Cape Town Cycle Tour 2021

Chingy182

I dig that it could become a road closed roll through.

Subwhatever bro....

Take a group of mates, chase down some other mates, ride some closed roads.

Nothing could be better. I will attempt to get an entry for sure

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lets be honest, though, these are cyclists we are talking about. If there is no determined seeding, everybody and their dog will arrive at 6:00 and stand in a massive bunch till the start, then there will be choruses of HOLD YOUR LINE, SLOW RIDERS KEEP LEFT all the way through Town, Bishopscourt and Fish Hoek. 

LIke the oke who had a 9:05 start this year but was in the starting area/pens at same time as us at 5:33...  :eek:  :eek:

hahaha probably

I dig that it could become a road closed roll through.

Subwhatever bro....

Take a group of mates, chase down some other mates, ride some closed roads.

Nothing could be better. I will attempt to get an entry for sure

I never did it, I don't mind starting with a group of friends and try to hammer it just between us till the end. It proably won't be as fast as with a good seeding in a fast group, but still better than nothing, I'd love to ride all these beautifull roads without having to worry about cars for once

Edited by Jbr

Lets be honest, though, these are cyclists we are talking about. If there is no determined seeding, everybody and their dog will arrive at 6:00 and stand in a massive bunch till the start, then there will be choruses of HOLD YOUR LINE, SLOW RIDERS KEEP LEFT all the way through Town, Bishopscourt and Fish Hoek. 

LIke the oke who had a 9:05 start this year but was in the starting area/pens at same time as us at 5:33...  :eek:  :eek:

Haaha, you right, I had that exact plan!

hahaha probably

I never did it, I don't mind starting with a group of friends and try to hammer it just between us till the end. It proably won't be as fast as with a good seeding in a fast group, but still better than nothing, I'd love to ride all these beautifull roads without having to worry about cars for once

Yeah, think thats the key, just riding without bloody cars

will keep a close eye on this

It will be a nice opportunity to bring out the classic steel bikes, or custom bikes  ...  no racing pressure .... just a nice leisurely ride on your polished steed?  ;) 

I have vintage Tommasini that was gifted to me some years ago which I would love to take around the peninsula ....

It would be pretty cool (although maybe a technical nightmare) to have many different starting points with timing mats, and a full circle route so you end up where you started. Spread out the field a lot with some people starting in Simonstown and Sun Valley, etc.

Probably won't work due to slower riders annoying the fast ones, but sounds like a fun day out to me.

What do we anticipate the event will look like for 2021? Here are a few of the key changes we are planning:

• Entries will be significantly reduced for March 2021 and the final entry numbers will be based on the Covid-19 situation and the health & safety regulations as determined in January 2021. Current indications are that we may only be able to accept 50% of our normal entry numbers.
  • A comprehensive set of Covid-19 protocols will be in place over the full route including the start and finish areas to minimize risks of viral transmission.
  • Cyclists will start, using a revised format, over a period of 4 hours to maximise social distancing. The sequence will follow a rolling “arrive to start and finish to leave” format.
  • There will be NO gathering on the Grand Parade or at the finish precinct in Green Point. Riders will instead be allocated a starting window and thus a rolling start will be in effect. Once finished, riders will receive their medal and proceed to leave the finish precinct and head home.
  • Water stations will no longer have cups and hydration will be dispensed directly into participants’ water bottles.
  • There will be no “goodie bag” for this edition of the event.
  • A limited and strictly controlled Registration and Expo is in planning – access to this will be limited to participants only.
  • The roads around the Cape Peninsula will remain closed on the day with all of the usual safety protocols in place. 
  • Despite the changes envisaged and subject to official permissions, the 2021 edition of the Cape Town Cycle Tour promises to be as exciting and as spectacular as any other edition and we hope to be able to welcome you on the day. 

Guess who booked his plane tickets down to Cape Town for the race yesterday ? :oops:  :oops:

Come stay in one of our apartments... We can take a slow roll in to the start together in the morning.

Come stay in one of our apartments... We can take a slow roll in to the start together in the morning.

Sounds like a great plan and slow suits me. I get tired of chasing Sue...

Edited by eddy

If i don't get an entry because of this 50% nonsense i’ll just photoshop my 2020 board and go climb the fence somewhere and ride without a timing chip anyway.????

Edited by morneS555

I have an idea it is going to be a very local ride. Not many internationals are likely to travel by March and many an upcountry regular will think a bit more carefully than in the past before pouring money into it. But for locals it should be a fantastic closed-roads-day-out-with -mates on arguably the most scenic  bike ride anywhere. I'll be there.

How’s it gents. I started riding 3 months ago with the sole purpose of riding ctct 2021. It will be my first attempt at the tour. Anyone have any advice on how I can secure a spot for the race? Do I need to be part of PPA or something similar to better my chances? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Cheers guys