Diagnosed with stage 4 cancer - the long winding road it has become

Cois

Yeah it is a battle...he does a bit of hunting here and there and has some game in the freezer so that helps bit with meat options.

I found a sugar free Rooibos Iced tea recipe that I will make for when he is here....I checked with his wife to make sure about sugar in fruits..he just can't have grapes or Bananas.. so will add some berries to it.

Besides being tired he has some pain but it is under control atm.

Pain is a huge problem. Most doctors are scared to give pain meds. The guy who operated on me gave me pain meds that did not work at all. Prescribed me other pain meds, that worked a bit, but after being admitted to hospital the internist said he does not want me to suffer and prescribed a pain patch. And it worked great. No pain for 7 days. Just sad it stopped working, and the pain is back.

I wonder about grapes. It is my number one weakness. And I am not allowed to eat grapes as well. Not even most berries including blueberries! And most juices are out as well. If given a choice I will rather drink stokkies Rooibos tea that has been cooled.

If you can hunt your own meat things are better. At least you know it is clean

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pain is a huge problem. Most doctors are scared to give pain meds. The guy who operated on me gave me pain meds that did not work at all. Prescribed me other pain meds, that worked a bit, but after being admitted to hospital the internist said he does not want me to suffer and prescribed a pain patch. And it worked great. No pain for 7 days. Just sad it stopped working, and the pain is back.

I wonder about grapes. It is my number one weakness. And I am not allowed to eat grapes as well. Not even most berries including blueberries! And most juices are out as well. If given a choice I will rather drink stokkies Rooibos tea that has been cooled.

If you can hunt your own meat things are better. At least you know it is clean

I assume as he gets more treatment ([emoji1696]) the side effects will worsen.

I think we all know his chances are very slim as pancreatic cancer is almost always a death sentence the Dr said if treatment works they can hopefully give him 2 years..but he is so determined and has always been strong mentally.

Edited by Gen

I assume as he gets more treatment ([emoji1696]) the side effects will worsen.

I think we all know his chances are very slim as pancreatic cancer is almost always a death sentence the Dr said if treatment works they can hopefully give him 2 years..but he is so determined and has always been strong mentally.

Sorry to hear this. Hope he gets a good outcome. This thread has made me terrified, sad, grateful, hopeful, happy, angry and pretty much every other emotion over time. Reading some of the stories that people have shared have been inspiring as well. Good luck to all.

If human trails begin and has the same outcome it would be a major breakthrough.

Lets hope it is not like Cannabis on mice that does not yield the same results on humans.

I pray that this will work in humans as well.

The day that there is a cancer treatment that can eradicate this disease it will be one of the best days ever! Know there was a few sites that mentioned a vaccine, and it will be great if you can vaccinate people against this monster. No one deserves to have cancer!

Edited by Cois

My mom removed the stitches of my wound today. The clips was removed the first time I was released from hospital, but they left the stitches. Went to the doctor to have the stitches removed, but the nurse said it was to soon, but they can remove it on the 2nd of January. But the stitches needed to be removed already. My skin started to cover 8 of the 25 stitches that my mom removed.

Feels a lot better as I can raise my head without the stitches pulling my wound.

Now just to phone the doctor next week to get my liver sorted... oh and the infection to get sorted that still plagues me.

Lets hope it is not like Cannabis on mice that does not yield the same results on humans.

I pray that this will work in humans as well.

The day that there is a cancer treatment that can eradicate this disease it will be one of the best days ever! No one deserves to have cancer!

the sad reality is that cancers differ .... doubt we will ever have a one treatment that works for all cancers.

YES, it would be excellent news if this new treatment even eradicates just one type of cancer.

worth noting how many cancer treatments have spilled over to other fields, and are even better at treating other medical conditions.  Methotrexate being a perfect example.

Thinking of you. Hope 2020 treats you and your family well.

Thanks Cat-I

Have a consult on the 15th with the surgeon for the liver resection.

Tomorrow morning i have an appointment to have the drain removed. Have to drive for the first time in more than a month. So feeling a little nervous about that

Drain was removed this morning. Very weird feeling of the thing being removed.

And got bumped to the 8th of Jan to see the doctor. My liver is giving me some problems and hurting a lot, so the nurse checked and bumped me up on the list to see the doctor, as it is just a consult to make a date so to speak...

I woke up to darkness a few seconds after load shedding started at 01h00.

I woke from a nasty dream. One thing I am not looking forward to is the anaesthesia. The mask that the give you said oxygen sends me into a panic every time. That deep darkness and quiet that follows and then a few seconds later (or so it feels) you awake to pain and a doctor attempting to keep you awake.

Just that darkness and the smell of whatever they mix with oxygen. And that closed mask... Just the thought raises my heart rate by 30!

Anyone with tips on how to cope with that? The calming agent the anesthesiologist gives beforehand does not help much. As soon as I enter the theatre adrenalin kicks in and I want out. The last time I even pushed the mask away...

Just returned from the doctor. Next week Wednesday he will operate my liver. Due to the location of the tumor I will lose my Gallbladder as well. There is one nymph node that lighted up on the CT so that must be removed as well.

Will be admitted the Tuesday to run a few tests and to make sure everything is okay with me.

So bit nervous. The operation sounds to be another major operation, so another long term in High Care awaits me.

Brave man Cois.

Just returned from the doctor. Next week Wednesday he will operate my liver. Due to the location of the tumor I will lose my Gallbladder as well. There is one nymph node that lighted up on the CT so that must be removed as well.

Will be admitted the Tuesday to run a few tests and to make sure everything is okay with me.

So bit nervous. The operation sounds to be another major operation, so another long term in High Care awaits me.