Cape Town Cycle Tour 2021

Chingy182

They have selected a couple of segments that are a pretty good test of ones ability and able to seed people pretty accurately. Its pretty hard to bluff Suikerbosie South side etc.

Most Strava events I've seen so far where like "Do 50km where ever you want as fast as possible" so you pretty much just get a friend with a scooter or a car to tow you and hit 50kph average and win lol ;)

Easier than that just pick the right day according to the wind forecast and smash it. Suikerbossie from camps bay to hout bay (North then ?) is sometimes subject to some good tail wind that can help. Also there are a couple flatish sections where you can draft. The other way around a lot less 

Do you have a link to these Strava events ?

EDIT : damn I really can't read in the morning hey... you did say Suikerbossie south side and not north  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:

Edited by Jbr

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They have selected a couple of segments that are a pretty good test of ones ability and able to seed people pretty accurately. Its pretty hard to bluff Suikerbosie South side etc.

If you really think it is hard to bluff any strava segment (other than maybe a downhill mtb trail) I really admire your innocence & naivety  ^_^  

went from seeding index of 18 now to 31 due to lack of racing in 2019 and nothing in 2020...

so for me I hope I can get in a few races before the bigger events like CTCT.

Also in the best shape in my 5 years of riding thanks to lockdown so looking forward to testing the legs.

Now we can only hope that things change for the better in SA

Most Strava events I've seen so far where like "Do 50km where ever you want as fast as possible" so you pretty much just get a friend with a scooter or a car to tow you and hit 50kph average and win lol ;)

Easier than that just pick the right day according to the wind forecast and smash it. Suikerbossie from camps bay to hout bay (North then ?) is sometimes subject to some good tail wind that can help. Also there are a couple flatish sections where you can draft. The other way around a lot less 

EDIT : damn I really can't read in the morning hey... you did say Suikerbossie south side and not north  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:

I will try find the link, it may have been on Strava with a few people testing it. Think there are 4 climbs you need to do in a 4 hour period, so negates the effect of the wind, like chappies and suikerbosie South are different directions and black hill, I think I also saw the Glen. 

I will try find the link, it may have been on Strava with a few people testing it. Think there are 4 climbs you need to do in a 4 hour period, so negates the effect of the wind, like chappies and suikerbosie South are different directions and black hill, I think I also saw the Glen. 

Sounds like fun, I did some research and didn't find anything. Let me know if it comes back to you ;)

Sucks to be a heavier rider then if seeding favours climbers. I'm not the best climber but I'm light-ish so won't complain ;)

And while CTCT entries are still nowhere to be seen, Karoo to Coast is open for 2021 entries. This would've been "race weekend"...

Alas, all is not lost for me at least...I'm heading out that way today anyhow for some R&R. I am thinking of hitting up GRTP and maybe Harkerville or perhaps Montague Pass.

That Suikerbossie South Side leaderboard is regulated more than the South African banking industry.

digitalepo.com

What's wrong with a couple of hours of motorpacing?

I vaguely recall the Strava segment seeding was very quietly cancelled about a week or 2 after it was first launched. Think there may have been some rights for use issues as well as how to make sure people didn't cheat etc.