Coronavirus lockdown and exercising outdoors

Im hoping to find a new cheap bike and parts once the novelty of getting off your ass and exercising wears off for a lot of people....

Edited by Mojoman

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Im hoping to find a new cheap bike and parts once the novelty of getting off your ass and exercising wears off for a lot of people....

Must be honest we've only sold two 2nd hand bikes, an XS 27.5 ladies and a kiddies 16" bike during this time. No new bikes, perhaps other shops have though ... lots of maintenance work being done

Must be honest we've only sold two 2nd hand bikes, an XS 27.5 ladies and a kiddies 16" bike during this time. No new bikes, perhaps other shops have though ... lots of maintenance work being done

The bike shop I was at last week reckoned they have shifted quite a few bikes.(then again what business doesn't tell porkies about their sales??!!)..I also see a handful of people around the village cycling (who I haven't seen in 26 years of knocking around here...!) so holding thumbs! :devil: 

My son owns Just Cycles, they moved from Meyersdal Mall (Alberton) to Rietvlei Zoo Farm just before the lockdown... I help out there occasionally.

nice. I’ll send my dad there to support you guys, he used to buy from the shop that was previously there.

nice. I’ll send my dad there to support you guys, he used to buy from the shop that was previously there.

Great thanks mate!

My son owns Just Cycles, they moved from Meyersdal Mall (Alberton) to Rietvlei Zoo Farm just before the lockdown... I help out there occasionally.

I'm glad you were able to get out of the mall. I wish you guys much success in your new location. Let's hope those trails start buzzing again soon.

Even my lazy brother got his 26er down from the rafters and is riding with his daughters. Impressed. (Edit: He is the only non cyclist in the family. Became a tennis player for some reason........think perhaps because he is very technically challenged........phoned me about how to fix a puncture........think he tried to lawyer / argue the leak shut) Twenty years of inviting him to come ride the CTCT with me and team DJR had zero effect. One little virus got him stuck at home and see what happens! Cool!

Edited by DJR

I had a knock on the door the other day from my across the street neighbour. After some smalk talk she asked me "you ride bikes hey?". She then proceeds to ask please can I come and pump up her and he daughter's tyres (single mom and daughters)? So I go over and the bikes in the garage are in a terrible state - rusted chains, gears not shifting, flat spots on the tyres, v brakes rubbing, etc. Offered to give them a once over, nothing really new needed but tyres - just some maintenance.

Anyway, I see the two of them out on the bikes every morning when I leave for work. When I look around our estate I see allot of similar bikes that are seeing the light of day for the first time in a while.

Hopefully some of those people get bitten by the cycling bug and out onto the trails / roads more permanently.

Over half a million adults (Total population 5.9 mil) are now cycling on a weekly basis in the Republic of Ireland.

The figures were released as part of Sport Ireland's latest research into levels of sports participation and physical activity.

[emoji2186] 510,000 adults cycling

[emoji409] Up 260,000 on last year

Spez can’t take in any more work until the 11 June.

Local bike shops are full of bikes waiting for the workshop, and several have told me that they’re struggling to get certain parts due to manufacturers not keeping up.

On other FB groups people from various countries are reporting that they have a more limited selection to choose from due to the same.

Unfortunately it hasn’t improved the way people drive.

Edited by The Ghost

Yoh,  out here in Durbs oft maligned leafy suburbs when I was out for obligatory 5km radius trundle there were (still) and amazing number and variety of people out. Naughty groups of cyclists and runners, couples with a pram, families with dogs, older people (must be careful here) commuters; alles.

About 70% with masks in place I would say.  I own up to having let my buff slip down unattended on some of the steeper climbs.

I've run there a few times, I'll def pop in next time, very cool

Whenever I enter a trail, it has signposting up to say that it's "Private Property" and "You require a permit to access these trails"...

doesn't sound "Public" to me. 

HMM is the inside of checkers/ PNP  not also "private property"?

No, they don't open it to the public, it's open to permit holders, which grants you as the holder of said permit access to private property.

Public space is general access, where people, anyone, can freely move through. Places like beaches, parks, malls.

Let me just say this, you dont wear a mask and get arrested and get the Virus in the van= DONT cry here.

HMM is the inside of checkers/ PNP not also "private property"?

Let me just say this, you dont wear a mask and get arrested and get the Virus in the van= DONT cry here.

Yes, but if you walk into pnp your not getting arrested for trespassing. Different access limitations. You need to be granted explicit permission to enter a trail, I don't need to call the manager of pnp so that he can approve my entry.

If I walk into pnp it's all good, if I walk onto a trail without a permit I get arrested for trespassing. That's what makes the difference between public and permitted access. I don't get arrested for walking around a public space.