PPA urges government to allow cycling under strict lock down conditions

News bot

Purely anecdotal ....

We have been getting long emails with heaps of attachments from various Health and Safety companies for our various projects.

The one set of well written documents turns out to be a copy-paste from a British HSE document on Covid.  Multiple references to cycling being a safer option for COMMUTING, especially when compared to crowded public transport, and it then specifically refers to "crowded taxis".

"we" worry about how to safely enjoy our sport, while this may well be the safest option for many commuters ....

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got this from an old triathlete mate of mine .... Scant hope for cyclists to get a small reprieve perhaps?

In a letter to members of CSA, the Secretary General, Colin Simpkins, said their request had been denied by the South African Maritime Safety Authority (SAMSA) this morning in response to "our application for a relaxation in the level 4 restrictions, allowing us to return to the water in a limited capacity".

The response by SAMSA was: "While Level 4 is implemented, we cannot allow this. Gyms are closed and although exercise is limited, the request from government is to limit this as much as possible – only walking, jogging and cycling is permitted within the surrounding area of your home”.

never ever confuse a good "Story" with facts .... but let's not forget ... SA has not even tested 220800 people ....  The only thing we KNOW, is the we have no idea of the true numbers in SA ....

bit difficult to "do the math" when you DONT have the real facts .... but never let facts get in the way of a good story ...

Seeing that you like stats lets work with stats that we have. Everybody is going on about the fact that the positive results in South Africa is the hippos ears and there are way more positives. This unfortunately is applicable all over the world. What we can look at is the amount of people being tested vs positive results. Lets compare Spain to SA.  Using the available stats 1 in 5.8 people in Spain tested have contracted Covid-19 compared to SA where only 1 in 37 have tested positive. This is completely different. 

Lets look at another stat, and that is critical patients in Hospital. If we were missing most of the positive cases through a lack of testing, surely we would be seeing way more patients in ICU. According to worldometers.info website that tracks stats, there are 7764 critical patents in Spain vs 36 in South Africa. 

These are the facts as I see them.

Seeing that you like stats lets work with stats that we have. Everybody is going on about the fact that the positive results in South Africa is the hippos ears and there are way more positives. This unfortunately is applicable all over the world. What we can look at is the amount of people being tested vs positive results. Lets compare Spain to SA.  Using the available stats 1 in 5.8 people in Spain tested have contracted Covid-19 compared to SA where only 1 in 37 have tested positive. This is completely different. 

Lets look at another stat, and that is critical patients in Hospital. If we were missing most of the positive cases through a lack of testing, surely we would be seeing way more patients in ICU. According to worldometers.info website that tracks stats, there are 7764 critical patents in Spain vs 36 in South Africa. 

These are the facts as I see them.

To add to that, many countries have seen spikes in their overall death rates (counting all deaths not just specified Corona causes), South Africa haven't, which is a very good indication that at least for deaths we are not under-reporting Corona.

Moderator note:

Please visit the existing "Coronavirus General Discussion" thread for general discussion around the virus, lockdown, etc. 

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/184638-coronavirus-general-discussion/

Let's keep this discussion related to the PPA and other related submissions to government with regards to cycling and the bicycle industry.

Further off-topic posts will be removed. 

A little disappointed with the negative comments on PPA! To their credit they did not respond (most professional organisations would not). From the comfort of my lounge I am able to see from the PPA website what they stand and all the initiatives and activities they are involved in eg. Safe Cycling (Stay Wider of the Rider) / Qbeka bike for all / School cycling safety initiatives etc. Yes they also put on a couple of events a year (every organisation needs to raise funds to survive) and compete with many other 'event organisers'. My experience of their events has always been pretty good. Maybe some of their detractors won't ride the Argus next year because PPA don't do a good job?

Also unfair to compare them to CSA - who take peoples money to enter a race not for the race (who last time I read a thread on this forum did not come out squeaky clean!). As far as a school organisation is concerned - what organisation do the youngsters join after their school careers? There are obviously many clubs out there doing a great job but none have a National footprint (which is what PPA are working hard at achieving).

Lastly, considering I am not aware of any other body (club - sies!) that represents 13 000 cyclists (number quoted earlier - not mine) in this country and has their interests at heart, maybe someone can do a better job and will rent office space, put 15/20 people on the payroll, put a proper strategic plan in place.....just my 5c worth as a paid up member.

A little disappointed with the negative comments on PPA! To their credit they did not respond (most professional organisations would not). From the comfort of my lounge I am able to see from the PPA website what they stand and all the initiatives and activities they are involved in eg. Safe Cycling (Stay Wider of the Rider) / Qbeka bike for all / School cycling safety initiatives etc. Yes they also put on a couple of events a year (every organisation needs to raise funds to survive) and compete with many other 'event organisers'. My experience of their events has always been pretty good. Maybe some of their detractors won't ride the Argus next year because PPA don't do a good job?

Also unfair to compare them to CSA - who take peoples money to enter a race not for the race (who last time I read a thread on this forum did not come out squeaky clean!). As far as a school organisation is concerned - what organisation do the youngsters join after their school careers? There are obviously many clubs out there doing a great job but none have a National footprint (which is what PPA are working hard at achieving).

Lastly, considering I am not aware of any other body (club - sies!) that represents 13 000 cyclists (number quoted earlier - not mine) in this country and has their interests at heart, maybe someone can do a better job and will rent office space, put 15/20 people on the payroll, put a proper strategic plan in place.....just my 5c worth as a paid up member.

I agree. There's no perfect blueprint approach on this. Hopefully the efforts of all parties who sent in submissions (PPA; CSA etc) will help motivate for a safe cycling environment in these uncertain times. Everyone has their opinion on the matter. Lets hope we are able to cycle soon (within whatever regulations are given). 

People complain about cycling, but you'll only be able to see your family and friends at level 1 again according to that draft document. 

Level 4 will probably last the whole of May (3 weeks minimum I say), then June level 3, and if we're lucky at the end of June level 2. Level 1 therefore, if no reverting back to previous levels, will only realize in July at the earliest. 

Anyone willing to bet money that level 1 will only be achieved by September? 

Moderator note:

Please visit the existing "Coronavirus General Discussion" thread for general discussion around the virus, lockdown, etc. 

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/184638-coronavirus-general-discussion/

Let's keep this discussion related to the PPA and other related submissions to government with regards to cycling and the bicycle industry.Further off-topic posts will be removed. 

Please say this with compassion. We are sensitive at the moment.

The Bheki Cele approach scares us.

People complain about cycling, but you'll only be able to see your family and friends at level 1 again according to that draft document. 

Level 4 will probably last the whole of May (3 weeks minimum I say), then June level 3, and if we're lucky at the end of June level 2. Level 1 therefore, if no reverting back to previous levels, will only realize in July at the earliest. 

https://businesstech.co.za/news/government/393250/south-africas-risk-based-lockdown-plan-set-to-last-6-8-months-with-coronavirus-peak-expected-in-september/?source=newsletter

Agreed. Get yourself settled in for the next while. Spring/Summer might be the earliest we can expect to have family gatherings again. Till then the best you can do is "accidentally" run into someone while they also go to the shops for their essentials.

Am I a bad person if I say I miss cycling more than my extended family & friends?  :whistling:

Edited by Skubarra

I think PPA had a great initiative with this proposal. I'll consider myself very lucky if their proposal passes and becomes the official guideline for cycling during Level 4 Lockdown. As others have mentioned, without such a proposal, we are at risk of a non-cyclist defining the guidelines which can be much stricter.

The government has been erring on the safe side all along, so it would be expected to do the same with cycling guidelines, despite everyone here believing that it is safer to go cycling 10 times than to go once to the supermarket.