Diagnosed with stage 4 cancer - the long winding road it has become

Cois

Still a long road of recovery ahead, but things are moving into the right direction at least

hi Robbert.
They surgeon is only now going to close the wound. Wait for it to heal, see if I can get my insides going again, reverse the ileostomy, check the tumor in my liver, remove that, and then start chemo again.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got a call. Will be back in theatre for closure of the wounds.

At least in the surgical ward I can sleep

Go strong brother. It is one hell of a journey you’re on, but I trust and believe that you are moving in the right direction.

Back in Kloof Hospital.

Possible blood clot in my lungs. Infection count is also very high, as well as white blood cell count.

Back in Kloof Hospital.

Possible blood clot in my lungs. Infection count is also very high, as well as white blood cell count.

Hope you’re better soon and back home

Thinking of you, and your family.

I have mentioned my neighbour earlier in this thread, mid 80's.  Her daughter is her only living relative in SA.  Daughter had her 6th chemo this week ... IF her counts were okay ....  She has always been a slender woman, now just a "bag of bones"  :wacko:

Sad to see how this disease breaks down a strong person.

SAD to see how the family suffers ....

Cois wishing this is just a small hurdle, and that you will be home with your family for Christmas.

Going home today again.

The CT Scan came back as clear. So no blood clots left in my lungs.

The infection I have, can be dealt with at home as there is less chance of picking up another bug from other patients in the wards.

Going home today again.

The CT Scan came back as clear. So no blood clots left in my lungs.

The infection I have, can be dealt with at home as there is less chance of picking up another bug from other patients in the wards.

Awesome Cois

Glad you are going home for Christmas.

Hope you have a fantastic last couple of day in 2019 and just onwards and upwards in 2020  :thumbup:

My husband's cousin was diagnosed with stage 4 pancreatic cancer in Oct...they are very close. It is also in his spleen, liver and lymph.. inoperable and the prognosis is not good. A man that would give you the shirt off his back..

He is fighter though and has been through 2 rounds of chemo this Dec..he is very tired and lost all of his hair after the first round. He has also lost 40kg since treatment started.. he told me that he did tell me the the extra weight would come in handy some time. If his bloodwork is good he will start his next round on the 7th after which they will know if chemo is working.

The biggest adjustment has been his diet (well not that he has much of an appetite)

Only free range products as he can't consume any hormones and zero sugar..

I laughed at him, phoned to find out what he can and can't consume as we have our annual new years eve kuier which will be on the 30th to coincide with my son's 18th and asked him what can he drink..Water and Rooibos tea..he has a killer sense of humour though.

Edited by Gen

My husband's cousin was diagnosed with stage 4 pancreatic cancer in Oct...they are very close. It is also in his spleen, liver and lymph.. inoperable and the prognosis is not good. A man that would give you the shirt off his back..

He is fighter though and has been through 2 rounds of chemo this Dec..he is very tired and lost all of his hair after the first round. He has also lost 40kg since treatment started.. he told me that he did tell me the the extra weight would come in handy some time. If his bloodwork is good he will start his next round on the 7th after which they will know if chemo is working.

The biggest adjustment has been his diet (well not that he has much of an appetite)

Only free range products as he can't consume any hormones and zero sugar..

I laughed at him, phoned to find out what he can and can't consume as we have our annual new years eve kuier which will be on the 30th to coincide with my son's 18th and asked him what can he drink..Water and Rooibos tea..he has a killer sense of humour though.

Pancreatic cancer is the worst. And the chemo they use is bad. I had some crap chemo sessions, but it is not a match against pancreatic cancers chemo therapy.

And a bit of extra weight helps with the chemo and effects of chemo.

And know the water and rooibos thing. Started drinking Lipton Ice tea just to have a little bit of change.

Problem with South Africa is that there is no regulations regarding free range products. They can’t say that a product has no added hormones even though it says free range.

I have lost all trust in farmers and stores. They will say anything to make a few bucks from anyone. Even had a butcher tell me that the sausages had no pork. Then a week later the same sausages had a ingredients list, and pork was one of the main ingredients. I no longer support that store (Spar in Solomon Mahlangu Road)

Pancreatic cancer is the worst. And the chemo they use is bad. I had some crap chemo sessions, but it is not a match against pancreatic cancers chemo therapy.

And a bit of extra weight helps with the chemo and effects of chemo.

And know the water and rooibos thing. Started drinking Lipton Ice tea just to have a little bit of change.

Problem with South Africa is that there is no regulations regarding free range products. They can’t say that a product has no added hormones even though it says free range.

I have lost all trust in farmers and stores. They will say anything to make a few bucks from anyone. Even had a butcher tell me that the sausages had no pork. Then a week later the same sausages had a ingredients list, and pork was one of the main ingredients. I no longer support that store (Spar in Solomon Mahlangu Road)

Yeah it is a battle...he does a bit of hunting here and there and has some game in the freezer so that helps bit with meat options.

I found a sugar free Rooibos Iced tea recipe that I will make for when he is here....I checked with his wife to make sure about sugar in fruits..he just can't have grapes or Bananas.. so will add some berries to it.

Besides being tired he has some pain but it is under control atm.