Spy007

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 6/17/2021 at 3:02 PM, ouzo said:

I'm going to disagree with you on this.

How do you pass other people riding slower than you ? you would also then need to go into the road.

The yellow lane is an emergency lane that just happened to be turned into a cycle lane, I'm certainly not going to fix my puncture on the grass next to the road, but I'll also make sure I'm not taking up the entire lane if possible.

I agree. 

16 hours ago, ACE Cycles said:

What can I do to stop the runners from invading the Cradle? 

Make some of these and put them up on the route?png-transparent-cycling-bicycle-pedestrian-traffic-sign-road-cycling-blue-text-bicycle.png.93d0e3af31982da3b1a7edada7c184cc.png

19 hours ago, Paul Ruinaard said:

I agree with you. I ride there almost every weekend and coming from the Fourways side i am a bit wary of the roadworks so i park at one of the coffee shops or locations in the cradle to avoid the roadworks/choke points, but used to ride in from home down Cedar.  Normally on the bike by 6:30 am or 7 if its a Sunday (sleep in) so i am out there pretty early and often.

And it's simple. Its a sh*t show. I am amazed there aren't more dead people and road rage incidents.

THis Saturday the guy on the narrow roadworks section who took over the middle of the road intentionally on the Northern timber climb. Black kit, fancy bike at about 6:15 am. Rode uphill at 9 kmh with him and his mate talking to each other intentionally blocking the traffic including the taxis. Taxis who are not really that tolerant. Taxis who are also ferrying 16 to 20 people to work or are going to collect another load at Diepsloot. 

You sir are an entitled twat.

There are always so many more, lots of noobs who i am willing to forgive as well -  they are really starting out. But it is the guys in the know that P!SS me off. Like i am in a 2 ton bakkie and am about to get so freaking frustrated that i am willing to turn them in to bonnet ornaments. Imagine how the average person feels who doesn't ride a bicycle.

I can tell you - they actively hate you. I can't tell you how often i have been intentionally buzzed by motorists out there.

I then see the **** that happened on Bowling Avenue and people wonder how we got there. I can tell you. Go and drive around the cradle on a Saturday morning as a motorist.

Its really just a recipe for conflict and in normal Jhb/Saffer style the F$ck you option is the first response of everyone in the conflict  - not the "tolerate and accommodate, think of others etc"

So sad - doesn't have to be like this.

So the man that lost his life to a drunk taxi driver speeding is due to other cyclists? Go have a word with yourself. 

Couldn't agree more with a previous poster that you really get to see how scheit cyclists are when you're in a car for a change. For that reason I won't drive the Avianto road on a weekend as you get sworn at by riders taking up half the lane with no cycle lane.

In the rest of the Cradle too many cyclists ride 4 abreast as if the cycle lane extends to half way across the car lane. Its also getting dangerous to pass some slow (possibly newbies) who ride into the car lane and pay no attention to whats coming from behind. When I drive into the Cradle and come up behind a Cyclelab bunch I cringe because I know its going to be tough to pass and they just don't give a **** about sharing the space.

EVERY cyclist should have to drive a couple of laps in their car on a weekend to see what cyclists are getting up to. Why is it that when we get out of our cars and onto a bike we forget how to behave and become so entitled?

The cradle crowd control debate is so tiring, I just stopped going. Plenty trails, nicely maintained, with few hikers, and no cars. 

Too much mental work. 

I usually try to avoid the cradle just before any big race (947, CTCT, Shova and even Comrades). But now living far away it has been quite a while since I have been there. I also realized it teaches cyclist to not be aware of their suroundings because it is considered "safe". After a few rides with my wife  (new to cycling) through the suburbs, she has gotten much better at looking around and thinking for other road users, much better than after just rides in the cradle. 

So in theory it should be a safe place to cycle, but this robs people of the skills they will need for the rest of the roads. 

21 hours ago, Eldron said:

Make some of these and put them up on the route?png-transparent-cycling-bicycle-pedestrian-traffic-sign-road-cycling-blue-text-bicycle.png.93d0e3af31982da3b1a7edada7c184cc.png

Yes, signs, like stop signs, red traffic lights and the speed sign are all very effective in SA.

I try and follow the DBADwis- JBLekker philosophy. 

If the rest of the world followed suit, it would be much better.

1 minute ago, RocknRolla said:

Yes, signs, like stop signs, red traffic lights and the speed sign are all very effective in SA.

I try and follow the DBADwis- JBLekker philosophy. 

If the rest of the world followed suit, it would be much better.

Have you noticed the trend on this thread? Everybody here follows the rules and is a good citizen - it is everyone else that is the problem.

Crazy huh? That all the decent people would gather together on 1 specific site.

20 hours ago, love2fly said:

Couldn't agree more with a previous poster that you really get to see how scheit cyclists are when you're in a car for a change. For that reason I won't drive the Avianto road on a weekend as you get sworn at by riders taking up half the lane with no cycle lane.

In the rest of the Cradle too many cyclists ride 4 abreast as if the cycle lane extends to half way across the car lane. Its also getting dangerous to pass some slow (possibly newbies) who ride into the car lane and pay no attention to whats coming from behind. When I drive into the Cradle and come up behind a Cyclelab bunch I cringe because I know its going to be tough to pass and they just don't give a **** about sharing the space.

EVERY cyclist should have to drive a couple of laps in their car on a weekend to see what cyclists are getting up to. Why is it that when we get out of our cars and onto a bike we forget how to behave and become so entitled?

Couldn't agree less with previous poster that you really see how schiet motorist are when you are on the bike for a change. 

When I do drive my car, I pass the cyclists in the road like I would any other slow moving vehicle in the road. 

Every motorist should have to cycle a few laps and feel what its like being passed by a car and truck at 10cm gap. Why is it that when we get off our bikes and into our cars we become in a hurry and nobody else matters?

6 minutes ago, Pure Savage said:

Couldn't agree less with previous poster that you really see how schiet motorist are when you are on the bike for a change. 

When I do drive my car, I pass the cyclists in the road like I would any other slow moving vehicle in the road. 

Every motorist should have to cycle a few laps and feel what its like being passed by a car and truck at 10cm gap. Why is it that when we get off our bikes and into our cars we become in a hurry and nobody else matters?

Interesting concept but I only experience a close shave with a vehicle/truck on the very rare occasion (ok I don't ride the suburbs - that's just asking for trouble) but take a drive around the Cradle and cyclists 3 and 4 abreast outside of the cycle lane and no regard to passing traffic will be far more than the "rare" occasion.

3 minutes ago, love2fly said:

Interesting concept but I only experience a close shave with a vehicle/truck on the very rare occasion (ok I don't ride the suburbs - that's just asking for trouble) but take a drive around the Cradle and cyclists 3 and 4 abreast outside of the cycle lane and no regard to passing traffic will be far more than the "rare" occasion.

It is interesting. Everyone is out there trying not to die, if riding 3 or 4 abreast forces the driver behind to engage their brains to pass the cyclists, then the cyclists would be safer. Obviously unless the group is massive there is no need to ride 6 or 7 abreast. 

20 minutes ago, Pure Savage said:

And I saw something similar from another country. All license holders to experience this. 

14 minutes ago, love2fly said:

^^ this. Reminds me of someone saying you should treat a tractor up the road as a stop sign.

Edited by peetwindhoek