PPA urges government to allow cycling under strict lock down conditions

News bot

I only read this fred this mornig

So if you ride for an hour most of you it if not all of you will/should be clear of any built up area the same goes for  riding 20km from your home. So there is no real threat of contamination if you ride longer and further.

So whats with the limits even the amount of times you ride?

Edited by porqui

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

its not rocket science...it has less to do about threat of contamination and more about eliminating the cyclist related accidents/ emergencies at this stage. Same reason booze was banned....to open up hospital beds that would have otherwise been occupied by people with knives in their heads, arms missing because they were drinking and driving etc etc etc.

As Murphy would have it....they allow cycling under lvl 4 (which they wont )...and some superman will go get his skull fractured somewhere on a trail or my-city bus lane and need to be air lifted to the hospital, or worse....need to be connected to a ventilator. 

its not rocket science...it has less to do about threat of contamination and more about eliminating the cyclist related accidents/ emergencies at this stage. Same reason booze was banned....to open up hospital beds that would have otherwise been occupied by people with knives in their heads, arms missing because they were drinking and driving etc etc etc.

As Murphy would have it....they allow cycling under lvl 4 (which they wont )...and some superman will go get his skull fractured somewhere on a trail or my-city bus lane and need to be air lifted to the hospital, or worse....need to be connected to a ventilator. 

more people slip in a shower and end up in ER than cyclists who need ER.....

Stop with the sensationalism

Nonsense. The hospitals are empty.

You should be fine, just a couple of tips:

-Take the 26er...(not the S-Works Tarmac)

-Wear plakkies and baggie shorts(Not your roadie Lycra and Cleats)

-Borrow a Pink "Mandjie" from someone, mountit up front or a lekker crate on the carrier at the back for the groceries.

-Don't wear a helmet

Then people might not harras you as a "selfish cyclist"....

That is exactly what I had in mind.

It is not that I want to ride. I just need to get some stuff that is not available online for delivery.

That is exactly what I had in mind.

It is not that I want to ride. I just need to get some stuff that is not available online for delivery.

Please post a pic of your "ride" ;)

more people slip in a shower and end up in ER than cyclists who need ER.....

Stop with the sensationalism

for now, a non cyclist will make a call about what constitutes "safe" exercise....and they will be handed a list of things....and when they get to cycling...they will think about all the things that can go wrong and base their decision off of that. easy as that....not trying to be sensationalist, just stating how decisions will likely be made.  

And remember to log it on Strava! Add something like "Screw this lockdown" in the title and watch it go viral  :P

Maybe use a photo from an old ride while posting to Strava, but like, seriously obvious, Clear Summer Day. See if your followers suspects something is up...

HAHA

only one thing. I don't have a 26er :-)

But I was going to take this bike and helmet

attachicon.gif2.PNG

attachicon.gif1.PNG

wear a matching skin suit (or body paint?) and they wont even see you :P

Edited by morneS555

Do a search for an interview with a doctor in California, Dr. ERICkSON. It's long but very informative.

https://youtu.be/xfLVxx_lBLU

Oh you mean this clown who doesn't even know what smoke he is blowing out his arse?

The guy that's not even a Medical Doctor but claims to be one?

https://theprepared.com/blog/dr-ericksons-viral-covid-19-briefing-video-is-dangerously-wrong/

Edited by Herman Francois Swart

Dude.

Stop thinking everyone WONT go to level4 or 3 for that matter.

People are not GETTING hungry.  They ARE hungry.

This is not a choice anymore.  Die of hunger or MAYBE die of a virus.

There are HUNDREDS of people busy at the robots the past few days in Pretoria damaging cars trying to threaten food from people going to the shops.  And I am not talking ones and twos.  GROUPS. EVERYWHERE.  Just ($#$@& up the neighborhood.  Lawless.  

Expect more of this, this week.

If L1 is not achieved very very soon, this ******* Covid thing everyone is hiding from will be the LEAST of our worries.

I fully agree, but their is a reason why they have deployed an additional 70000 troops now...hopefully just for support but maybe also for the backlash thats coming?

If I can use an analogy,

Lockdown is like medicine being used to treat an illness, however too much medicine could be detrimental to the body. At which point does the doctor realise that the medicine can do more harm than good.

At the beginning of lockdown I was more concerned about when will I get to ride Tokai again for my own selfish reasons.

However as time goes by, I became less concerned about riding again and you are more concerned for the wellbeing of this country.

I have now witnessed first-hand, friends, family and colleagues suffering economically (i.e wondering how they going to pay bills, buy food etc).

I have also read and witnessed the heart breaking stories of the working class and those in townships and the impoverished majority of this country and you realise how fortunate we are for the ‘easy’ life we have been granted and we should be thankful for our blessings.

In no way should we judge those breaking lockdown rules seeking to feed their family.

In my opinion, this continued strict Lockdown will do more harm to the country than good. The difference between lvl5 and lvl4 is not that big and we should be opening up further.

We havent been given any indication of how long level 4 is intended to last and then the government threatens us with yoyoing between lvl5 and lvl4 if things don’t work out.

I am not saying open up everything and go back to the way it was but at this stage lvl3 is probably a more reasonable level

I maintain, you cant keep a country in lockdown until a vaccine is created (which some estimate will only happen towards the end of 2021) , and you wont be able to stop the spread.

The spread needs to be controlled and managed to ensure that our Health system is not overwhelmed and we can get to “Herd imunity” . As it is now, with our growing infections I am not sure our health system is being overwhelmed yet, so why not ease up a bit more

Also please remember, Lockdown was always meant to be temporary, not the status quo.

PS: If by whatever miracle PPA is successful, im not going to complain. Il be glad to be out on my bike even if they restricted us to a 2km radius

Edited by YaseenEnos