Diagnosed with stage 4 cancer - the long winding road it has become

Cois

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got back from the chemo session.

Doctor was pleased with my rash (it means the Erbitux is working well), but she did increase the dose of the FU5 with 250mg.

Had a little struggle getting to my car and getting up the stairs, but traffic was light and can still pull myself up the stairs by my arms.

My brother from Mosselbay surprised me with a visit and a school friend that works for CANSA also swung past the unit. And the support dogs was there as well today. So feeling a lot better. I did not understand the friends and family for support, but today I do!

Thanks as well for all the well wishes! You have no idea how much it means for me!

All of the best. We pray for a speedy recovery and that the chemo side effects will be gone quickly. Be strong

Just got back from the chemo session.

Doctor was pleased with my rash (it means the Erbitux is working well), but she did increase the dose of the FU5 with 250mg.

Had a little struggle getting to my car and getting up the stairs, but traffic was light and can still pull myself up the stairs by my arms.

My brother from Mosselbay surprised me with a visit and a school friend that works for CANSA also swung past the unit. And the support dogs was there as well today. So feeling a lot better. I did not understand the friends and family for support, but today I do!

Thanks as well for all the well wishes! You have no idea how much it means for me!

Every day you fight, is a day you have won, and is a day closer to beating this thing!

Hello Cois, been having a few battles of our own so I haven’t been checking in much on the hub lately but you are never far from my thoughts. This is going to sound odd but by sharing your experiences with us you’ve given me strength to deal with stuff in a way that I didn’t know I could. My partner is going through a very rough time health-wise but more than that a friend has recently been diagnosed with stage 3b cervical cancer. She didn’t leave it late but has been back and forth trying to get a diagnosis for ages. What was/is cancer was diagnosed as infections. Last week she thought she was going to start chemo but was told to go home. The cancer has spread to her kidneys. She can only get a booking for radiation in November, as her only option is through public health. Someone is trying to get her in earlier elsewhere but for now she is just trying to hang in there. So on one of her good days we met for coffee, a long chat, some tears, some laughs and lots of hugs. I’m not good at this stuff and I can’t say why or how but somehow you have touched me with your fight so that I have been able to reach out just a little to her. You and everyone participating in this thread....

Cois, please take both arms, wrap them tight around yourself and give yourself a big hug from me.

Hello Cois, been having a few battles of our own so I haven’t been checking in much on the hub lately but you are never far from my thoughts. This is going to sound odd but by sharing your experiences with us you’ve given me strength to deal with stuff in a way that I didn’t know I could. My partner is going through a very rough time health-wise but more than that a friend has recently been diagnosed with stage 3b cervical cancer. She didn’t leave it late but has been back and forth trying to get a diagnosis for ages. What was/is cancer was diagnosed as infections. Last week she thought she was going to start chemo but was told to go home. The cancer has spread to her kidneys. She can only get a booking for radiation in November, as her only option is through public health. Someone is trying to get her in earlier elsewhere but for now she is just trying to hang in there. So on one of her good days we met for coffee, a long chat, some tears, some laughs and lots of hugs. I’m not good at this stuff and I can’t say why or how but somehow you have touched me with your fight so that I have been able to reach out just a little to her. You and everyone participating in this thread....

Cois, please take both arms, wrap them tight around yourself and give yourself a big hug from me.

I am not going to lie, but tears are streaming down my face!

Wish I could help more. Where is she located?

The problem with the piss poor public health system (thanks to the corrupt ANC) is that you need someone to get you in and start treatment ASAP. Cancer waits for no one!

One thing she must do is contact CANSA ASAP! The Cancer fight is not a fight you can take on yourself. You need people around you. And not negative people! The outlook at most state hospitals are that you are just another person. And that breaks one!

Please tell her that she matters! I will be adding her to my prayer list. Cancer can be beaten and there is hope! She must stand strong (I know it sounds easy but some days it is not possible) and not give cancer a gap to screw with her mind.

I am not going to lie, but tears are streaming down my face!

Wish I could help more. Where is she located?

The problem with the piss poor public health system (thanks to the corrupt ANC) is that you need someone to get you in and start treatment ASAP. Cancer waits for no one!

One thing she must do is contact CANSA ASAP! The Cancer fight is not a fight you can take on yourself. You need people around you. And not negative people! The outlook at most state hospitals are that you are just another person. And that breaks one!

Please tell her that she matters! I will be adding her to my prayer list. Cancer can be beaten and there is hope! She must stand strong (I know it sounds easy but some days it is not possible) and not give cancer a gap to screw with her mind.

Hi Cois, thanks for this! Don't know why I never thought of CANSA - will see about that here.  We do have a great Hospice that runs a support group too. She has a friend she looks up to who had breast cancer who is giving her support and advice.  So far she seems to be doing everything right but has a lot of pain at times.  She is avoiding opioids for as long as she can.  I mentioned cannabis oil but neither of us know much about it or where to get it.  Presumably it's now legal so does she need a prescription or something?

The irony is it was a state doctor who took 2 hours to do a history and thorough exam and worked out what was wrong, whereas the private doctors she had gone to repeatedly prescribed antibiotics. I cannot get my head around that.  However, the focus is on the future, now.

Her name is Nox (Noxolo). I will tell her about you and I know she will pray for you too.

Take care. Like I said, you may feel everything is a battle and you have little to contribute right now because you have to focus on beating this, but actually, you ARE contributing and HAVE helped me and Nox. So hang onto that thought when things get tough!

PS Nox has a four-year old boy so it was me who had tears streaming down my face when I read about the puppy earlier in this thread (*insert upside-down smiley here).

Hi Cois, thanks for this! Don't know why I never thought of CANSA - will see about that here. We do have a great Hospice that runs a support group too. She has a friend she looks up to who had breast cancer who is giving her support and advice. So far she seems to be doing everything right but has a lot of pain at times. She is avoiding opioids for as long as she can. I mentioned cannabis oil but neither of us know much about it or where to get it. Presumably it's now legal so does she need a prescription or something?

The irony is it was a state doctor who took 2 hours to do a history and thorough exam and worked out what was wrong, whereas the private doctors she had gone to repeatedly prescribed antibiotics. I cannot get my head around that. However, the focus is on the future, now.

Her name is Nox (Noxolo). I will tell her about you and I know she will pray for you too.

Take care. Like I said, you may feel everything is a battle and you have little to contribute right now because you have to focus on beating this, but actually, you ARE contributing and HAVE helped me and Nox. So hang onto that thought when things get tough!

PS Nox has a four-year old boy so it was me who had tears streaming down my face when I read about the puppy earlier in this thread (*insert upside-down smiley here).

Hope that she recovers fully - heartbreaking

Cois you have been quiet .... hope you are doing okay !

Hi ChrisF

Been a recovery week.

Have been working on some transcripts on Rev.com for a bit of income so took up a lot of time

Have not been able to sleep for the past week because of the pain from the acne like rash caused by the Erbitux. Got some sleeping tabs to knock me out, as I am starting to hallucinate and see things that are not there.

My brother and his fiancé was in Gauteng for training this week. So went to my folks today and spent some much needed family time.

The side effects of the Erbitux is starting to get to me. The constant pain and itching is driving me nuts. Been using antibiotics twice per day for the past week, and will have to use the antibiotics till the end of the Erbitux treatment.

But all in all things are going well. And the support from BikeHub keeps me going at this stage. Without you guys and girls behind me, I would have given up this fight, because this is a fight you can’t take on by yourself!

Oh and as a treat... here is a pick of Max and Abby. Had a load of fun this evening with them and a laser. Thought cats loved playing with the little red dot, but Max and Abby went nuts. Max was still looking for the missing red light that he tried to catch...

2c6af9b4722939976bff16fb4d66c272.jpg

Little Max (the softest little pup)

6c8261376ee0eeef9949ed733c841a4a.jpg

Abby wit the longest wagger in the house

e27faf08f1959b40dd94ea101472e513.jpg

Edited by Cois

Hi ChrisF

Been a recovery week.

Have been working on some transcripts on Rev.com for a bit of income so took up a lot of time

Have not been able to sleep for the past week because of the pain from the acne like rash caused by the Erbitux. Got some sleeping tabs to knock me out, as I am starting to hallucinate and see things that are not there.

My brother and his fiancé was in Gauteng for training this week. So went to my folks today and spent some much needed family time.

The side effects of the Erbitux is starting to get to me. The constant pain and itching is driving me nuts. Been using antibiotics twice per day for the past week, and will have to use the antibiotics till the end of the Erbitux treatment.

But all in all things are going well. And the support from BikeHub keeps me going at this stage. Without you guys and girls behind me, I would have given up this fight, because this is a fight you can’t take on by yourself!

Oh and as a treat... here is a pick of Max and Abby. Had a load of fun this evening with them and a laser. Thought cats loved playing with the little red dot, but Max and Abby went nuts. Max was still looking for the missing red light that he tried to catch...

2c6af9b4722939976bff16fb4d66c272.jpg

Little Max (the softest little pup)

6c8261376ee0eeef9949ed733c841a4a.jpg

Abby wit the longest wagger in the house

e27faf08f1959b40dd94ea101472e513.jpg

Bud, I think I sold one of my bikes tonight.

Send me your details and I'll see how I can use that sale to help you