I disagree.Bic disposable razors are crap

Yes, why was I not suprised at this....

Edited by Mojoman

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ironic indeed but most probably totally unrelated - a fantastic education system churning out bright minds.

You gone through Dutch education system?

In theory all helmets must be SABS approved and marked as safe. Otherwise like th p**** pot harley helmets they must be sold as party accessories not helmets.

It scares me that there are spiderman motorbike helmets sold in grocery stores that are not tested or safe that people are putting on and believing are safe.

So in theory the R500 helmet meets minimum safety requirements if it is being sold through the correct channels. I still have that question of a new R800 helmet every 4 months or a R2400 helmet once a year. Which is safer?

As per more expensive helmets being safer, in Motorbikes I can see it, with higher speed ratings, better shell materials. In bicycle helmets it is more a trust they did a bit ore research into the design and know you likely paying for more vents.

i always wondered about those urine-caps of harley riders - are those things street legal?  I am always amused that you would never see harley riders with a full helmet - I think those okes would rather die, literally!

i always wondered about those urine-caps of harley riders - are those things street legal?  I am always amused that you would never see harley riders with a full helmet - I think those okes would rather die, literally!

Years ago when I first got a motorbike I was shown a pic of what happens to your face with those pisspot helmets. Full face all the way!

Fortunately you can't go fast enough on a Harley to actually hurt yourself.

This thread is miss titled. It should be

Helmet Replacement An opportunity to buy a new lid every 3 years.

Years ago when I first got a motorbike I was shown a pic of what happens to your face with those pisspot helmets. Full face all the way!

On a motorbike I'll only wear an Arai or a Shoei.

i always wondered about those urine-caps of harley riders - are those things street legal? I am always amused that you would never see harley riders with a full helmet - I think those okes would rather die, literally!

Open face helmets are legal, but not the pisspots you are thinking about. They must cover the ears, and one or two other requirements (can't remember them).

I used to ride with a pisspot but after one or two near misses I started wearing a full face.

you just need to google openface helmet motorcycle accident once and you will be sold on full face helmets.

I apparently woke up in a barb wire fence during a enduro years ago. I say apparently only because I can't remember it, I have to trust the medics who pulled me out. Helmet care, replacement and purchasing has been key since then. That and neck braces...

No real difference in safety or even comfort between your R800 or R5000 helmet.

Extra costs come at weight, ventilation, aerodynamics, slightly more refined materials (straps, fit dial etc) and marketing.

https://cyclingtips.com/2018/06/new-independent-test-ranks-bicycle-helmet-safety/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2598379/

I may be missing it but I didn't see that conclusion reached in either of the links above.

you just need to google openface helmet motorcycle accident once and you will be sold on full face helmets.

I apparently woke up in a barb wire fence during a enduro years ago. I say apparently only because I can't remember it, I have to trust the medics who pulled me out. Helmet care, replacement and purchasing has been key since then. That and neck braces...

As a person who used to ride a lot of motorbike, I fully agree with you. But I'm still not wearing a full face on a bicycle for normal marathon type work. Only if you are doing Enduro and that kind of thing I reckon – downhill as well I suppose.

Edited by MudLark

Sensibility question:

Let's say you commute by bicycle very regularly. Would you consider a more full face helmet, or even a motorbike helmet?

You are most concerned with preserving your noggin, no concerns about esthetics at marginal gains.

Sensibility question:

Let's say you commute by bicycle very regularly. Would you consider a more full face helmet, or even a motorbike helmet?

You are most concerned with preserving your noggin, no concerns about esthetics at marginal gains.

Me, I would probably still use a normal helmet. Speaking only for myself, I find that I have more peripheral awareness, it's easier to turn the head, et cetera et cetera. Avoiding being hit is first prize. Having a good helmet on when you are hit is second prize. Others may have a different view.

I should probably have stated that I currently am riding with a ~R1500 spaz lid. Was the right mix of comfort and (I guess) safety/reputation tradeoffs. I'm not convinced that anything above R500 gives you more safety for your money.

If the r&d component was so high, then the logical process would be more extensive crash replacement policies. Instead helmets are like sunglasses, a fricken ripoff.

Then you buying the wrong brands.

Most of the big brands off crash replacements in the first 3 years (1 per helmet purchase). I know Bell & Giro offer a 70% discount on retail for crash replacement policy.

In most cases, the more you pay, the better safety is of the helmet. The Giro Aether is a prime example with spherical MIPS.

Can’t put a price on brains.

Sensibility question:

And here is the rub ....

NO helmet provides 100 % protection on a bicycle.

In fact, with most cyclists opting for an open face helmet, it provides limited cover.

By all means, invest in a decent helmet ...

No ways I am cycling in a full face helmet, then again, I am not part of the world DH pro team ..

Right gear for YOUR type of riding, and umderstanding its limitations.

Do yourselves a favour

Go and get a decent safety razor, +/- R350 at the bottom end of the scale, then buy BIC blades for it.

Replace blade every 3-5 days depending on how european your hair growth is. Less than R20 for pack of 5 blades.

You will never look back.

Cleanest shave I've ever had, no razor burn or shaving rash.

See the link below. But you dont have to go full hog with the creams and brush etc. Just get some Gillette shaving gel, works just as well.

https://www.artofmanliness.com/articles/how-to-shave-like-your-grandpa/

Aaah please don't encourage the hipsters to derail this thread....