Motorists vs Cyclists.... again

Terminator

8 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

Oooooooooo looook at lawyer Hairy…!!

you are technically right though , these Speeding cretins had a bout of safety conscience just as the accident was happening and slowed right down….

apologies for the sarcasm …I know I know it’s been a rough morning starting with jehovahs witnesses knocking on my door followed some braless unemployed animal rights activists asking for signatures to prevent livestock from emigrating to the Middle East with everyone else 

Am I the only one wondering where the pic is of the braless activist? 🤣😅😆😝

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, Shebeen said:

ja, you may well be right.  but. the motorbike group claim they were not doing that. I don't find it implausible that the cyclist took the tight corner wide whilst going downhill. Either way, someone is not telling the truth.

Neither you nor I were there. If that eyewitness makes a solid statement to police then it would be hard to ignore. I'm guessing there could be enough evidence on the tarmac and resting place of vehicles, bodies and parts for a forensic expert to work it out without conflicting eyewitness reports.

There was an incident recently in silvermine. Dog got run over by sanparks vehicle. eyewitness (dog walker) claimed it was reckless and killed the dog. Owner not there and kicked up a huge fuss about negligence, understandably people get very emotional when someone's pet has died so pitchforks were sharpened quickly. Sanparks looked into it, vehicle travelling 8km/h according to GPS when passing. Turns out the dog was quite old, so maybe just got a fright and that was the end.  but the pitchfork brigade now saying that clearly Sanparks manipulated GPS data to absolve themselves (but seemingly don't have a report from vet or blood/injuries anywhere). That's my roundabout way of asking, do motorbikes often have GPS trackers on them, either for sport or theft tracking? That would be a reliable way to find out who is talking porkies about the incident.

The insurance company might require a gps tracker but that information will be held in confidence unless the police issue a warrant for the info? Chances of that happening? There will be more eyewitness reports I’m sure once people know information is required. Beige Land Cruiser might not be the only relevant party 

Edited by DieselnDust

16 hours ago, DuncanCT said:

Are we as South Africans so accepting of the state of law enforcement (lack of enforcement) that it's just easier to point fingers at other road users and hope for behavioural changes. There are hardly any consequences to any road users action. (bicycle, motorbike, car, bus, truck)

As an example I saw a speed camera on Sunday morning coming down Suikerbossie into Hout Bay. And the traffic vehicle was "hidden" in Mount Rhodes Drive. Firstly, these camera do nothing for behaviour modification. If someone speeding drives past and doesn't see it, they continue driving as before. And I assume the cameras are worthless for motorbikes as they only get front number plates. And you're lucky if these fines ever get posted. So instead on deploying an officer to activity monitor the road, someone has decided to rather stick a camera up.

I assume there isn't an entity putting pressure on local government to get these things right. Does anyone know how many 1m passing rule fines have been issued ever? How many fines for rides not riding single fine? When was the last time any one actually pulled over for speeding while speeding?

This motorbike incident has been something waiting to happen. Nobody is going change if there are no consequence to their action. If anything surly it'll only get worse?

I assume the Traffic Department is run by the Local Government? Where is Local Government?

We have an official unemployment rate of 32%, continuous load shedding, state capture, mines about to fire 1000's of people, out of control public sector debt and spending, fraud, corruption, a high murder rate, out of control illegal immigration, failing ports, failing railways, taxis driving however they want, people starving, pit latrines in schools and you expect them to sit and monitor the safety on a narrow piece of road and enforce a 1m overtake rule for cyclists. That is a 1st world problem and we are far from 1st world.

Sad business and I sort of know how bicycle and motorcycle riders can get carried away in the thrill of nailing a windy road (downhill for cyclists) but, with age, I have realised that doing this on a shared public road is er, quite risky. I have had my scares and scars, mainly on gravel roads in KZN and Lesotho, and lost a few friends along the way and seen plaster city first hand.

I have been "surprised" (skrikked) by a breakfast run howling past me when I was puttering at 100km/hr on a dirt bike and encountered some cyclists that needed evasive action to pass safely but it is what it is.

My take: if you want to go (really) fast on a road going motorcycle, go to track days (there should be more "let off steam opportunities" I think).

Road bicycle; if knowingly sharing the road with traffic (I hardly do) it can be deadly dangerous, even being sharp isn't enough as there is always some bastid out to kill you. I'm just back from a 40minute trundle (lights front and back), mainly on surfaced roads, and there were plenty of opportunities for bad accidents, mainly cars pulling out of driveways or turning across at intersections. Makes you think when enjoying a downhill even at 50km/hr.

I really hope the cyclist heals up and the motorcyclist learns a lesson.

1 hour ago, mazambaan said:

My take: if you want to go (really) fast on a road going motorcycle, go to track days (there should be more "let off steam opportunities" I think).

Funny thing is that those over excited sunday morning hardcore superbike riders, once they are at Killarney, they ride like scared puppies

Edited by Jbr

26 minutes ago, Jbr said:

Funny thing is that those over excited sunday morning hardcore superbike riders, once they are at Killarney, they ride like scared puppies

lol this is soooo true. Witnessed this at a company track day last year. Okes who talk up a big game in cars got their arses handed to them by a “&” Argust age grouper when the karts came out.

i used to enjoy descending mountain passes on my road bike. Now im miss daisy because i just don’t know what’s around the corner. I can’t trust anyone to do the right thing and obey the law. Given an opportunity to break the culture seems to be to smash it. 
I’be become an admirer of Japans vehicle homologation laws : 180km/hr max no matter how fast you get there. If your car gets caught going faster it’s impounded and you pay a lot of money for the government to fix it for you. Get caught again and they take your license and destroy the car /bike.

we need that here with some follow through. 

21 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

with some follow through. 

THIS being the biggest problem in this country, the laws are there, but are only enforced when its convenient and easy to do

20 hours ago, The Ouzo said:

many years ago when we first started doing "the august" , 2 or 3 pink buses would pull into Fish Hoek over the same weekend. These buses were full of Swedish (at least I seem to recall them being swedish) students on some sort of back packing holiday.

It sure was a sight to behold

Ah man I remember those busses. It was like clockwork, we would arrive in fish hoek for our stay and a day or so later they would arrive. I remember when they stopped coming, the beach was not really an attraction anymore and I just walked on the road to the restaurant. 

3 hours ago, mazambaan said:

Sad business and I sort of know how bicycle and motorcycle riders can get carried away in the thrill of nailing a windy road (downhill for cyclists) but, with age, I have realised that doing this on a shared public road is er, quite risky. I have had my scares and scars, mainly on gravel roads in KZN and Lesotho, and lost a few friends along the way and seen plaster city first hand.

I have been "surprised" (skrikked) by a breakfast run howling past me when I was puttering at 100km/hr on a dirt bike and encountered some cyclists that needed evasive action to pass safely but it is what it is.

Road bicycle; if knowingly sharing the road with traffic (I hardly do) it can be deadly dangerous, even being sharp isn't enough as there is always some bastid out to kill you. I'm just back from a 40minute trundle (lights front and back), mainly on surfaced roads, and there were plenty of opportunities for bad accidents, mainly cars pulling out of driveways or turning across at intersections. Makes you think when enjoying a downhill even at 50km/hr.

I really hope the cyclist heals up and the motorcyclist learns a lesson.

my story edzackery. I know what I know and i have become a lot less confident of others abilties around me and also the chances of things going pear shaped - it happens more than you think. Rather be in a place where you have a gap to react, than asking WTF happened. 

Statistics are a horrible thing - the longer you go without a major crash the higher the likelihood is of it happening. Every now and then the horns and tail comes out and I am flying down a hill cause i love decsending and fancy myself as being able to go fast downhill. I quickly seem to pull the brakes as the edge isnt really that interesting any more - if it goes wrong it could have some mortal consequences.

1 hour ago, Long Wheel Base said:

Ah man I remember those busses. It was like clockwork, we would arrive in fish hoek for our stay and a day or so later they would arrive. I remember when they stopped coming, the beach was not really an attraction anymore and I just walked on the road to the restaurant. 

what a pity

8 minutes ago, Paul Ruinaard said:

my story edzackery. I know what I know and i have become a lot less confident of others abilties around me and also the chances of things going pear shaped - it happens more than you think. Rather be in a place where you have a gap to react, than asking WTF happened. 

Statistics are a horrible thing - the longer you go without a major crash the higher the likelihood is of it happening. Every now and then the horns and tail comes out and I am flying down a hill cause i love decsending and fancy myself as being able to go fast downhill. I quickly seem to pull the brakes as the edge isnt really that interesting any more - if it goes wrong it could have some mortal consequences.

I often get asked what my fastest speed i've seen on my bike, back when I was young and dumb and full on invincibility riding a steel frame with 19mm tyres I hit some crazy speeds, these days I'm a good 20km/h slower, not because I cant physically go faster, but because I cant mentally let myself go faster. 

10 minutes ago, The Ouzo said:

I often get asked what my fastest speed i've seen on my bike, back when I was young and dumb and full on invincibility riding a steel frame with 19mm tyres I hit some crazy speeds, these days I'm a good 20km/h slower, not because I cant physically go faster, but because I cant mentally let myself go faster. 

Rather go a little slower, but get to go again.! 😊