Cape Town Cycle Tour 2021

Chingy182

I have been looking at flights and accommodation today.

I get a discount at protea hotels so will probably go with them, there are a few of them near the start/finish area. A question to the locals, any suggestion as to which one to choose? It needs to be one that I can be able to leave for the airport around lunchtime on the Sunday so mustn't be blocked by the road closures. As well as being within riding distance to and from the start/finish.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been looking at flights and accommodation today.

I get a discount at protea hotels so will probably go with them, there are a few of them near the start/finish area. A question to the locals, any suggestion as to which one to choose? It needs to be one that I can be able to leave for the airport around lunchtime on the Sunday so mustn't be blocked by the road closures. As well as being within riding distance to and from the start/finish.

Protea Hotel by Marriott Cape Town North Wharf

This one is on the Foreshore and between the start and finish. It should be easy to vacate of your way to the airport. It is the more expensive of the 3.

Protea Hotel by Marriott Cape Town Victoria Junction

This also between the start and finish. Also should not be an issue to get to the airport. Nicer area with more restaurants and vibe. Cheaper than above. Personally, I'd pick this one.

Edited by DJR

Protea Hotel by Marriott Cape Town Cape Castle

Still between start and finish, but close to the finish. Still should be easy to get to the airport. Also a nice area with lots of restaurants and a vibe. Cheapest option.

Protea Hotel by Marriott Cape Town North Wharf

This one is on the Foreshore and between the start and finish. It should be easy to vacate of your way to the airport. It is the more expensive of the 3.

Protea Hotel by Marriott Cape Town Victoria Junction

This also between the start and finish. Also should not be an issue to get to the airport. Nicer area with more restaurants and vibe. Cheaper than above. Personally, I'd pick this one.

Protea Hotel by Marriott Cape Town Cape Castle

Still between start and finish, but close to the finish. Still should be easy to get to the airport. Also a nice area with lots of restaurants and a vibe. Cheapest option.

Thank You!!!!! This helps a lot. I will check pricing but I get a 45% discount so it luckily helps a lot. As soon as we know about entries I will book flights and accommodation.

Very sad news about uncle Paul's passing. In my youth was involved with the Rotary club with big walk and CTCT, I remember him well. 

Hoopla.

How old was he? I saw a photo on twitter(the same tweet you replied to last night), he looked pretty old but he didn't sound it over the speakers that's for sure.

Random question ....

How many people take part in the Argus / CTCT each year?

From this, how many achieve a sub 3 hour race ?

Total distance ?

Total elevation ?

Random question ....

How many people take part in the Argus / CTCT each year?  2019 = 22642 finished

From this, how many achieve a sub 3 hour race ? sub 3 = 1090

Total distance ? 109km

Total elevation ?

How many people take part in the Argus / CTCT each year?  2019 2020= 22642 finished

From this, how many achieve a sub 3 hour race ? (2019 2020) sub 3 = 1090

Total distance ? 109km

From elsewhere: +- 1200m elevation gain

(edit: corrected date)

Edited by EddieV

Thank you

We got so used to talking of sub 3 hour rides ... yet it is a very select group that actually manage this.

Absolute respect ????????

How many people take part in the Argus / CTCT each year?  2019 = 22642 finished

From this, how many achieve a sub 3 hour race ? (2019) sub 3 = 1090

Total distance ? 109km

From elsewhere: +- 1200m elevation gain

In 2019, only 115 of 23 141 finishers went sub-three.  It was a tad breezy. Above numbers are for 2020.

In 2019, only 115 of 23 141 finishers went sub-three.  It was a tad breezy. Above numbers are for 2020.

Eish, ja, ‘n tad breeze … yes, sorry, you are right, it’s 2020, not 2019

I had hoped that 2019 would have been my best time yet, had an awesome seeding, but lost the group behind a crash up Smitswinkel and then broke my legs trying to catch up. Unfortunately, I also elected to do a 2nd loop that year (2019), …. It was an extremely long day on the road  … :nuke:  :nuke:  :D