Jump to content

Cradle loop and a bit of a rant - share the road


Spy007
 Share

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, ouzo said:

I'm going to disagree with you on this.

How do you pass other people riding slower than you ? you would also then need to go into the road.

The yellow lane is an emergency lane that just happened to be turned into a cycle lane, I'm certainly not going to fix my puncture on the grass next to the road, but I'll also make sure I'm not taking up the entire lane if possible.

Incorrect. When the Kromdraai road was tarred it was narrower than present and there were no cycling lanes. The lanes were added afterwards, with the yellow lines - not as an emergency lane, rather lanes specifically created for cyclists TO CYCLE IN!!! Not a place to kuier with chommas while one fixes a tyre. If you have a flat on Cedar, you don't fix it in the left lane, you GET OFF THE ROAD. I get miffed if okes are parking off in the CYCLING LANE (no it's it the car emergency lane), and I have to turn my head and look behind me to pass the muppets in the main road to avoid getting rear ended by a car. My rant FWIW

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, OVERDRIVE said:

OP sorry your family had a bad day. A bit touched your little one had to see morons in full swing, but hopefully he took the lessons not to behave in such a barbaric manner. 

Happy miles and smiles. 

Lol thanks not the first time and not the last time. But with the long distance on the gravel bike i must be honest. South No go. I prefer the roads out to harties, magalies potch etc and some are norrow but never had any issues. Trucks cars or taxis. they make space and you say thank you. even out randfontein side no issues. I have had less close calls on the outside of the cradle than on the inside. The road to Swartruggens is a bit sus and not a rant but observation. The (i wont mention names to not offend) group with a small support car also took up the whole road  and there are no yellow lines or even a verge and them tar bits are narrow.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, buckstopper said:

Incorrect. When the Kromdraai road was tarred it was narrower than present and there were no cycling lanes. The lanes were added afterwards, with the yellow lines - not as an emergency lane, rather lanes specifically created for cyclists TO CYCLE IN!!! Not a place to kuier with chommas while one fixes a tyre. If you have a flat on Cedar, you don't fix it in the left lane, you GET OFF THE ROAD. I get miffed if okes are parking off in the CYCLING LANE (no it's it the car emergency lane), and I have to turn my head and look behind me to pass the muppets in the main road to avoid getting rear ended by a car. My rant FWIW

If its got a yellow line then it is by definition an emergency lane. What you going to do if a car stops to change a flat there ? How do you pass a slower rider ?

As long as the muppets are not taking over the entire lane I dont see a problem. Its not like there is a ton of traffic out there and its not like they are not aware of the gajillion cyclists around taking up the entire road. dont be a muppet, forget about your Strava segment, take the second or 2 to check behind you and even slow down a little if needed and then pass.

Whats wrong, are you scared of wearing out your headset bearing by turning to often?

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Spy007 said:

 

As my wife left us and proceeded down with the car she encountered the same group after the circle, again taking up all available left hand lane and leaving no space to pass. If you want to shout at her for hooting to pass,

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I imagine she could simply wait until it is safe to complete a proper overtaking manoeuvre, as stipulated in the road traffic act?

 

Does she hoot at slow moving trucks to also get out of the way?

 

As you rightly suggest two wrongs don't make a right, maybe another throwaway line is apt for you, charity starts at home?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, ouzo said:

If its got a yellow line then it is by definition an emergency lane. What you going to do if a car stops to change a flat there ? How do you pass a slower rider ?

As long as the muppets are not taking over the entire lane I dont see a problem. Its not like there is a ton of traffic out there and its not like they are not aware of the gajillion cyclists around taking up the entire road. dont be a muppet, forget about your Strava segment, take the second or 2 to check behind you and even slow down a little if needed and then pass.

Whats wrong, are you scared of wearing out your headset bearing by turning to often?

 

 

You're either part of the problem or part of the solution, pick one

Edited by buckstopper
Typo
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Spy007 said:

Lol thanks not the first time and not the last time. But with the long distance on the gravel bike i must be honest. South No go. I prefer the roads out to harties, magalies potch etc and some are norrow but never had any issues. Trucks cars or taxis. they make space and you say thank you. even out randfontein side no issues. I have had less close calls on the outside of the cradle than on the inside. The road to Swartruggens is a bit sus and not a rant but observation. The (i wont mention names to not offend) group with a small support car also took up the whole road  and there are no yellow lines or even a verge and them tar bits are narrow.

 

 

"Even out Randfontein side"...
What are you saying here? 
Lol...
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Mojoman said:

"Even out Randfontein side"...
What are you saying here? 
Lol...
 

Lol that there are some great routes that side with randmark and some great groups :) i am close enough to not need a pssport

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Spy007 said:

Lol that there are some great routes that side with randmark and some great groups :) i am close enough to not need a pssport

Best to carry the passport though....impromptu border controls to keep the 'smarties' out can occur at any time on the West Rand....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, buckstopper said:

You're either part of the problem or part of the solution, pick one

exactly the attitude that results in animosity to cyclists

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Mojoman said:

Best to carry the passport though....impromptu border controls to keep the 'smarties' out can occur at any time on the West Rand....

Us woesrand guys are loved everywhere :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Rode there today...was enjoyable as usual. 

I must say however that there are some of us that have complete disregard for one another. Twice cyclists in front of me felt its perfectly fine to blow snot rockets. We are in the midst of a 3rd wave ppl and its our responsibility to keep one another safe. Whilst you may be feeling fine...you could be asymptomatic, give Covid to me and I may pass it on to your parent/loved one.

Its winter and some of us do get snotty, but carrying a simple handkerchief could save lives....that together with common sense!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Cyclelab groups have been an entitled problem for years. They are in general, arrogant and behave like the cycling lane and at least half the vehicle lane are for their use exclusively- so that they can chat to the rider adjacent 3, 4 and 5 abreast. On the other hand I think it's Club 100.....they also seem to have the odd vehicle, tend to keep it real so do many of the other but smaller groups like Northclif Cycles and the tri guys. The Cyclelab brand - in my opinion anyway, has always been elitist and they don't give a ****!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/17/2021 at 3:07 PM, agilwolf said:

Good luck getting any form of cooperation from Cycle Lab that results in all parties walking away from the discussions with workable solutions.

 

I am aware of a situation where a lady attempted to take up the matter of bad behavior of riders in the groups, where riders swore and shouted at children and other road users, with Andrew and another person who's name I don't remember.  Emails were sent back and forth, and a face to face meeting was had.  In the end Cycle Lab refuses to take any responsibility for the behavior of the riders in the groups and pushed all blame onto the other parties.

 

 

I know of one instance where said Andrew came up behind a family member of mine on the MTB trail and rather than wait till she could let him pass, had to rang his bell....not even in a race Nogal. It starts and ends with Cyclelab.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/17/2021 at 3:02 PM, ouzo said:

I'm going to disagree with you on this.

How do you pass other people riding slower than you ? you would also then need to go into the road.

The yellow lane is an emergency lane that just happened to be turned into a cycle lane, I'm certainly not going to fix my puncture on the grass next to the road, but I'll also make sure I'm not taking up the entire lane if possible.

i always fix my punctures on the grass next to the road.  It not just logical but also safer for me and those riding in the yellow lane. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

My Profile My Forum Content My Followed Content Forum Settings Ad Messages My Ads My Favourites My Saved Alerts My Pay Deals Settings Help Logout