Site Update: What's New & Feedback

Matt

nope, on my computer it does it. on the phone I use Tapatalk so have not noticed it.

Weird

I dont have a problem.Click on forums and there they all are

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe its just me, but on this new site I cant find the list of highest rated hubbers anywhere? In fact just finding the members list took ages, and I don't even know how I got there. Lastly, how would you go about editing a comment / rating you have left for another user? Is there anyway you guys could make it easier? 

I'm having an issue with email notifications for the past few days - they've become very random - every now and then an email notification comes through but not all of them and for some topics I'm following I get no notifications at all.

No, not at this stage. 

For the purposes of protecting the community from potential scams or bad deals we'd rather users report the suspicious content for review/removal.

While comments were helpful in this area, the best solution is to remove the content and ban the user. Very often we found numerous comments on a dodgy ad but had no reports and as a result a problematic ad was live for hours or even days before we were alerted to it.

We will explore an idea to empower a limited group of users aka "classifieds moderators" to flag an advert for review. The thinking would be to allow such users to temporarily remove an advert from listings pending review by our team in certain circumstances. But, we need to fine tune the thinking and execution of this.

I also liked the comments section for ads - I know the comments could sometimes get out of hand, but in general I found them useful that you could check for answered questions that were missing from the ad or other hubbers could give advice on weather or not a part would work on someone's bike.

what's the optimal size for ads so the photo will be perfectly sized for the thumbnail as well as the ad before someone expands the ad 

I also liked the comments section for ads - I know the comments could sometimes get out of hand, but in general I found them useful that you could check for answered questions that were missing from the ad or other hubbers could give advice on weather or not a part would work on someone's bike.

Add me to the list of people who misses classifieds comments.

Without comments it is just gumtree with a login and some bells.

I was actually reading an old (think 2017) issue of GO! magazine where they had a mtb buyers guide feature. They listed 2nd hand options as bikehub.co.za classifieds and the main reason was not the scope of products, but that as a beginner(their readership) you had a measure of protection with forum members on the lookout for charlatans.

i don't buy the 'comments are killing the sale' line, if your ad is legit, then no valid comments can derail it. if someone makes a Bs comment on item or pricing, then that can replied to, with fact.

I also miss the comments for ads...

I found it very useful. People often make mistakes in their ads, like the wrong year model. Using a PM, they normally don't change the ad, and just ignore.

Edited by greg_sa

When on the home page I can't see the recent ads anymore, the thumbnails are hidden

It's like the logo, featured and recent ads are only text and then forums

Tried multiple devices and different network

Also search function, why doesn't it work on thread tittle? Searched 'update' and couldn't find this thread, when searching 'feedback' I found it at the bottom of page 2

What am I supposed to search?

When on the home page I can't see the recent ads anymore, the thumbnails are hidden

Also search function, why doesn't it work on thread tittle? Searched 'update' and couldn't find this thread, when searching 'feedback' I found it at the bottom of page 2

Same here.

On my pc I did a CTRL-F5, which fixed being able to see the ads there for me.

On the phone... I will test clearing cache

Edit:clearing my phone browser cache worked

Edited by HdB

The issue related to ads on the home page should be fixed now. Ctrl + F5 or CMD + R would have fixed it as HdB suggested, but we've made an update to ensure this isn't necessary going forward.

Regarding search, we do know search in the forums is not great: it's always been unreliable and slow. Oddly when searching "update" I do find this thread as the first result. It will be vastly improved with the forum platform update due in the early part of this year.

Same here.

On my pc I did a CTRL-F5, which fixed being able to see the ads there for me.

On the phone... I will test clearing cache

Edit:clearing my phone browser cache worked

Also cannot see the ads when on a Samsung Tablet

If it's still not working this may be unrelated to the issue above. Older versions of the built in Samsung browser don't play nicely with our site, however Chrome should be installed by default and should work fine.

The issue related to ads on the home page should be fixed now. Ctrl + F5 or CMD + R would have fixed it as HdB suggested, but we've made an update to ensure this isn't necessary going forward.

Regarding search, we do know search in the forums is not great: it's always been unreliable and slow. Oddly when searching "update" I do find this thread as the first result. It will be vastly improved with the forum platform update due in the early part of this year.

If it's still not working this may be unrelated to the issue above. Older versions of the built in Samsung browser don't play nicely with our site, however Chrome should be installed by default and should work fine.

Am using Chrome and was working fine on the Samsung up until yesterday.  On my work computer this morning (Win10) also had the same issue.  Then did a clear cache as mentioned above and is now working.

by not great, you meant to say uberdubercrapolicious

taking away the "advanced " search has limited things tremendously.

case in point, search for "dlamini" under "forums"

https://community.bikehub.co.za/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=search&fromMainBar=1

You get mentions in three threads.

put this into your browser:

site:community.bikehub.co.za/topic dlamini

and you get way more. 

in 2020, we have had google for like 2 decades now. SEARCH is vital, and in the bikkehub good search reduces duplication and timewasted looking for stuff, or even worse, not finding what you're looking for even though it was there.

I don't even bother with the current search function, just happy to use captain google like above. I know you (ie. bikehub wekkers) know this and trust you're working on improving it, but reckon the rest of the general hublic should realise how uberdubercrapolicious it is incase they didn't

by not great, you meant to say uberdubercrapolicious

taking away the "advanced " search has limited things tremendously.

case in point, search for "dlamini" under "forums"

https://community.bikehub.co.za/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=search&fromMainBar=1

You get mentions in three threads.

put this into your browser:

site:community.bikehub.co.za/topic dlamini

and you get way more. 

in 2020, we have had google for like 2 decades now. SEARCH is vital, and in the bikkehub good search reduces duplication and timewasted looking for stuff, or even worse, not finding what you're looking for even though it was there.

I don't even bother with the current search function, just happy to use captain google like above. I know you (ie. bikehub wekkers) know this and trust you're working on improving it, but reckon the rest of the general hublic should realise how uberdubercrapolicious it is incase they didn't

You can still access the "Advanced Search" via the Forums > Search the forums link (it was going to the wrong place, this has now been fixed.)

Here is the link: https://community.bikehub.co.za/index.php?app=core&module=search

But yes, forum search in general is in dire need of improvement.... #changeiscoming 

Okay but why advanced search to find a topic?

I'd say title is the only thing it should try to match and then maybe after the first search you can select tags/key words to get preference