Coronavirus lockdown and exercising outdoors

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In normal times I wouldn't notice or mind, but when you are in a public place, supposed to wear a mask and not touch your face, it blows my mind that some people casually grab a bag of chips, and put stuff in their mouth with their hands that have touched a dozen other items in the shop before...

Yesterday I went to Pick and pay and was surprised to see everyone was wearing their masks, except for the 1 stupid bitch that was smashing a bag of doritos while shoping and talking to her mom (who was wearing her mask below the nose)...

There's always that one person who doesn't give a f*** and eats chips while shopping while everyone is washing their hands everytime they touch one item hahaha, I can't help but playing that Ghaneean funeral video in my head when I see that.

Other than these two, people were very disciplined, that's why I don't really get why "fit people" can't do the right thing....

Which P'nP was this? Bayside, Big Bay, West Coast Village  or Table Bay?

In normal times I wouldn't notice or mind, but when you are in a public place, supposed to wear a mask and not touch your face, it blows my mind that some people casually grab a bag of chips, and put stuff in their mouth with their hands that have touched a dozen other items in the shop before...

I've said this before, but it still stands. People who do this are the same morons who think they can have sex without a condom because only other people get aids.

West coast village, that was by the way closed for a few days after some of the staff was quarantined. 

Therein lies the secret to the store complying with masks and distancing. It takes an infection scare to get people to wake up.

You shouldn't let them in the front door, how is that not standard practice by now?

Beyond my control. Hence why I remove myself. I refuse to work in such conditions. Rest of the staff are too scared to say anything. 2 weeks ago I went for testing as I was very sick. I also took 2 weeks off. It is what it is at the end of the day. People want to earn a living. Hopefully rules and regulations are adhered to in its fullest form. 

Oh, and we have a habit of sending people off the floor as well if it gets too full. 

I know someone who's mom passed away from Covid. She was young (not much older than me) and in good health. This virus is no respecter of persons and will kill without bias. People who seem to think that this virus is not as bad as the media makes it out to be better wake up. It's worse. Wear your mask. If not for others, do it for yourself, and for your family. 

I have come to realise one needs to take a moment and really LOOK at the people around you (family, friends, work colleagues, cycle mates...), because this time next year, not all of them might still be with us, or worse still, you might not be around any longer.

They are everywhere. Where I work, there is no protocol on checking clients. So when someone comes in and doesnt have a mask, I leave and sit in the tea room. Likewise when there are too many people.

We are at the other extreme. Offices are only open by appointment. Hand sanitizers, temperature monitors and two COVID 19 declarations to be completed before you get granted access. Masks and gloves available if you don't have. All office staff are working from home.

I am WFH for nearly 8 weeks now and because I am over 60 will be here for a longer time than others in my section. My company has mostly been working 100% from day 1 so no concerns re remuneration.

I have a good routine going and my work space and equipment is as comfortable as I can get it.

My dog (s) are enjoying being able to spend all day next to me. 

We are at the other extreme. Offices are only open by appointment. Hand sanitizers, temperature monitors and two COVID 19 declarations to be completed before you get granted access. Masks and gloves available if you don't have. All office staff are working from home.

I am WFH for nearly 8 weeks now and because I am over 60 will be here for a longer time than others in my section. My company has mostly been working 100% from day 1 so no concerns re remuneration.

I have a good routine going and my work space and equipment is as comfortable as I can get it.

My dog (s) are enjoying being able to spend all day next to me. 

Our office was able to go back to work on 1 May.  Couple of us went in, in different shifts, to fit paper towel dispencers and similar basic steps to get the office safe.

And yet we made the call for the complete staff compliment to keep on working from home.  Only going into the office for large prints and similar functions that we can not do at home.

We have files full of essential services certificates to inspect client sites.  And yet, even these clients require individual inspections on days prior to the virtual meetings.

Frankly, our new normal is more effective in many instances.

Already thinking about my home-office options post lock-down ....

My daily rides have come to an end (for now).

We were told we must work full day as from today, so no more morning rides for me.

But, in order to save some money on perks tax I'll be handing the company car back month end, I have ordered a set of lights from Bike-Addict and will be cycling in as often as possible.

I'm just concerned about teh cycle home, leaving the office at 17:30 it will be pretty dark by the time I reach home.

We were told we must work full day as from today, so no more morning rides for me.

But, in order to save some money on perks tax I'll be handing the company car back month end, I have ordered a set of lights from Bike-Addict and will be cycling in as often as possible.

I'm just concerned about teh cycle home, leaving the office at 17:30 it will be pretty dark by the time I reach home.

You should be fine. Just wear your mask and have your laminated permit ready.

Jokes aside, people are pretty blind. So as long as you pretend they can't see you, you shouldn't get into too much trouble. Had to ride home once when my car broke down 15km out at 20H00. 

Ironically it is almost safer to ride in the dark .... your flashing lights are so much more visible then.

You just need a proper light to light up the potholes in front of you ....

daylight rides with normal morning and afternoon traffic requires a special level of attention.  No need to assume every second driver is on their cell-phone, oblivious to what is happening on the road around them, you can safely take this as fact !!  Ride to survive and the rides can actually be nice.

Ironically it is almost safer to ride in the dark .... your flashing lights are so much more visible then.

daylight rides with normal morning and afternoon traffic requires a special level of attention.  No need to assume every second driver is on their cell-phone, oblivious to what is happening on the road around them, you can safely take this as fact !!  Ride to survive and the rides can actually be nice.

I ordered this. Now just need to wait for it to arrive. 

It was about double what I wanted to spend, but was advised by a guy at work who commutes to skip my other choices that had lower lumens ratings and spend the extra for a more power.

I needed front and rear, but I've got a LED light that straps to your head that also has a red flash mode, so I'm going to rig it up somehow to also point backwards.

1-LED-32P-V104_ConnectSmartPair_v1_R1_sq

I used to commute from 6am to 8am and 5pm to 7pm in JHB.

In winter half my commute was in the dark. I felt more visible then because of my lights and reflective clothing.

Motorists are not sure what you are so they give a wider passing distance and are more inclined to yield at intersections.

And I felt like a kid playing truant instead of being inside doing homework.

I used to commute from 6am to 8am and 5pm to 7pm in JHB.

In winter half my commute was in the dark. I felt more visible then because of my lights and reflective clothing.

Motorists are not sure what you are so they give a wider passing distance and are more inclined to yield at intersections.

And I felt like a kid playing truant instead of being inside doing homework.

I liked your post because it gives me slightly more confidence to do the commute.

I must admit, I was on the road last night (in the car) between 17:30 and 18:30 and was getting a little apprehensive about the darkness.

But what you and ChrisF say about being more visible makes sense.