.

Sure fizik will void the warranty on saddle for hanging such massive suitcases off it...

An interesting conundrum this.

And I agree with alot of things said by everyone. At first I was willing to agree with this being a flaw with the bike and canyon etc etc, but the more I thought about it, the way I ride, the way people "should" be riding then my opinion started to change.

For starters. I think if you are sitting on the TT when doing an aero tuck you are doing it wrong. It's a quick way to make yourself sterile in the event you hit anything thicker than a 10c coin at 80kph.

I think it's common knowledge that the TT is one of the thinnest tubes in a bike frame.

I've been riding for 12 years now. Racing elite a year now. And when I aero tuck I don't put any weight on the tube. I just sit low enough that I can feel the tube and then hover a little higher that. But weight that's a no-no in any event. But I think the others in the SA elite scene will concure with that as well. Aerotuck = down low close to TT but no weight.

And technically speaking aero tucking isn't therefore technically illegal as you aren't using the TT as a contact point. And I don't think it should be banned either. Why should a position be banned? Yes it might be risky but if you have good enough skill to pull it off use it to your advantage but at your own peril? I've had to use the Aerotuck a few times in the descents. Spesh and the Wintunnel did a test where the tuck can get you nearly 10kph of free speed in the descent once you've spun out. There are times when that little extra is needed.

Back on the actual topic though. I don't think there is anything wrong with the bike. If you are putting some or most or all of your 86kg heft on the TT doing the now aptly named "destructotuk", it's a big ask for pretty much any tube on the bike. I don't think it has anything to do with the bikes quality or the way its built. Maybe Canyons quality should be questioned maybe it shouldn't. But I think if you hit a bump hard enough that the frame, at that point, gets exposed to 86kg of force or more and breaks I don't think it's the frames fault.

Now I get what you are trying to attempt to say by trying to make it seem that you are a skilled rider and all that "cat1" and all that? I assume that's A batch? No offense to any A batch or lower riders here on the Hub. But having come from A batch, it isn't all that fast and or skilled for that fact. And it sounds like you kind of wanted to prove a point to the guys at Canyon but ended up doing the opposite. Because a knowledgeable rider (don't read as good or skilled but rather as those with bike knowledge) will know that sitting on the TT is not good. It's a thinly built tube and one of the thinnest on a bike. And by making this high story of being skilled and cat1 and then concluded with sitting on TT with weight on it, you just made yourself look like an arse to the guys at Canyon. If you don't have the core strength to hover while aero tucking, You shouldn't be doing it. Because you will be putting yourself and other cyclists around you in unnecessary danger. Because either the bike will fail as you have seen. Or because your bike control is actually compromised vs "hovering" over the TT and you can easily wobble and loose control of the bike.

This sums it up nicely for the OP. In a nutshell.

Last night I did an aero tuck coming down the mountain in Innsbruck (zwift) and my top tube didn't crack once. :ph34r:

I also tapped the frame on my BMC between the headset and seat post and you can hear where the carbon is thick and where it's not.  From half way along it starts thickening up and feels solid.  I've also sat on my top tube like Savage above without breaking it, but I've never sat on it while descending...

The question after all the efforts of the OP to point out the dangers thereof....

Statically or dynamically, will you continue to sit on your top tube... ??

Trying to drag this out to Friday.