Future of non-cycling discussion on Bike Hub

Matt

Forums will change over time, that is a given.

If you look at SA's biggest forum - Mybroadband, the name says everything, it was started around broadband issues and Telkom's monopoly.

These days broadband is in a much better situation and the forum has moved on to more of a general discussions type forum. Its a big business and it attracts a number of users.

Sure its not the most friendly place to be anymore, the philosophical discussions and political threads are a dogshow, but its a site driven by "off topic" discussions.

Any site with a limited audience that eliminates threads which arent related to its core purpose is going to die eventually. SA is very much a limited audience and while there are international visitors to the site, they are seldom long term users unless they are ex-saffas.

TLDR; The forums will dwindle to a point where it isnt feasible anymore if off topic discussions are removed.

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This site has been incredibly slow to respond today - I'm worried one of these refreshes the forums will be outta here...

I have tried the 4x4 forum, I have tried avcom, I have tried my broadband, flip I have even tried the nissan owners forum. They all k@k. Bikehub is the place to be. Lets not stuff it up, lets be lekker. Create a whatsapp group if you want to go off on a tangent.

Dunno hey, I just checked I'm on 22k posts on myBB and 26k here. Maybe I should actually do some work. 

"If we look at it purely from a numbers perspective: Chit chat accounts for 0.6% of our monthly users and 0.9% of our monthly page views, with 3.5% of total forum users participating in or viewing Chit Chat. Simply put, it's not there to generate page views or revenue"

I guess the numbers don't lie, and certainly from a revenue potential point of view.

What i am curious about are the following stats:

what is the relative volume of comments of the chitchat section, and how does this compare to the volumes in other threads?  this will give a sense of the level of engagement, albeit it among a relatively small number of users.  My guess is that the chit chat sections are dominated by high volume users, albeit it a relatively small number of users.

Also, I am curious about how much these high volume chitchat users post across the rest of the site.  My guess is that they likely account for significant volumes of posting across the site in all threads, and who likely add a lot of the texture and community that benefits other users.  I think this issue is far more tricky than it appears

Lets be contentious...as there are NO FREE LUNCHES

BikeHub Basic membership gives access to BikeHub but limited to 10 forum comments per month. (No charge).

Bike Hub Chat membership allows you up to 60 forum comments per month (R10 per month).

BikeHub Chat Mega allows you unlimited forum comments per month. (R20 per month)

Bike Hub Plus allows Mega (see above) including it's present offering (+- R40 per month)

(wonder how many "friends" I still have!)

What about the serial posters like P A T C H ?

Will they get a special price for Giga posting??

????

We have determined the off topic posts are important to many users and not viable according to the regime (tongue in cheek comment). It’s starting to go around and around like a dog chasing a football.

Time for Admin to give us his verdict

???? or ????

it's not in 'off topics'

Its not anywhere actually. I can't see 'site announcements' nor 'help desk' under any forum headings

Its not anywhere actually. I can't see 'site announcements' nor 'help desk' under any forum headings

Weird. I see it if I click on "view all forums". There's help desk and under that site announcements.

well if the Hub dies there's always this option 

https://www.news24.com/ride24

'Under the editorship of Lance Branquinho, ride24 is a fresh new site...'

'His background includes working for well-known publications such as ... Bikehub, ...'

Hmmm, whats going on here...

Weird. I see it if I click on "view all forums". There's help desk and under that site announcements.

Oh you're quite right, I was only looking through the drop down options

Maybe "off topics" are just going to be rebranded to "site announcements". e.g. Site announcement: "Girls on Bikes", or Site Announcement : "Donald Drumpf"