Cape Town Cycle Tour 2021

Chingy182

I've done some of the interesting ones.

the hot one '02

the windy '09? one

the mini 50km fire one 15'

the cancelled one 17(i still rode it, it's on strava)

i'm in for whatever they put on, and won't judge any of the tough decisions they need to make. Ballhairs gets a free pass this year

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the hot one '02 Yeah that one was hot I hear but so was 2000. I think that was the year we had raging fires across the peninsula

the windy '09? one I still think '92 was windier but 2009 was the first time the BRT station was in place. The windtunnel effect was clearly not accounted for

the mini 50km fire one 15' Aibo that  was was special

the cancelled one 17(i still rode it, it's on strava) I didn't, we got turned away and went to post race hospitality that became pre race hospitality

i'm in for whatever they put on, and won't judge any of the tough decisions they need to make. Ballhairs gets a free pass this year

Bellairs has done well. The PPA, Cycletour trust and he got DC going when everyone said it wouldn't happen

the hot one '02

the windy '09? one

the mini 50km fire one 15'

the cancelled one 17(i still rode it, it's on strava)

What about the detours over ou kaapse? Can't remember how many times we did it or what years. Tim Brink would be able to tell us off the top of his head.

The time we went over boyes drive. Okes that just just made sub 3s or were looking good to get one were stressing they would miss it by a few seconds due to the extra climb.

In the beginning when we finished "sooner" at 105km.

I have done a few, but not enough!!!!!

What about the detours over ou kaapse? Can't remember how many times we did it or what years. Tim Brink would be able to tell us off the top of his head.

The time we went over boyes drive. Okes that just just made sub 3s or were looking good to get one were stressing they would miss it by a few seconds due to the extra climb.

In the beginning when we finished "sooner" at 105km.

I have done a few, but not enough!!!!!

2000, 2001 and 2002 and I think 2003. In 2004 we went over Chappies again  (although I didn't ride in 2002) was the detour years. This was a result of the fires of early 2000 that devastated the Chapmans Peak Drive and required the pass to be rebuilt with the overhangs  and catch netting in place.

The Boyes drive route started in 2009, though 2013 if I recall (skipped a few years from 2012 and 2013). That was to allow the main road from Muizenberg to Fish Hoek to be rebuilt.

the last 104Km ride was 1987. Thereafter it was 105km when the finish was moved from opposite the sports field in Cramps Bay main rd (where the post race hospitality used to be(?)) to Maidens Cove at the top of the hill. That was a brutal finish but made the time keepers job easier.

Edited by DieselnDust

2000, 2001 and 2002 and I think 2003. In 2004 we went over Chappies again  (although I didn't ride in 2002) was the detour years. This was a result of the fires of early 2000 that devastated the Chapmans Peak Drive and required the pass to be rebuilt with the overhangs  and catch netting in place.

The Boyes drive route started in 2009, though 2013 if I recall (skipped a few years from 2012 and 2013). That was to allow the main road from Muizenberg to Fish Hoek to be rebuilt.

the last 104Km ride was 1987. Thereafter it was 105km when the finish was moved from opposite the sports field in Cramps Bay main rd (where the post race hospitality used to be(?)) to Maidens Cove at the top of the hill. That was a brutal finish but made the time keepers job easier.

Flip I thought we did it like twice, LOL.

I remember the old finish we would have to walk the last 100 odd metres before crossing the actual line and somehow the times were always pretty accurate as to when you stopped. Sometimes you crossed the line 30 min after you had stopped riding.

Flip I thought we did it like twice, LOL.

I remember the old finish we would have to walk the last 100 odd metres before crossing the actual line and somehow the times were always pretty accurate as to when you stopped. Sometimes you crossed the line 30 min after you had stopped riding.

ya those were the days of Swiss stop watches and eager UCT data capturing students. If you tried that in 2020 they'd have 350 millionty selfies with captions like "Cyclists.........boooriiiiiiiing! but getting paid .....sic"

Edited by DieselnDust

ya those were the days of Swiss stop watches and eager UCT data capturing students. If you tried that in 2020 they'd have 350 millionty selfies with captions like "Cyclists.........boooriiiiiiiing! but getting paid .....sic"

:D  :D  :D

• 3 weeks later...

The rise in positive cases probably doesn't bode well for the CTCT. Apparently Ramaphosa will address us this week but a lot can happen before March. Fingers crossed, I am ready to pull the trigger on entry, accommodation and possibly flights as I am now thinking about driving down.

The rise in positive cases probably doesn't bode well for the CTCT. Apparently Ramaphosa will address us this week but a lot can happen before March. Fingers crossed, I am ready to pull the trigger on entry, accommodation and possibly flights as I am now thinking about driving down.

I am generally a (nauseatingly) positive person but I have this inkling that one will not be riding the world Best Ride this coming year  :mellow: . Obviously I hope that I'm wrong!

Best for the new year to all Hubbers.  

post-64505-0-53650400-1609398845_thumb.png

More positive cases per 100 tests than ever before, some 33% today alone.  Don't forget that the majority of tests done in RSA have a false negative rate of almost 40%.  Last day of 2020 coming in for a beating.

Close the roads, batch of one, ME!

attachicon.gifFigure_3.png

More positive cases per 100 tests than ever before, some 33% today alone.  Don't forget that the majority of tests done in RSA have a false negative rate of almost 40%.  Last day of 2020 coming in for a beating.

arrogance coming back to bite.

the number of people we know who have contracted COVID after attending parties, church, and other mass gatherings is astonishing. Cancelled holiday plans and staying home to ride my bike. 

Cancelled leave as its probably safer to have time to work and get a better start to 2021 whle keeping my youngeest entertained.

Cycletour.... well we'll see how it plays out. I'll it if it happens but I' hoping its just a solidarity ride and not a timed event

............Cycletour.... well we'll see how it plays out. I'll it if it happens but I' hoping its just a solidarity ride and not a timed event

I'm with you on this one.

I hope that the current spike of infections will taper quickly..........and logic says that it should........but if I look forward, March is very close and the CTCT in its normal form probably in serious danger. I also hope for a day of closed roads and a friendly ride around the peninsula, but even that I think is by no means a certainty. I think the organizers were pretty smart to hold off opening entries.  

One big problem with the CTCT is that on a good year they send at least 100 people to the emergency rooms on the day (falls & heart attacks etc). Nevermind that they hog the majority of the province's ambulances & medics for the day (one of the big reasons they are struggling to get their additional Saturday ride idea of the ground).

If the province's medical capacity is still under strain early March there is no way this event is happening. My gut feel is that it's going to be cancelled, I definitely won't enter now if I'm in another province.

One big problem with the CTCT is that on a good year they send at least 100 people to the emergency rooms on the day (falls & heart attacks etc). Nevermind that they hog the majority of the province's ambulances & medics for the day (one of the big reasons they are struggling to get their additional Saturday ride idea of the ground).

If the province's medical capacity is still under strain early March there is no way this event is happening. My gut feel is that it's going to be cancelled, I definitely won't enter now if I'm in another province.

Agreed, I can't see it happening and I too can't understand they push to make it happen.

Agreed, I can't see it happening and I too can't understand they push to make it happen.

bog opportunity to promote cycling as a viable transport option..

wait, no that will never work