Coronavirus lockdown and exercising outdoors

Shame Duane, did someone take your entjies or something, im gonna ride WHEREVER I want just because I can. Why are you being THAT guy? if you want to report me, you will have to catch me first...

I am waiting for the first cyclist to be arrested outside a 5km radius from his home...its going be epic.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am waiting for the first cyclist to be arrested outside a 5km radius from his home...its going be epic.

And they are going to mess it up for everyone [emoji849]

Just spoke to my old man, who is angry that the 5km radius will prevent him from doing his "regular Tygerberg" loop... when I asked him when he last did that loop, his answer.... 2015.

I think many people are just frustrated. 

I can fit the entirety of my "regular meet at the circle by the Craighall vet " loop in, except for the last turn through the boom to the Northcliff tower. Happy to miss that bit out and it gives me a 35km loop without backtracking or breaking the law. 

Now all I need to do is redefine "regular" away from meaning once a month and back to 4 times a week.

I'm just waiting for all the outrage outrage when 300 cyclists are arrested on table mountain going for #morningshreddies..

Selfies of the #fitfam on top of Lions Head etc.... 

Then an announcement that exercise is revoked because people can't follow simple guidelines....

I pray you are wrong ... Let's HOPE tomorrow does not look like this ....

post-110956-0-24269400-1588243947_thumb.jpg

At the risk of this being thought completely dumb - I going to say it anyway.

(Tomorrow doesn't count because its a holiday, but) from Monday - Road cyclists, runners, dog-walkers, pram-pushers, families, people driving to work (lots of whom can't enjoy this window and therefore gatvol drivers), and taxis (being taxis) are all 'forced' on to the same stretch of road in the same window. 

Please, our caution will need to be exercised too.

Get with the process boet.

Epic was cancelled long ago.....

The route I planned is going to be just less than 6km from my house.  Luckily it is almost in die middle of nowhere-ish.

5. (1) A person must wear a cloth face mask or a homemade item that covers the nose and mouth when in a public place, or another appropriate item to cover the nose and mouth

(2) No person will be allowed to use any form of public transport, or enter a building, place or premises, if they do not wear a cloth face mask or a homemade item that covers the nose and mouth when in a public place, or another appropriate item to cover the nose and mouth.

What exactly is unclear about this? 

It's the word "place". A road, pavement or path is not a place. It is a way of course between two places. A place is where people congregate.   

What is the intention of the legislation?  

As I asked earlier, does a person walking by themself to the taxi rank, whilst practicing social distancing, now have to cover their nose and mouth whilst walking? Obviously the taxi rank is a place and where people congregate, so there's no doubt there. The litmus test will be if people are arrested/reprimanded for walking from their house to a public place without covering their nose and mouth. 

Please folks, I fully get the common sense arguments. As a 54 year old Type 1 diabetic I am extremely cautious and even fearful of the risk we're all exposed to.     

My problem is that yet again we could have unclear and poor drafting of key legislation, and people will interpret it to mean what they'd like it to mean. And more people are likely to be found guilty in the court of social media than in a court of law. Or by a power drunk law enforcement official.  

There will be many runners and cyclist out there from Friday 01 May without covering their noses and mouths. Others will scold them on social media or out on the road. Point is, they might not be in the wrong. 

Enough said. Gotta go pump my tyres and lube my chain for tomorrow's epic ride.

Be safe.

Edited by flymango

OH YEA.... :ph34r:  :clap:

A buff is fine, it's just so you keep your plague to yourself.

Even an N95 mask won't stop it from getting in if it's out there.

Fun fact:  From my house, with a radius of 966km, I can ride anywhere in SA.

I wanted to ask if you live in Orania?  I see I was close  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:

Edited by Underachiever

It's the word "place". A road, pavement or path is not a place. It is a way of course between two places. A place is where people congregate.   

What is the intention of the legislation?  

As I asked earlier, does a person walking by themself to the taxi rank, whilst practicing social distancing, now have to cover their nose and mouth whilst walking? Obviously the taxi rank is a place and where people congregate, so there's no doubt there. The litmus test will be if people are arrested/reprimanded for walking from their house to a public place without covering their nose and mouth. 

Please folks, I fully get the common sense arguments. As a 54 year old Type 1 diabetic I am extremely cautious and even fearful of the risk we're all exposed to.     

My problem is that yet again we could have unclear and poor drafting of key legislation, and people will interpret it to mean what they'd like it to mean. And more people are likely to be found guilty in the court of social media than in a court of law. Or by a power drunk law enforcement official.  

There will be many runners and cyclist out there from Friday 01 May without covering their noses and mouths. Others will scold them on social media or out on the road. Point is, they might not be in the wrong. 

Enough said. Gotta go pump my tyres and lube my chain for tomorrow's epic ride.

Be safe.

Letter vs spirit. I take it you're a lawyer, so you should understand this.

The regulations are poorly drafted and even more ill-considered, but being obtuse about it isn't going to help you when PC Plod decides to lob you into a cop van, from which you'll emerge with a record and possibly a slow puncture.

Ummm. no.

place

noun

To save this word, you'll need to log in.

\ ˈplās  \
Definition of place

(Entry 1 of 2)

1aphysical environment SPACE
ba way for admission or transit
cphysical surroundings ATMOSPHERE
2aan indefinite region or expanse all over the place
ba building or locality used for a special purpose place of learninga fine eating place
carchaic the three-dimensional compass of a material object
3aa particular region, center of population, or location a nice place to visit
ba building, part of a building, or area occupied as a home our summer place
4a particular part of a surface or body SPOT
5relative position in a scale or series: such as
aposition in a social scale kept them in their place
ba step in a sequence in the first place, it's none of your business
ca position at the conclusion of a competition finished in last place
6aa proper or designated niche or setting the place of education in society
ban appropriate moment or point this is not the place to discuss compensation— Robert Moses
ca distinct condition, position, or state of mind the postfeminist generation is in a different place— Betty Friedan
7aan available seat or accommodation needs a place to stay
ban empty or vacated position new ones will take their place
8the position of a figure in relation to others of a row or seriesespecially the position of a digit within a numeral
9aremunerative employment JOB
bprestige accorded to one of high rank STATUSan endless quest for preferment and place— Time
10a public square PLAZA
11a small street or court
12second place at the finish (as of a horse race)
in place
1or less commonly into place
ain an original or proper position
bestablished, instituted, or operational systems in place
2in the same spot without forward or backward movement run in place
in place of
as a substitute or replacement for INSTEAD OF
out of place
1not in the proper or usual location