2020 Tour de France

pista

The fans stop watching. The TV paycheck goes away, and so do the salaries.

Yeah erm they actually make zero money from fans or broadcasting rights.. teams do not share in broadcasting revenue.. that all goes to the organisers.

Sure if everyone stops watching there is no cycling.. but to say they ride for the fans is nonsense

They found themselves to be pretty good cyclist and are lucky enough to make a living from it.. same as any pro sportsman.

Edited by Gen

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

can't remember details of any tour since 1999 except 2011

So, you just stopped watching the TdF?

There have been some pretty epic battles since then. Contador-Lance; Wiggo - Froome; as well as some epic rides, Lance on the Ventoux, Lance on Hautacam, Contador vs Andy (chaingate) Froome running uphill.

Geez.

How books and documentaries on that tour de France.

Lemond expected Hinault to ride in front and lead out Lemond whenever necessary. 

Hinault decides that Lemond must show some chatzpah and come take the yellow jersey.

Lemond moaning about his team mate

Hinault, tomorrow we race again/

best tour ever. I can remember every stage of tha tour.

can't remember details of any tour since 1999 except 2011 when Tommie I'm in pain Voeckler was in yellow for 11 days

oh that I remember being on the side of the road on the climb to alpe d'huez as a 8 yr old lightie... it was mad

WTF? The books??????

We are cyclists not accountants! ( well, ok I am an accountant - full disclosure)

Let the sodding Ineos outfit P*ss off and read books

This is the TDF. not a local junior crit whose result gets posted in the local free rag outside SPAR.

They are not racing for the books. They are racing for me and you, the fans.

Let them go out and F**********king earn strava segments if thats all they want

Perhaps you wanna tell us how you really feel?

You're right, they're not racing for the books, and it is the TDF. And they want to win it. That's all that matters. They don't care if you find their racing boring, if it's what gets them the yellow jersey after 3 weeks in France, they're gonna do it.

(by the way, Top 3 bikes yesterday were all on disk brakes...)

the indurain years were crap. do nothing and wait for the time trial...

Two words for you (ok, I could give you many)

Chiappucci Sestriere .

Yeah erm they actually make zero money from fans or broadcasting rights.. teams do not share in broadcasting revenue.. that all goes to the organisers.

Sure if everyone stops watching there is no cycling.. but to say they ride for the fans is nonsense

They found themselves to be pretty good cyclist and are lucky enough to make a living from it.. same as any pro sportsman.

well not complete nonsens. They do ride for all of the above:

Fans,

pay checks

infamy

book deals (retirement plan) 

movie deals (if your name is Lance Armstrong)

its like a regular job, you work with a group of people to acheive an outcome.

Sponsors want exposure. days in a Jersey assures good exposure,

getting caught doping isn't 

But there's no bad publicity. just try to the keep the ad as sort lived as possible.

In Sales they refer to share of wallet.

in televised sports to the talk of share of airtime (or exposure)

What it isn't is a popularity contest, its Not Survivor but it is at a certain level. Probably closer to the bachelor...

essentially its guys (and gals) trying to rise above the pile and increase their net worth. Some with do that with their legs (lemond, Hinault, Merckx et al, others with needles ( cue the confessional) 

The marketing of their achievements has benefit to both rider, team and sponsors long term, not just in the moment of LeTour. For Example, La Vie Claire team kitis still highly sort after as is Z Vetements, and others (Pity La Vie Claire no longer exists as a company but the books talking to the era still sell. Its all about extracting maximum brand value 

Edited by DieselnDust

well not complete nonsens. They do ride for all of the above:

Fans,

pay checks

infamy

book deals (retirement plan) 

movie deals (if your name is Lance Armstrong)

Lance did it for none of those things.

There's a reason he and Eddy got on so well. Lance did it to win. 

With the Form(olo) that Formolo is in, I wouldn't be surprised if he takes on that number 2 workload.

But ja, I guess taking Kristoff AND having GC hopes is always a gamble with 8 team members.

Viking is here as support for flat stages and is free to sprint should he want.

Team has 1 focus only.

So, you just stopped watching the TdF?

There have been some pretty epic battles since then. Contador-Lance; Wiggo - Froome; as well as some epic rides, Lance on the Ventoux, Lance on Hautacam, Contador vs Andy (chaingate) Froome running uphill.

Geez.

LOL ok let me be more clear. I can recall far more memories from the 1986 tour than I can from the recent tours combined. I can't remember the Armstrong tours because the men in black wiped out my 7 tours memory. :)

And back to the racing, heavy rain and miserable, raincoats on.... not many smiles, still 147.5kms to go

They can't catch a break.. yet even with the all 4 season in a day and season turning...we'll still have a flippen dry Roubaix [emoji24] Edited by Gen

Lance did it for none of those things.

There's a reason he and Eddy got on so well. Lance did it to win. 

not just to win. to Win, rub the noses of other dopers in  the win (basically everyone bar Cadel Evans cos he was so clean he's voice got squeaky), p*ss all over Cofidis for dropping him in his darkest hour, and to just dominate the tour in every way possible but I can't really remember 

Viking is here as support for flat stages and is free to sprint should he want.

Team has 1 focus only.

Ai... will you kindly break the news to him softly that in that case I will need to sub him out of my fantasy team. Was hoping for a serious go at the Green from The Viking.

On the flipside, happy to hear Pogacar has full team support behind him.