PPA urges government to allow cycling under strict lock down conditions

News bot

To me that is a dumb idea. If you and one other person is riding on a farm road why must you wear a mask if no one is around?

Got to cater for the masses.

Impossible to have a rule for every single scenario.

Nobody going to care what you doing on a farm road, you can even ride naked. 

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do a search for an interview with a doctor in California, Dr. ERICkSON. It's long but very informative.

https://youtu.be/xfLVxx_lBLU

Youtube has pulled this video because it doesn't meet "community guidelines".....interesting.

Its still up there just search Dr. Erickson Covid

Youtube has pulled this video because it doesn't meet "community guidelines".....interesting.

Its still up there just search Dr. Erickson Covid

Watched it yesterday and even on the other thread the number quoted by our "Gov" seems wrong.

IE it is said 5% need ventilators but that mean currently we are "missing" 61 that should be on a ventilator.

Dont get me wrong. I do think this thing is/can be very dangerous. But currently the numbers dont add up.

Having just come across this thread now, I for one would not mind a 20km ring limit. I would be able to reach Melkbos, Paarden Island and the entire Tygerberg MTB trail route and even Meerendal from my front door...

As for 2 hours, whenever asked, I started 20 minutes ago, at any given time, and I still have 01h40min to go.

I always ride solo anyway.

Having just come across this thread now, I for one would not mind a 20km ring limit. I would be able to reach Melkbos, Paarden Island and the entire Tygerberg MTB trail route and even Meerendal from my front door...

As for 2 hours, whenever asked, I started 20 minutes ago, at any given time, and I still have 01h40min to go.

I always ride solo anyway.

same here I am 3.6km from Meerendal.....so if they open the TBMTBC trails I can do HK, Faircape, etc and be back in 2hours (ish)

Can one currently use your bike to ride to the shop to buy essentials? My car battery is now flat (really is) and I am not bothered to try and get it fixed now etc.

So if I ride to the shop to get milk will I be breaking a law etc?

Can one currently use your bike to ride to the shop to buy essentials? My car battery is now flat (really is) and I am not bothered to try and get it fixed now etc.

So if I ride to the shop to get milk will I be breaking a law etc?

You should be fine, just a couple of tips:

-Take the 26er...(not the S-Works Tarmac)

-Wear plakkies and baggie shorts(Not your roadie Lycra and Cleats)

-Borrow a Pink "Mandjie" from someone, mountit up front or a lekker crate on the carrier at the back for the groceries.

-Don't wear a helmet

Then people might not harras you as a "selfish cyclist"....

I think all of you are confusing the words exercise and sport.

#se-mah-net.

Having said that.

The Supercross season is about to start up again in mid May. Albeit in one location (Arizona)  over an abbreviated 3 week season with no spectators in attendance. So okes should be able to get their live sport fix.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

I fully agree with Jewbacca and others that we as cyclists most definitely do not feature on the governments list on concerns right now. There are much more important things to worry about than a bunch of lycra clad people wanting to work on their tan lines. Furthermore, I find it rather shocking that some people feel that should we given some freedom, it should be without any limitations. If the government gives us permission to ride and they say wear a face mask, dont venture further that 20 km from your home then that is the rule. Throwing a bitch fit is not going to change the decision. It is what it is. Make it work. 

I for one have complied with lock down rules so far except on one occasion. I have left my home on four occasions, 3 times to visit a supermarket and once illegally albeit for a noble cause..........

One of my employees let me know that he had lost his bank card. I am trying to pay my employees a portion of their wages even though they are sitting at home and our business is standing idle.

I went and drew his cash and took a drive to the township where he lives. I was terrified of being stopped by the SAPS on my way to his house and I just hoped that should I be stopped, they would be lenient as I was trying to help somebody.

Shock No 1:

Life seemed to be continuing as normal in the township, people were loitering around standing in groups. Apparently it is business as usual. It honestly looked like a normal day there. 

Shock No 2: 

I entered the street on my employee and stopped at his house. All of a sudden from everywhere, teenagers appeared and proceeded to play a soccer match in the street. I asked my employee where they had appeared from, he explained that the soccer match had been in process but they had a chappy posted as a lookout on the corner of the street. When I entered the street in my unfamiliar car, he sounded the alarm and everyone scattered. As soon as the coast was clear, they reappeared on continued with the match. The same rule applies to any car entering the street. 

Shock No 3: 

I paid the chap and left. It was probably about 15h00. At about 19h00 I received a please call me from this employee.

I immediately called back. He answered, absolutely plastered, music blaring in the background, people laughing and sounding like there is a massive party on the go. I asked him where he was. In a tavern he replied. I explained to him that taverns are meant to be closed. He told me that it doesn't work like that in his township. You just use a back entrance. I asked him if the cops dont raid the place, he said no, the owner is very well connected, the cops wont dare to bother him and in any case there arent many people at the tavern at any given time

So ja...... Here I am, sitting at home obeying the rules whereas it appears as if the rules dont apply to everyone. 

I have absolute sympathy for the fact that many township inhabitants cannot sit at home on their comfortable sofa and watch the 30th rerun of snakes in the city on DSTV . But I dont know how effective the lock down is and will be if people just disregard the rules and laws.

I love how everyone assumes the entire country will be lowering to level 4. It was stated that the lowering of restrictions was all dependent on the numbers and right now, the numbers are the highest ever.

KZN, JHB and WC, good luck! EC and FS will probably get level 4. The other provinces in my opinion should lower to level 3 or less considering there are some provinces with single digit cases.

I'm hoping for the best but I don't think anyone with be out riding this weekend.

Dude.

Stop thinking everyone WONT go to level4 or 3 for that matter.

People are not GETTING hungry.  They ARE hungry.

This is not a choice anymore.  Die of hunger or MAYBE die of a virus.

There are HUNDREDS of people busy at the robots the past few days in Pretoria damaging cars trying to threaten food from people going to the shops.  And I am not talking ones and twos.  GROUPS. EVERYWHERE.  Just ($#$@& up the neighborhood.  Lawless.  

Expect more of this, this week.

If L1 is not achieved very very soon, this ******* Covid thing everyone is hiding from will be the LEAST of our worries.

Edited by Spinnekop

There are HUNDREDS of people busy at the robots the past few days in Pretoria damaging cars trying to threaten food from people going to the shops.  

That is very scary.

Whilst all the amateur virologists, statisticians and economists try to outclever each other with their google skills on here.

snip.

yup. My In-laws' local skinnerbek told most of what you just said to them too. They are duk pelle with a DA ward councillor in their street.