Coronavirus lockdown and exercising outdoors

Has anyone figured out any way for someone to legally visit you without moving in with you?

Not for nothing, but why would you want to even if it was legally allowed. The fact that this coronachan kills is a real fact. Even if it doesn't do you or your visitor in, what about infecting your parents, or their parents, or any number of other people in the high risk of severe illness categories?

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone figured out any way for someone to legally visit you without moving in with you?

I stay alone in a small flat, and have to work from home for the foreseeable future, so having someone move in would be super complicated. So basically the only time I see another people at the moment is when I go to the shops. Feels like I'm in solitary confinement [emoji107]

So are there any legal ways at the moment to see people at home?

I've considered started a mask making business in my lounge and employing 1 or 2 people to "make masks" and paying them in coffee, but that doesn't feel completely legit. I also considered looking for a way to volunteer from home that would necessitate having another person at my house, but haven't found anything like that yet. Any other ideas?

Nope sorry you may not receive visitors..

Sorry, that's a tough one being on your own during lockdown .

Just as well its not up to you and lets hope the "right" decisions ARE made.This whole debacle has run its course and we need to get back to business

Come on, now, Kransie. No need for that. You know I'm open to changing my mind with additional data.

If the decision is based on what I see, now, I don't think I would open up to L3 next week, I'd do it for the following week, but add that there would be far higher police presence.

Thinking about it, a roll-back to level 4 from level 3 would be incredibly damaging to the economy, something maybe even more damaging than the actual initial lockdown itself. Costs allocated to re-opening would be down the toilet, completely. A false start, effectively.

So, if it were up to me, with the info I have to hand, that's what I would do with the LD. One more week from next Monday, L3, increased police presence to monitor adherence, but say that the implementation of L3 is based on how well we adhere to L4 until then. 

Bear in mind I DON'T have all the info at hand, so it is at best a guess on the way I see things as they are and it's likely to change WITH all the information. 

The same 3 words come to mind: Need. More. Data.

I stay alone in a small flat, and have to work from home for the foreseeable future, so having someone move in would be super complicated. So basically the only time I see another people at the moment is when I go to the shops. Feels like I'm in solitary confinement  :thumbdown: 

So are there any legal ways at the moment to see people at home? 

I've considered started a mask making business in my lounge and employing 1 or 2 people to "make masks" and paying them in coffee, but that doesn't feel completely legit. I also considered looking for a way to volunteer from home that would necessitate having another person at my house, but haven't found anything like that yet. Any other ideas?

Dude, same boat but I get to see my lightie every other weekend, so there's that. 5th floor of an apartment block, no balcony. 

A few special wankers out in Fourways area this am - passed 2 pretty large bunches - it's tjops like these that will get this exercise time taken away.

Perhaps if we all make a point of hurling abuse at them they will get the message or do you think the sense of entitlement runs so deep it wont make a difference?

How have your efforts to get them to not ride 5 abreast through red lights gone so far?

I'd guess this would yield a similar result.

I've surfed Vic about a million times and been dissapointed every time. The worlds only Right Hand Point but a left. Such an overrated fat blob of a wave.

Unless it is on, then it is very on. Yes not often, but still. Also enjoyed Mossel Bay point and Die Bakke when things get huge.

Also used to wait in anticipation for crayfish factory in Cape Town to get over 10 foot.

hahaha, I am sure Leonard "Muscles" Giles would laugh lekker at his legend which precedes him. He has an intimidating persona only if you don't know him, but in reality he is a lekker chilled bloke. I was mates with his nephew Stuart, and we always hanged out at their family beach house (bide a wee) in Herold's Bay in the summer months when we were not at work.

If you think Len has a massive backhand wave destroyer, you should see him at H-Bay's left wedge. That man is in a class of his own, that's for sure. The only guy who had a backhand nearly as fierce is Robert Pollock. He has quads the size of motorcycle petrol tanks, and he also surfs backhand. Those two men moer a face properly when they paddle out, and therein their legend. 

Vic Bay had an intimidating line-up back in the day, and it took me years to make it to the boil and not get challenged by the likes of Leonard, Rob Pollock, Rod Hossack, Rob Wiese, Tortie Cloete, Sean Holmes and John and David Pfaff. Those days you got klapped just for being in the water. I took some hidings, handed one or two out, and slowly made my way up the pecking order to the point I could paddle out in the channel infront of Land's End and straight in to the first wave if none of the above were in immediate presence.

One of the most notorious things Stuart Giles and myself did was to start the V.B.L., a wannabe enforcement clan similar to J-Bay's JBU, who were gatvol of all the crowds. It got us 5 minutes of notoriety in the ZigZag once as well. Laaities will do stupid stuff...I still have the sticker on my board. I got some proper skeef looks from out of towners for about 2 years prior to my departure from George whenever I strolled up the point with that board underarm.

As for the wave, ja, sometimes Vic does have a fat, bloated wave. All thanks to Don Tarloff, who used to own the takeaway joint up the beach. One year there was a fat storm that drained all the sand from the bay just before December, and Don decided to cart in truck loads of sand to replace the beach which was all of a sudden missing. This just stuffed up the wave, because 3 months later, the sand returned and messed up the wave forever. Up to that stage, Vic Bay could handle a proper 10-12 foot swell no problem, and by the time I left, an 8-footer would close out the Bay.

Still, one of my fondest memories was one evening, I was sitting up at the top of the point, and Len had priority. A set approached, I asked him if he was going, and he looked at me and said "nah, you go". I turned, paddled two strokes and took off. I made the bottom turn before the point rock, and saw the wave bending and starting to throw the lip. I had a stand-up barrel from the paddle channel in front of Land's End to Greendoors, about halfway down the point. Time froze. People were screaming. I was in heaven. As I got spat out, one of the locals came paddling up and saying he just saw this blue blur behind the curtain all the way down the point  about 4 -5 foot behind the mouth of the gaping barrel. I can still hear the sound of that lip crashing down beside me. Vicbay on a outgoing morning glass with a slight off-shore at about 6 foot will change anyone's mind about it being a mushy wave.

Those were the days.

I have some fond memories of Vic bay and some scary ones. Nahoon Reef is still one of my favourites

I personally hope so, but I don't think it would be the "right" decision at this point. I would personally have argued for another week of L4, with the proviso that it would be extended if people don't adhere to the guidelines. I could very well be wrong, though. 

Risk / reward. You show us that you who can adhere, do adhere, and we will scale it back. 

From what I can see I would say 70+% of the populace is not adhering to L$ so rather drop it and save face. Also it is apparently a breeze to get a permit now so what is the point?

From what I can see I would say 70+% of the populace is not adhering to L$ so rather drop it and save face. Also it is apparently a breeze to get a permit now so what is the point?

Answered in a later post... 

It's always been a simple matter to get a permit, just fill in a form and print it out.

The fun part comes if CIPC decide you've misrepresented anything when (if?) they audit them.

100%. I had a look at the certificate-permit system recently.

The CIPC issues the certificate claiming you have applied and filled-in info but if required you must provide proof of the appropriate designation of your service, as you say in an audit.

And as for the permit, then it's a 'self-issue' by the company to its employees stating that they are 'performing services in the institution'.

A veritable bus could be driven through the system...particularly the permit system. I know of people who have a permit from a company yet they are not employees of the company; worse still, they are clients of the company. Some people just have to feel important...

It's always been a simple matter to get a permit, just fill in a form and print it out.

The fun part comes if CIPC decide you've misrepresented anything when (if?) they audit them.

Unless it is on, then it is very on. Yes not often, but still. Also enjoyed Mossel Bay point and Die Bakke when things get huge.

Also used to wait in anticipation for crayfish factory in Cape Town to get over 10 foot.

I'm going to say something more controversial than Carona is a hoax now.

The best wave in South Africa is not Supers. It's on the KZN South Coast.

What a LOVELY morning for a ride !!

Had to go pick up something at the office .... so decided to incorporate it into the morning ride .....  :clap:

I live 4,5km from the office .... seems I may have gotten lost in the dark of the morning ...  :whistling:   :devil:

post-110956-0-61965600-1588918094_thumb.jpg

post-110956-0-50976000-1588918112_thumb.jpg

30km later I am back home. 

Wanted to add another 10 odd kilometers .... but the morning traffic got busy, and scary ....  :wacko:  Still much prefer the 6:00 slot ...

couple of families out on the roads as well,  snapped a pic of this father and son.

post-110956-0-90265000-1588918149_thumb.jpg

Inother breaking news Level 3 here we come

Surreal the Pressie addressing the nation tonight at 20h30 for 22h00

Everybody remember that at the start of the Lockdown there were various murmerings about a 7 week lockdown?

Well I think most of us can agree that Stage 4 is still a very hard lockdown, very similar to stage 5. So let's say we are still in the same lockdown.

Well, the end of a 7 week Lockdown will be next week Thursday at 23h59.

We started off with 3 weeks, which was quickly extended to 5. Then they gave us a bit of "feel good" adjustments for an additional 2 weeks which brings us to 7.

Stage 3 in my mind does release some significant restrictions that does bring about more normality to our lives.

So I expect another session with the President somewhere between upcoming Sunday and Tuesday evening, giving us the go-ahead to Stage 3 from the 15th onwards. With the caveat that districts/metros will be have to stepped up a level once serious outbreaks take place.

Well I hope this is the case, as I am sure most of you are.