Cape Town Cycle Tour 2021

Chingy182

How’s it gents. I started riding 3 months ago with the sole purpose of riding ctct 2021. It will be my first attempt at the tour. Anyone have any advice on how I can secure a spot for the race? Do I need to be part of PPA or something similar to better my chances? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Cheers guys

Welcome to the Hub.

Entry to the event - limited spots, so those that pay first gets their spot.  NOTE - no refunds if the event is cancelled.

PPA, or rather riding other accredited events, impacts your starting spot .... Fast riders first, slow riders last ....

Riding 100km is one thing ...

Riding 100km reasonably fast is a whole different thing ....

Riding in a peleton is a third thing altogether !!!!

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How’s it gents. I started riding 3 months ago with the sole purpose of riding ctct 2021. It will be my first attempt at the tour. Anyone have any advice on how I can secure a spot for the race? Do I need to be part of PPA or something similar to better my chances? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Cheers guys

Welcome to cycling and the Bikehub.

Doing the CTCT is an experience everyone should have at least once and your first one should just be pure fun. Forget about time, your main goal should just be to finish it and soak in the vibe and the scenery even if it is likely to be a somewhat different one in 2021.

As for getting an entry, it is hard to predict whether they will be over or under subscribed this time around. Entries will be limited to half the usual, but I also think there will be less interest from further afield. To be on the safe side I would enter online soon after entries open. Joining the PPA will allow you to enter before the general public, but whether that is going to make a difference this time, I really don't know. If you don't get an entry right away, don't stress, you can then pay a bit more and buy a charity entry (if they have them this year) or you can wait until people start selling their tickets when they discover they cannot make it for whatever reason, usually in the last few weeks before D-day. There will be a way and a spot for you.

Enjoy!

we're doing a charity ride will likely ride to the start, roll over the line, and then push a buggy all the way around, while stopping for coffee and having a lekker geselige tijd. Will have some imports to assist.

It's not going to be weird not chasing a time, its going to be a welcome break from that 109km of craziness

we're doing a charity ride will likely ride to the start, roll over the line, and then push a buggy all the way around, while stopping for coffee and having a lekker geselige tijd. Will have some imports to assist.

It's not going to be weird not chasing a time, its going to be a welcome break from that 109km of craziness

The first time ill be doing it on a roadie....and i cant go fast. I just wanna go fast haha.

Maybe ill rather do it on the singlespeed mtb

If I do decide to do it, definitely a fun ride. The fact that there will be no after party kinda sucks. Collect your medal and leave is a big turn off.

If I do decide to do it, definitely a fun ride. The fact that there will be no after party kinda sucks. Collect your medal and leave is a big turn off.

Just go to Forries. It will basically just be cyclists

I have an idea it is going to be a very local ride. Not many internationals are likely to travel by March and many an upcountry regular will think a bit more carefully than in the past before pouring money into it. But for locals it should be a fantastic closed-roads-day-out-with -mates on arguably the most scenic  bike ride anywhere. I'll be there.

I am going to wait until entries actually open and see the Ts and Cs but as long as it is an official event and counts to the tally then I will enter. If they tune us it's just a mass ride and it's not going to count then I won't make the trip down. They can say it's not a race but the front guys will still race.

I get that the holding pen thing was a must due to the amount of riders but it was a mission. If they still give us a seeding of sorts and people stick to it then there is no reason why it won't work. If they tell me I start at 06h00 then I will make sure I get to the line at 06h00 and off I go but if they have tjops that are meant to start at 09h00 and get there at 06h00 to try start it will just stuff it up for the others. They will still have to seed us to a degree.

This is the CTCT, they always seem to get it right. I have faith in them and what ever they come up with I am sure will work.

I get that the holding pen thing was a must due to the amount of riders but it was a mission. If they still give us a seeding of sorts and people stick to it then there is no reason why it won't work. If they tell me I start at 06h00 then I will make sure I get to the line at 06h00 and off I go but if they have tjops that are meant to start at 09h00 and get there at 06h00 to try start it will just stuff it up for the others. They will still have to seed us to a degree.

This is the CTCT, they always seem to get it right. I have faith in them and what ever they come up with I am sure will work.

not everyone is as disciplined, for sure some people will start early  to try and get a boost from the faster guys.... at least until they get drop at the first climb

not everyone is as disciplined, for sure some people will start early  to try and get a boost from the faster guys.... at least until they get drop at the first climb

A few years ago I was super fit and upped my PPA seeding considerably. Then came a couple of months of little training due to work and travel commitments. Next race, in Stellies, I started with the B people (bloody far out front for me) and thought I was going to have the day and the time of my life. Well, that lasted halfway up Helshoogte and from there I just died repeatedly trying to hang on to the Cs, Ds, Es, Fs and then on my own in the heat and the wind in a zombie state. Never again in my life. 

You can call it CTCT, but it will always be the Argus.
You can call it a fun day out with rolling starts, but it will always be a race.

Here's to hoping they do controlled spaced out starts for racing bunches and at least 1A - 1H before switching to rolling starts. If not then prepare for insanely massive bunches out on the route with okes pulling dangerous stunts to move up...

You can call it CTCT, but it will always be the Argus.............

I also used to call it the Argus, years after the name changed to CTCT..............and then Iqbal Surve and his bunch of scaly characters bought once proud Independent Media and once I read the utter piss poor, polarizing, lying, propaganda **** they started writing, I vowed NEVER to call it the Argus again.........it was that easy. Go buy yourself an Argus and read it...........you'll be cured forever and you'll have something useful to put in the bottom of the birds cage to catch the birds ****. No fail!

I also used to call it the Argus, years after the name changed to CTCT..............and then Iqbal Surve and his bunch of scaly characters bought once proud Independent Media and once I read the utter piss poor, polarizing, lying, propaganda **** they started writing, I vowed NEVER to call it the Argus again.........it was that easy. Go buy yourself an Argus and read it...........you'll be cured forever and you'll have something useful to put in the bottom of the birds cage to catch the birds ****. No fail!

Excellent insult ????

Edited by Walt Jabsco