Coronavirus lockdown and exercising outdoors

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hahaha nothing to do with "cape town time"....though as an ex GP'er I now know both sides of the preconceived perceptions - most of which are untrue. 

NOW vs NOW-NOW:

It's because of how it is used in the Afrikaans language and has been appropriated by the other local languages - probably less successful in this case. 

"Nou" (now) means what you think....as in imminently. 

"Nou-nou" (now now) generally denotes a slight delay before starting....as in soon - totally irrational right? But hey, other languages have male and female pots and kettles and toilet paper lol....

if I had to put a timeframe on "now-now"...i'd say it could probably be something ambiguous like "before midday",  "before lunch" or "before the end of the day" - depending on when you use it. It doesn't really imply punctuality. It normally never gets used in a way that implies "tomorrow" though.

imo very few Afrikaans people even use it in its english appropriated form when switching to over to english,  It's clumsiness as a phrase becomes more evident there so we just "talk brits"...

Awesome I'll share it to my wife, we finally know why ;)

This morning was actually not as bad as the forecast said ! Went out on my MTB to at least be comfortable in that not-so-cold wind ! Glad I didn't settle for a Zwift session !

what idiot wears the buff on his head and over his face? Clever folks wear it like a scar pulled up over the mouth and nose.

Kleverer folk on the highveld wear two...one under the helmet and down the back of the neck..the other around the neck...tuck into shirt..zip up

Toasty! 

(then later sweaty but it beats being cold!)

Edited by Mojoman

Kleverer folk on the highveld wear two...one under the helmet and down the back of the neck..the other around the neck...tuck into shirt..zip up

Toasty! 

Some of us even still shove newspaper down the front of our jerseys. When it gets sweaty or you warm up, it's easy to dispose of at a garage dustbin and you can continue your ride.

Cape town is the MOTHER city .... since everything takes at least nine months ....

"now" and "now now" are both just indicators of something that may happen in the very distant future ...

have you tried living in Ireland ? kind of the same approach...

Toasty! 

Yeah that's what I do when its bitterly cold here in Cape Town. Also have a Seal Skinz Skull Cap

Or a Casquette under the helmet and buff over the mouth to take the edge off the cold air (not good for asthma) Nose stays open

Man it was chilly in JHB this morning.  -2 degC on my Polar. 

Wore 2 x jackets and 2 x buffs. to keep warm.

In my neck of the woods we recorded -4'C and we avoided the notoriously cold section on the way to the Modderfontein Nature Reserve. And we have not even hit mid winter.

Dressed appropriately and only finger tips got cold. Next time I will wear surgical gloves under winter gloves. 

Some of us even still shove newspaper down the front of our jerseys. When it gets sweaty or you warm up, it's easy to dispose of at a garage dustbin and you can continue your ride.

Or just throw it in a river, like Vettes says.

Or just throw it in a river, like Vettes says.

Yeah, I'm an arse, but not that much of one.

Government Gazzette shows exercising between 06:00 - 18:00 only.

I'll post the file shorty.

What a weird rule/law? How many people actually train outside in the evenings and very early mornings? It must be a small minority anyway?

Edited by Skubarra