Are cyclist just too superior to keep their masks/buffs on

Stefalbertyn

Screw the science so to speak, my semi-hypoxic state, my brittle little ego and my blerrie itchy neck with that buff on after torque intervals.

The mask has become a universal symbol in 2020, whether its the newest medical type, the faded buff from your 2015 Cape Epic, or the sporty ones from Vye. The mask has become bigger than you or me whether it reduces the aerosol effect by 0.7% or 77% while out in public.

The mask is a symbol of solidarity, brotherhood, sisterhood, ubuntu, unification and a distinctive feature of a new world order in 2020.

Pandemics, being on the verge of nuclear warfare, Brexit, artificial intelligence, cloning technology and the accents of global warming are all features of 'what the hell is going on in the world'.

It's a rare and unique opportunity for all of us to stand together, hey.

Chadwick-Boseman-Tchalla-Black-Panther-B

Edited by 'Dale

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Jeez thankfully I said I'd wear one for as long as it is considered necessary by law/rule or whatever but as soon as it is considered 'optional' I would seriously consider no longer wearing one... Don't really feel like tarring and feathering at this time!

Screw the science so to speak, my semi-hypoxic state, my brittle little ego and my blerrie itchy neck with that buff on after torque intervals.

The mask has become a universal symbol in 2020, whether its the newest medical type, the faded buff from your 2015 Cape Epic, or the sporty ones from Vye. The mask has become bigger than you or me whether it reduces the aerosol effect by 0.7% or 77% while out in public.

The mask is a symbol of solidarity, brotherhood, sisterhood, ubuntu, unification and a distinctive feature of a new world order in 2020.

Pandemics, being on the verge of nuclear warfare, Brexit, artificial intelligence, cloning technology and the accents of global warming are all features of 'what the hell is going on in the world'.

It's a rare and unique opportunity for all of us to stand together, hey.

Chadwick-Boseman-Tchalla-Black-Panther-B

I can almost hear John Lennon.  Sweet sentiment, but I think elevating masks to a universal symbol of brotherhood is smearing it on a bit thick.

There are many out there who couldn't give a rodent's anus for anyone but themselves. A good number if them have shown as much on this thread, and quite a few more whenever I leave the house on a ride.

Sadly there is nothing that will change this, so it's best to just jog on. If it makes you feel any better, maybe imagine that they'll come to grief by some sort of universal retribution.

Otherwise just try not to be like them, cos at least that way the balance can tilt a bit. Not much, but enough to make a difference to a few people.

That said, cough in my direction and you'll end up in a ditch.

Namaste.

Cool attitude, but fear not they will, 96% +, will be fine. That was exactly the point of all the covid discussions. We keep forgetting that less than 4% will have a problem. Which is really insignificant to be honest.

So the stay at homers, mask wearers, et al do as you wish the rest will also and no real disaster is going to befall the populace compared to other risks.

I can almost hear John Lennon.  Sweet sentiment, but I think elevating masks to a universal symbol of brotherhood is smearing it on a bit thick.

Haha. I've seen them compared with muzzles or gags as the perfect symbol of this age.

Then why does every Doc I know insist on Masks in public? So we do not drop the virus everywhere?

So if the sweet on the side of my face now has a higher viral load, but it is also heavier so it will fall to ground quicker?

Why did I read all those website when I could just have asked you. Stupid me, stupid doc's.

D I D knows best.

All the docs I speak with are saying it's a nice feel good measure. But publicly they have to to the Health Ministry line.

You assume that drops of saliva don't have a tiny droplet component? See this is why that Belgian study was so misleading. Is a body of liquid only the liquid you see or is there a vapour phase above it?

Similarly with sweat and saliva and breath condensate

Cool, so we can disregard rules we think are stupid.

Sweet, the guy in the block behind me has irritated me for the last 20 years, I'll just swing past there and put a bullet in him.

I think the traffic light at the entrance to my suburb is stupid, I'll ignore it from now on.

Oh and I've always wanted a super lights carbon road bike, I think I'll walk into Tony Impey's store on the way home and just take one. If he calls the cops I'll tell them the internet said I can ignore rules I think are stupid.

unjust laws should not be obeyed. Are you advocating that unjust laws are ok?

Well now its been ruled unconstitutional its awkward.  

Yeah lets see how that's going to play out. Clearly others have been muscled out of the fight and Mr De Beer saw it through. Lets hope that it sticks and NDZ gets fired for not getting her ducks in a row before destroying the economy. 

If you dont agree with a law/rule there are channels you can go through to contest it, but if every Tom, Dick and Harry just decides to ignore the rules they feel dont apply to them or are stupid there would be even more chaos in the world than there currently is.

Do you for example operate your pedal cycle with a white retro reflector on the front and a red retro reflector on the back? Is there some class action lawsuit afoot to remove this inane requirement now that OUTA has sorted our D.Myeni, or do you believe that this rule does not apply to you. Call me Dick if you must, but I also answer to Tom and Harry. Also now that you know this is a rule will you now buy said reflectors and fit them (to avoid the chaos)?

Well now its been ruled unconstitutional its awkward.  

and there you have it! I am pleased the high court has confirmed the point i have been making all day!

At this point in a thread with 2 grammatical errors just in the title.. really Patch.

It wasn’t that it was an error, those happen all the time I make heads of them and spend my life editing my own posts, it was how that error spelt and sounded out, which made my eye twice. Saying “folt” out loud made me think of my Afrikaans mates saying fault in their accents :)

I don't believe it makes one once of difference.

Until that one time that it does make a difference to someone.

I've had many a discussion (mostly over a glass of red) about why my wife and I choose to recycle fairly aggressively and run our house largely off the grid at significant cost and effort, seeing as we don't have children and don't plan on having any. Why bother then?

My answer: If through my actions I can save just one animal from being strangled by a piece of plastic, or being suffocated by pollution of some kind, or succumbing to thirst or hunger, it'll all be worth it. For me, it's as simple as that.

Edited by LazyEnduroRider

Until that one time that it does make a difference to someone.

I've had many a discussion (mostly over a glass of red) about why my wife and I choose to recycle fairly aggressively and run our house largely off the grid at significant cost and effort, seeing as we don't have children and don't plan on having any. Why bother then?

My answer: If through my actions I can save just one animal from being strangled by a piece of plastic, or being suffocated by pollution of some kind, or succumbing to thirst or hunger, it'll all be worth it. For me, it's as simple as that.

You make a very good point.