Motorists vs Cyclists.... again

Terminator

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Paul Ruinaard said:

Yeah i am not really going to go down this rabbit hole too far. I think this exemplifies the issue at hand. Got nothing to do with social media. You seem to think that its the bike riders duty  to ensure that he gets out of the way of a motor bike rider who is using a public road illegally and at high speed and in a way that is dangerous to others.

FWIW I am local in Paarl and spend a lot of time on Franschoek pass and Hels and up Bains - we were there last weekend. I have also got the few hundred thousand kms on bikes - powered and not  - i am 60 and started riding motorbikes at 9 in the back yards so have been some places on two wheels and have ben on bicyles since 1995.

Every weekend especially in good weather its full here in the region with guys wanting to test their riding and driving abilties of their toys.  Cars i didn't mention - they are another complete discussion but the bikers definitely get my attention because of the above and the fact i was one of them. You really are being naive in assuming that closing the throttle from 180 or 200kmh to 140 allows you a better margin for error when someone in a skedonk pulls out of a side entrance in to your path. And you are naive if you think that your reactions are cat like and you will be able to avoid this type of incident. Especially if the only path to do so is to go in to the oncoming lane and or in to the cyclists coming upf rom the other side. And if it hasn't happened then its only a matter of time before it does.

Your abilties and your skills - That's all bravado mate and what you think you are capable of is really a matter of subjective opinion We all think we are skilled on a bike. You can crow all you want about your abilities and pedigree. And TBH you may be very skilled but the roads are not for using to demonstrate your abilities to put your knees down or carve curves fast.

They are there for the general public to use within a framework of laws. If these laws are flouted or disobeyed in other instances its not for you to decide you are immune from them nor to break them at will "because others do" . That's the issue here. Your belief your rights are higher/better/stronger than others - which is of course a fallacy,  irrespective of the taxes you pay the car you drive or the speed you ride on two or four wheels powered or unpowered.

Aaaaaaiiiii toggie ....  

ZERO comprehension of what I typed !

Not to mention mis-quoting me ....

But so typical of "social media" .....  MOST post are "shot from the hip", knee jerk reactions at best, with little to no comprehension of what is replied to.

Wishing you well out on the bike 👍

2 hours ago, Oli4 said:

So when you hear 6 idiots racing up and down Chappies, other motorists cyclists runners, busses and caracals for good measure should go have a cup of coffee? 

You're part of the problem.

No, I just have a healthy sense of self preservation ..... DUH !!!

Now back to CONTEXT .... so sad people can READ !!!!!!!!

I have NEVER had to pull over for coffee, as I have yet to encounter a "group of racers" on these passes.  The type that stays flat box despite any other traffic on the roads.

Magtag, maar hier is paar manne wat kan doen met lees lesse ...

11 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

pics or it didn't happen. Asking for a friend :whistling:

many years ago when we first started doing "the august" , 2 or 3 pink buses would pull into Fish Hoek over the same weekend. These buses were full of Swedish (at least I seem to recall them being swedish) students on some sort of back packing holiday.

It sure was a sight to behold

5 hours ago, PygaSchmyga said:

just stop now, really

Why must he stop? He is entitled to his opinion If you do not like his opinion well, don't read it.

One Sunday afternoon heading to Contermanskloof for a ride, I came across a guy lying under the armco barriers indicated at (1) below. His Honda CBR600 was lying on its side by the entrance (2) . I made the call to first responders, waited for them to arrive and watched them declare him deceased. He passed while we (myself and two other people) were waiting. While the medics were waiting for SAPS his phone rang. They answered and it was his son looking for his dad.

Could all have been avoided if the motorcyclist rode within the speed limit and not trying to race that bend. I often see motorbikes on that stretch heading to Hoogekraal or Contermans to ride.

image.png.1b086aeea2229defa6242470dd29c6a6.png

1 hour ago, Robbie Stewart said:

Well. not exactly

image.png.87835ee4d7767fd08082be01386c407e.png

when I finished that post, I knew there would be some wiseguy. but then I thought instead of editing it i'm happy for people to go look through it. the pin is actually on the hoerikwaggo hiking trail.

If you read my full post, I was referring to safety issues with cars/collisions.

Someone riding off the road is probably their own user error. Cars have driven off there too, should we advise them against using it?!

57 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

One Sunday afternoon heading to Contermanskloof for a ride, I came across a guy lying under the armco barriers indicated at (1) below. His Honda CBR600 was lying on its side by the entrance (2) . I made the call to first responders, waited for them to arrive and watched them declare him deceased. He passed while we (myself and two other people) were waiting. While the medics were waiting for SAPS his phone rang. They answered and it was his son looking for his dad.

Could all have been avoided if the motorcyclist rode within the speed limit and not trying to race that bend. I often see motorbikes on that stretch heading to Hoogekraal or Contermans to ride.

image.png.1b086aeea2229defa6242470dd29c6a6.png

That is such a nice road to ride on a bike, except for loose gravel in places. Always ride well within the speed limit here especially for the gravel, sand and other debris from the local quarries to be found here..

3 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

Kalk bay to Simon’s town is an horrendous stretch of road. One has to be on the lookout for pedestrians, dogs, car guards, vagrants , car doors , cars pulling out in the flow without due care and observation, buses taxis , trucks, and all of this before some Swedish exchange student tries to kill you with her awesome looks!! That stretch of road needs warning signs. I use it as a warm up stretch and do intervals on red hill which tends to be quieter than other roads for obvious reasons. 
Cape Town suffers from over population and popularity. An influx of wealthy foreigners “working from home “ , frustrated locals and a lack of space. 
muizenberg line up had circa 250 surfers in the water at 6:30am…

everyone just needs to be lekker and get a stash of Jewies herbal remedy for anxiety 😂

I love geography and looking at how cities expand and are trapped. I honestly believe CT is well on it's way to following LA and San Francisco in housing crisis. It will be an interesting one to watch in the next few years as demand increases and the city has limited direction to grow due to various factors.

25 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

when I finished that post, I knew there would be some wiseguy. but then I thought instead of editing it i'm happy for people to go look through it. the pin is actually on the hoerikwaggo hiking trail.

If you read my full post, I was referring to safety issues with cars/collisions.

Someone riding off the road is probably their own user error. Cars have driven off there too, should we advise them against using it?!

I should have inserted comic sans. I support your view.

Also, that graph is outdated now, seeing as there is now really one event. I'm being facetious. Sorrie.

Are we as South Africans so accepting of the state of law enforcement (lack of enforcement) that it's just easier to point fingers at other road users and hope for behavioural changes. There are hardly any consequences to any road users action. (bicycle, motorbike, car, bus, truck)

As an example I saw a speed camera on Sunday morning coming down Suikerbossie into Hout Bay. And the traffic vehicle was "hidden" in Mount Rhodes Drive. Firstly, these camera do nothing for behaviour modification. If someone speeding drives past and doesn't see it, they continue driving as before. And I assume the cameras are worthless for motorbikes as they only get front number plates. And you're lucky if these fines ever get posted. So instead on deploying an officer to activity monitor the road, someone has decided to rather stick a camera up.

I assume there isn't an entity putting pressure on local government to get these things right. Does anyone know how many 1m passing rule fines have been issued ever? How many fines for rides not riding single fine? When was the last time any one actually pulled over for speeding while speeding?

This motorbike incident has been something waiting to happen. Nobody is going change if there are no consequence to their action. If anything surly it'll only get worse?

I assume the Traffic Department is run by the Local Government? Where is Local Government?

Edited by DuncanCT

2 hours ago, ChrisF said:

Aaaaaaiiiii toggie ....  

ZERO comprehension of what I typed !

Not to mention mis-quoting me ....

But so typical of "social media" .....  MOST post are "shot from the hip", knee jerk reactions at best, with little to no comprehension of what is replied to.

Wishing you well out on the bike 👍

1.) I think you need to google the Dunning Kruger effect and internalise that first wrt your riding skills and abilities. Maybe your abilities as an orator and on social media 

2.) Diminishing other peoples posts is in effect a tactic to belittle them. You need to cite evidence more than opinions. If you posts are misconstrued then it may be you need to point out ther failings as you may have a valid point. Right now i am lost to what you believe your point is you say we missed, as are I think others.

1 hour ago, DuncanCT said:

Are we as South Africans so accepting of the state of law enforcement (lack of enforcement) that it's just easier to point fingers at other road users and hope for behavioural changes. There are hardly any consequences to any road users action. (bicycle, motorbike, car, bus, truck)

As an example I saw a speed camera on Sunday morning coming down Suikerbossie into Hout Bay. And the traffic vehicle was "hidden" in Mount Rhodes Drive. Firstly, these camera do nothing for behaviour modification. If someone speeding drives past and doesn't see it, they continue driving as before. And I assume the cameras are worthless for motorbikes as they only get front number plates. And you're lucky if these fines ever get posted. So instead on deploying an officer to activity monitor the road, someone has decided to rather stick a camera up.

I assume there isn't an entity putting pressure on local government to get these things right. Does anyone know how many 1m passing rule fines have been issued ever? How many fines for rides not riding single fine? When was the last time any one actually pulled over for speeding while speeding?

This motorbike incident has been something waiting to happen. Nobody is going change if there are no consequence to their action. If anything surly it'll only get worse?

I assume the Traffic Department is run by the Local Government? Where is Local Government?

Paging @andretraut - maybe you've got some input here?

3 hours ago, Paul Ruinaard said:

1.) I think you need to google the Dunning Kruger effect and internalise that first wrt your riding skills and abilities. Maybe your abilities as an orator and on social media 

2.) Diminishing other peoples posts is in effect a tactic to belittle them. You need to cite evidence more than opinions. If you posts are misconstrued then it may be you need to point out ther failings as you may have a valid point. Right now i am lost to what you believe your point is you say we missed, as are I think others.

Still typing WAY past each other .....

This is not adding any positive value to this thread, so I am logging out on this one.

Stay safe out there and may you enjoy your CTCT (or which ever event you do next)