Future of non-cycling discussion on Bike Hub

Matt

Lol, reading the op again this whole thread is just a storm in a teacup.

All that's needed is more moderators, hand out a few warnings and some ban hammers and things will be ship shape chop chop.

Why Matt and co would want to manage the forums on top of running the business side is beyond me.

There are almost no events ...

Very little cycling to talk about ....

No wonder this "storm in a tea cup" gets so much attention .....

In the end we are just guests here. Change is part of the game .... some will adapt, some will move on .... it is the nature of the beast.

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll happily have chit chat behind a paywall. To be honest.. Better tweety bird, one Facebook group and bikehub... There's where I invest all my time online socially. Take chit chat away and I'll move on to something else I guess.. But I'll move along

Me too I suspect

Does anyone else now think twice about a causal classifieds browse because you know its making the forums no's look worse!? haha

Hehe

No.....

Ah, right. So, are they just not up to snuff with moderating the O/T forum?

It seems like the problem as stated in the OP of this thread is that sorting out the squabbles in O/T is taking up too much of Matt's time, and is therefore a problem. 

It seems like that could easily be sorted out without binning the thing entirely?

Edited by TNT1

It's a forum.  People will debate arbitrary points and get into big fights.  Removing Off Topic chats will not resolve it.

The older hubbers might remember that the fights between Winningtime and Championchip was one of the big fights that I think contributed to the dimise of the Supercycling site.

Cutting the Off topic forum will:

A) reduce complaints to moderator (maybe assuming there won't be cycling related fights which I don't think will happen as we have pretty heated debates in ex Cycling safety topics)

B) reduce posts on the hub

C) reduce members

The main focus of the hub should remain cycling related.  But the US politics in my opinion should reduce after the 21st of Jan.  The other big thread is the Covid which indirectly started because cyclists tend to think of what the effect of the virus would be on them and with lockdown it had a big impact on every one and that is why it would be such a debated topic.  This should also start dying down by June next year in my opinion if not earlier.

Hmm IMO the Hub and its ethic will die if this happens and i will probably go along with it.

Whilst i get the off topic piece the amount of good that has been done far outweighs the wankers that cant express themselves without resorting to threats. I dont have time to name all the threads i have seen or taken part in that are non cycling related and have been useful and almost inspirational. This is the sense of community you have. If you kill this you will become another classifieds site with no soul.

My 2 cents worth

I have tried the 4x4 forum, I have tried avcom, I have tried my broadband, flip I have even tried the nissan owners forum. They all k@k. Bikehub is the place to be. Lets not stuff it up, lets be lekker. Create a whatsapp group if you want to go off on a tangent.

I think there it is again. It's important to you, so you see value in it. You also don't want to be told there isn't value to it as you believe there is.

Guys are the same with their god, their science, their social perceptions. No one likes to be told that what they see and how they see it isn't as important as they think it is.

Lets say I buy Matzos from Pick n Pay 4 times a week. Suddenly they decide Matzos isn't that important so they stop stocking it because it only makes up 400zar a week sales.

That would be devastating to me and the other 16 Matzos people, but to the other 55000 shoppers who don't buy Matzos, it makes no difference.

We are unfortunately the Matzos buyers, whether you like to believe it or not.

make it at home you lazy punk!

https://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/homemade-matzos

Lets be contentious...as there are NO FREE LUNCHES

BikeHub Basic membership gives access to BikeHub but limited to 10 forum comments per month. (No charge).

Bike Hub Chat membership allows you up to 60 forum comments per month (R10 per month).

BikeHub Chat Mega allows you unlimited forum comments per month. (R20 per month)

Bike Hub Plus allows Mega (see above) including it's present offering (+- R40 per month)

(wonder how many "friends" I still have!)

Lets be contentious...as there are NO FREE LUNCHES

BikeHub Basic membership gives access to BikeHub but limited to 10 forum comments per month. (No charge).

Bike Hub Chat membership allows you up to 60 forum comments per month (R10 per month).

BikeHub Chat Mega allows you unlimited forum comments per month. (R20 per month)

Bike Hub Plus allows Mega (see above) including it's present offering (+- R40 per month)

(wonder how many "friends" I still have!)

That is how you kill the forum.