Lockdown lessons

hansolo

I'm also the only one in the household who can iron. :whistling:

Lol

I admit I am not very domestic.. can't sew, ironing is questionable, and I am limited in the kitchen.. but I can clean..that counts as something hey.. [emoji848]

After my mom had to go to a nursing home her Bernina sewing machine stayed behind..I gave it to my sister in law at least there it will get used..that thing is still going strong after 35 plus years.

Edited by Gen

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lol

I admit I am not very domestic.. can't sew, ironing is questionable, and I am limited in the kitchen.. but I can clean..that counts as something hey.. [emoji848]

I've passed this information on to my friend Peter Sagan, he says "that changes everything" . . . 

:-)

I've passed this information on to my friend Peter Sagan, he says "that changes everything" . . .

:-)

Lol

It's a running joke between myself and my brothers.. look besides Italian food I am not really creative when it comes to lekker food.. so I will think back of some meals my mom used to make and ask my brothers if they have the recipe..more often than not they do as both of them make amazing food... and my one sister in law can cook up the most delicious meals.

Lockdown lesson (for the future):

Try build up and maintain a cash reserve = at least 3 months income / salary for those rainy / corona days

I'm a contractor.. On a rolling 6 month contract.. So I have to have this done because at any one time my contract could not be renewed. I have it at 2 months reserve but with the saving I'm making by not going out and petrol etc... I'm trying to bring it up to 3 months

I think after this we may also all be more compassionate towards each other.. hell here were I am sitting my problems and worries pale in comparison to many others..

I will also support small businesses in future more.

Edited by Gen

Reflecting on the last 3 weeks there are 2 things that stand out to me ...

How much effort parents are putting into occupying children and keeping their minds active, doing school work even though almost all of you are not teachers, some even balancing that with working from home. It may seem daunting to you and a continuous struggle at times but from where I'm standing you're doing a fantastic job. It cannot be easy for them to understand so give yourselves a pat on the back for the outstanding job you are doing.

All my cycling, running (yes even you bunch of weirdos) and other active mates that have got stuck in and found ways to keep exercising, keeping it interesting with all kinds of crazy challenges and tough indoor sessions. Some of you doing things that seem crazy to me but hey keep at it. Give yourselves a pat on the back as well!

For those doing the cooking and baking, damn guys and girls some versatile people I know and some with hidden talents.

I may seem a bit of a 'moaning Myrtle' at times as this whole thing gets me down but on reflection looking at you lot gives me hope [emoji41]

Go well my peeps!

Reflecting on the last 3 weeks there are 2 things that stand out to me ...

How much effort parents are putting into occupying children and keeping their minds active, doing school work even though almost all of you are not teachers, some even balancing that with working from home. It may seem daunting to you and a continuous struggle at times but from where I'm standing you're doing a fantastic job. It cannot be easy for them to understand so give yourselves a pat on the back for the outstanding job you are doing.

All my cycling, running (yes even you bunch of weirdos) and other active mates that have got stuck in and found ways to keep exercising, keeping it interesting with all kinds of crazy challenges and tough indoor sessions. Some of you doing things that seem crazy to me but hey keep at it. Give yourselves a pat on the back as well!

For those doing the cooking and baking, damn guys and girls some versatile people I know and some with hidden talents.

I may seem a bit of a 'moaning Myrtle' at times as this whole thing gets me down but on reflection looking at you lot gives me hope [emoji41]

Go well my peeps!

Well said, sir.

Edited by Andrew_Smith

WE ARE NOT IN THE SAME BOAT ...

I keep hearing that everyone is in the same boat. But it's really not like that. We are in the same storm yes, but we are not in the same boat.

Your ship can be shipwrecked and mine cannot. Or vice versa.

For some, quarantine is optimal and full of moments of reflection, of reconnection and peace. Life is easy in flip flops, with a glass of Coke or or a cup of tea in hand.

For others, this is a desperate crisis. For others it is facing real loneliness. For some it means peace, rest time and a bit of a holiday.

For others, this is torture as they wonder how they are going to pay their bills?

Others were concerned about the bread for the weekend and if the pasta will last for a few more days.

Some were in their "home office" doing all they can to protect the company they work for and still do an honest days work from home.

Others are looking through rubbish bins to survive.

Some want to go back to work because they are running out of money..

Others want to kill those who break the quarantine.

Some need to break the quarantine to stand in a queue at the supermarket. Others just really want to escape.

Others criticize the government for the queue at the shop and for all the uncertainty.

Some have faith in God and are patiently praying and waiting for miracles in 2020.

Others say the worst is yet to come and that's probably our reality.

So, friends, we are not in the same boat.

We are going through a time when our perceptions and needs are completely different.

And each one will emerge, in his/her own way, from that storm.

Some with a tan from their pool. Others with scars on the soul.

It is very important to see beyond what is seen at first glance. Not just looking, more than looking, actually seeing.

See beyond the political party, beyond religion, beyond the nose on your face.

Do not underestimate the pain of others if you do not feel it.

Do not judge the good life of others, do not condemn the bad life of others. Just don't be a judge. Let us not judge the one who lacks, as well as the one who exceeds him.

We are on different ships and all looking to survive. Let everyone navigate their route with respect, empathy and responsibility. Stop the judgement and be kind.

Written by Nicki Peverett

WE ARE NOT IN THE SAME BOAT ...

I keep hearing that everyone is in the same boat. But it's really not like that. We are in the same storm yes, but we are not in the same boat.

Your ship can be shipwrecked and mine cannot. Or vice versa.

For some, quarantine is optimal and full of moments of reflection, of reconnection and peace. Life is easy in flip flops, with a glass of Coke or or a cup of tea in hand.

For others, this is a desperate crisis. For others it is facing real loneliness. For some it means peace, rest time and a bit of a holiday.

For others, this is torture as they wonder how they are going to pay their bills?

Others were concerned about the bread for the weekend and if the pasta will last for a few more days.

Some were in their "home office" doing all they can to protect the company they work for and still do an honest days work from home.

Others are looking through rubbish bins to survive.

Some want to go back to work because they are running out of money..

Others want to kill those who break the quarantine.

Some need to break the quarantine to stand in a queue at the supermarket. Others just really want to escape.

Others criticize the government for the queue at the shop and for all the uncertainty.

Some have faith in God and are patiently praying and waiting for miracles in 2020.

Others say the worst is yet to come and that's probably our reality.

So, friends, we are not in the same boat.

We are going through a time when our perceptions and needs are completely different.

And each one will emerge, in his/her own way, from that storm.

Some with a tan from their pool. Others with scars on the soul.

It is very important to see beyond what is seen at first glance. Not just looking, more than looking, actually seeing.

See beyond the political party, beyond religion, beyond the nose on your face.

Do not underestimate the pain of others if you do not feel it.

Do not judge the good life of others, do not condemn the bad life of others. Just don't be a judge. Let us not judge the one who lacks, as well as the one who exceeds him.

We are on different ships and all looking to survive. Let everyone navigate their route with respect, empathy and responsibility. Stop the judgement and be kind.

Written by Nicki Peverett

The problem is there are many in society that goes crashing into or over the other boats to get what they want and to get a lot more than they actually need.

.................. We are in the same storm yes, but we are not in the same boat..........

True that! And good to reflect on. Thanks for sharing Ben.

We are in very stormy times, thanks Ben for the reminder!

Your post and that of Ben above, reminded me of something I heard during the 1994 elections and all the uncertainty surrounding that:

It is like we are in a little raft and drifting through the Zambezi rapids below Vic Falls. The white water is massive and scary, in the little raft it feels like we are going to get capsized, pounded to pieces against the rocks and drown any moment. But up on the bridge those who are watching think how exciting it must be to be running the rapids and they envy us.

Perspective matters!

Except that with Covid19 EVERYBODY must run the rapids, nobody is watching from the bridge. Like Ben posted, it is just that some are running bigger boats than others, some will have to swim, some don't even have life jackets!   

One of the lessons I have learnt is to have a spare of everything

I need two sets of Elixer Custom Light strings.And of course those rocket scientists don't see them as essential.