Diagnosed with stage 4 cancer - the long winding road it has become

Cois

100%, but they billed for a product in full that they then got back.

Surely only a handling fee is sufficient. Unless the product is unsusable due to temp fluctuations, etc. This is doubtful though.....

Simple question. Would you want to receive a transfusion with blood after the cold chain was broken? Blood is living tissue and is treated the same way as organs during transplants. Its not a foiled wrapped pill that can go back on a shelf.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Simple question. Would you want to receive a transfusion with blood after the cold chain was broken? Blood is living tissue and is treated the same way as organs during transplants. Its not a foiled wrapped pill that can go back on a shelf.

If handled correctly then the cold chain should not be broken until the blood is actually used.

If done correctly, no reason why it can't be shipped back and forth multiple times with very low risk........

I have to agree with Steven on this one. Everything transpired within the 4 walls of the Kloof hospital & not some dodgy alleyway in Hillbrow.

Yes, a porter took it from their storage over to the refrigeration unit within the theater only to be sent back again. I agree that the blood could have been exposed to some of the elements within the hospital but surely they could just run some additional tests once the blood is received back to establish if it has been compromised in any way.

I am sure that Momentum and or Cois would be more than willing to foot the bill for those test rather than having to pay for blood which probably gets used elsewhere. I can guess that they did not chuck the blood down the drain after receiving it back. 

I suppose one could fight this, I mean if you're wiling to go through the mission of getting the paper trail as to where it went and how it was handled then one could argue that you as the patient never took ownership of the item in question therefore you should not be held liable to pay for it. I wonder if there is some or other medical body that will be willing to take this on. Is there not a medical ombudsmen or something? 

It is unfair to say the least. Unfortunately in my view this is a losing battle and one will have no other option but to pay for it. 

I have to agree with Steven on this one. Everything transpired within the 4 walls of the Kloof hospital & not some dodgy alleyway in Hillbrow.

Yes, a porter took it from their storage over to the refrigeration unit within the theater only to be sent back again. I agree that the blood could have been exposed to some of the elements within the hospital but surely they could just run some additional tests once the blood is received back to establish if it has been compromised in any way.

I am sure that Momentum and or Cois would be more than willing to foot the bill for those test rather than having to pay for blood which probably gets used elsewhere. I can guess that they did not chuck the blood down the drain after receiving it back.

I suppose one could fight this, I mean if you're wiling to go through the mission of getting the paper trail as to where it went and how it was handled then one could argue that you as the patient never took ownership of the item in question therefore you should not be held liable to pay for it. I wonder if there is some or other medical body that will be willing to take this on. Is there not a medical ombudsmen or something?

It is unfair to say the least. Unfortunately in my view this is a losing battle and one will have no other option but to pay for it.

Google. The first result is a 74page study on transfused blood cold chain. There are so many variables involved that can make blood unusable.

There are a number of questionable practices that go on in the medical field. 

Laboratories are the first ones that spring to mind. 

was yours a planned procedure? if so...then blood products should not have been ordered as an emergency basis...you might have a case if so....

Yeah, the hospital knew I was going for a liver operation.  AFAIK they always order blood for work on the liver.  Will find out at the surgeon what can be done.

Yeah, the hospital knew I was going for a liver operation.  AFAIK they always order blood for work on the liver.  Will find out at the surgeon what can be done.

Cois, been watching this fred for loooong time, just never posted....

I asked the better half about this - she's been a registered nurse for 36 years and 30+ of those in hospitals and theater.

She says its standard procedure from the blood service - the blood is "matched" to you and can therefore not be re-used.

Also the med aid will not pay for something that was not used (she commented that they should have just given you the blood, then the med aid would have paid...)

Someone apparently did mess up when they requested the blood - although 2 units for a liver op is also standard. Question why on emergency basis if it was a scheduled procedure....

Keep pushing. And strongs.

Hoe gaan dit Francois ?

Self nou al n maand van die fiets af .... nou by die bio-kinetikus .... MIS die fiets .... en dan onthou ek daar is mense met regte probleme !!

VOORSPOED ou vriend !!!! :thumbup:

Gaan goed Chris. Kan al goed rond dra. Die diet is steeds ‘n probleem en mis die kos wat ek nie mag eet nie soos slaai en daai lekker haas kos.

Ek is so lus om fiets te ry, maar die laaste snit is nog bietjie tender so wil nie kan vat nie.

Sterkte daai kant!

Found out why my recovery was this quick.

The Doctor did a microwave Ablation and could not cut the liver due to the proximity of a major vein.

So only the 2.5cm lesion was cooked. That is also the R27000 that the medical aid does not want to pay.

It still is a very tender area due to the 30cm + incision and the internal stitches that still remind me that they are there.

Can’t wait to get on the bike again!

• 2 weeks later...

Some great news. The doctor wrote a letter to the medical aid explaining why the ablation of the cancer was done and why he did not cut part of my liver out.

So the medical aid paid the almost R28000 for the procedure.

Now the nerves are kicking in as the next operation looms in my future. Not something I am looking forward to in all honesty

how you going there champ?

Taking a bit of strain at the moment to be honest.

The company decided to change the scope of my work, so doing the work of 3 people. I did injure myself again (where they operated on the liver) when I had to carry 3 24” screens for a kilometer to my car. And they just pile on the work because one guy drank the wrong pills and the other guys just do as they like and I have to go and mop up behind them.

But other than the nagging injury to my right side that does not want to heal, things are going well. Going to Koro Koro this weekend with the folks (the got a free weekend there) so hope to have a restful weekend. Getting to be outside is much better than being inside. Just forgot how bright it can be and how fast sunburn can happen.

Take it easy there lad. Great to hear that there is some small level of normalcy for you at the moment. 

The company decided to change the scope of my work, so doing the work of 3 people. I did injure myself again (where they operated on the liver) when I had to carry 3 24” screens for a kilometer to my car. And they just pile on the work because one guy drank the wrong pills and the other guys just do as they like and I have to go and mop up behind them.

But other than the nagging injury to my right side that does not want to heal, things are going well. Going to Koro Koro this weekend with the folks (the got a free weekend there) so hope to have a restful weekend. Getting to be outside is much better than being inside. Just forgot how bright it can be and how fast sunburn can happen.

ahhhh fresh air, nature and getting away from the rat race is the best medicine.

Lekker, enjoy!