Future of non-cycling discussion on Bike Hub

Matt

'Under the editorship of Lance Branquinho, ride24 is a fresh new site...'

'His background includes working for well-known publications such as ... Bikehub, ...'

Hmmm, whats going on here...

Lance is a member here, but most of his stuff is motoring journalism through Wheels 24 etc. Makes sense that if N24 are expanding their offering, they include it under his editing purview. He's already part of their editorial team. He's done a few articles for BH, too. 

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lets be contentious...as there are NO FREE LUNCHES

BikeHub Basic membership gives access to BikeHub but limited to 10 forum comments per month. (No charge).

Bike Hub Chat membership allows you up to 60 forum comments per month (R10 per month).

BikeHub Chat Mega allows you unlimited forum comments per month. (R20 per month)

Bike Hub Plus allows Mega (see above) including it's present offering (+- R40 per month)

(wonder how many "friends" I still have!)

I will have to use my +1's sparingly....

What about the serial posters like P A T C H ?

Will they get a special price for Giga posting??

That's got me excited to see the yearly Bikhub Forum Stats... they are going to make for interesting reading methinks...

for what it's worth. here roughly is the evolution of the freedom challenge following, with various mediums and systems coming and going in parrallel.

2003/04/05 - cross karoo/FC - reports every few days on ar.co.za/advracesa yahoogroups mailing list

2006 - warthogs mtb mailing list added some more info

2006 - 2012, and then sporadic - actual rider blogs from the trail!

2007 - 2011 - freedomchallenge.org.za forum

2010 - 2015 twitter makes an entrance and becomes de facto

2012 - 2018  freedom challenge threads on the bikehub website

2018 - now freedom challenge fb page

2017 - now   private whatsapp goups

and obviously the freedomchallenge.org.za website itself for latest news/updates, as well as the tracking system.

things change, not always for the better. 

to think i really got into mtb kakpraat through the warthogs mtb mailing list, this was pre bikehub web2.0 and my gawd was there some needles in that haystack

things change, not always for the better. 

to think i really got into mtb kakpraat through the warthogs mtb mailing list, this was pre bikehub web2.0 and my gawd was there some needles in that haystack

Goodness, yes. I remember that! 

I got into that mailing list in around 2010 or so. Left in around 2015. 

That's got me excited to see the yearly Bikhub Forum Stats... they are going to make for interesting reading methinks...

According to popular rumour....It’s between you, patch and gen

????

"If we look at it purely from a numbers perspective: Chit chat accounts for 0.6% of our monthly users and 0.9% of our monthly page views, with 3.5% of total forum users participating in or viewing Chit Chat. Simply put, it's not there to generate page views or revenue"

I guess the numbers don't lie, and certainly from a revenue potential point of view.

What i am curious about are the following stats:

what is the relative volume of comments of the chitchat section, and how does this compare to the volumes in other threads?  this will give a sense of the level of engagement, albeit it among a relatively small number of users.  My guess is that the chit chat sections are dominated by high volume users, albeit it a relatively small number of users.

Also, I am curious about how much these high volume chitchat users post across the rest of the site.  My guess is that they likely account for significant volumes of posting across the site in all threads, and who likely add a lot of the texture and community that benefits other users.  I think this issue is far more tricky than it appears

I think so too.It's only a handful of users beating the Corona invasion to death.

The same applies to the Trump celebration.

Other threads that spring to mind is the arts and crafts thread and the buggering off one which is predominantly frequented by a group of expats justifying their move.The Hobbits have their own small little quiet and orderly group.

Most members frequent the cycling and cycling related threads and classifieds

Its not the end of the world and one must learn to accept changes.Admin has his Vision and Goals.

i ride naked on my indoor trainer...is that special kit?  :lol:

Thats something only your wife or pets can answer... lucky for us  :ph34r:

...and Mega can open up a host of other off topic subjects like hot looking riders (I'm keeping it tidy here) and lots of other topics not accessible to normal members... a kind of smorgasbord of nonsense stuff to keep the keyboards ticking of the very few  members who need this type of daily fix.

It would make the subscription paid ABSOLUTELY worth it...

Go on Matt...Do It...!

(my friends count has just reached ...zero!)

Lets be contentious...as there are NO FREE LUNCHES

BikeHub Basic membership gives access to BikeHub but limited to 10 forum comments per month. (No charge).

Bike Hub Chat membership allows you up to 60 forum comments per month (R10 per month).

BikeHub Chat Mega allows you unlimited forum comments per month. (R20 per month)

Bike Hub Plus allows Mega (see above) including it's present offering (+- R40 per month)

(wonder how many "friends" I still have!)