Cradle loop and a bit of a rant - share the road

Spy007

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, Pure Savage said:

It is interesting. Everyone is out there trying not to die, if riding 3 or 4 abreast forces the driver behind to engage their brains to pass the cyclists, then the cyclists would be safer. Obviously unless the group is massive there is no need to ride 6 or 7 abreast. 

which is why I mentioned that the courtesy needs to come from both sides.

The big issue in the cradle is that the cycle lanes were not added onto the road, they simply took part of the road and painted a lane. These roads are already narrow, so now youve made them more narrow by adding lanes on either side, added groups of cyclists on both sides and 2 way vehicle traffic. So even a cyclist in a car expecting the worst circumstances needs alot of wooosa to navigate the area. Its probably more the unpredictability of the cyclists though rather than just them taking up the space.

You mention treating cyclists like other slow road users, but "mostly" the other slow road users check behind them before moving over or turning etc.

I'm not sure what the solution is, I'd like to say education/awareness for both motorists and cyclists, but we all know it wont get through to the right people.

Its a pity, other than being flippen far way, the cradle is a lekker place to ride. Great views, undulating rollers and not a heck of alot of traffic.

Just wish everyone would just be lekker.

1 minute ago, DuncanDoughnuts said:

As a property owner in the cradle, there has been discussion amongst the land owners of putting up controlled access to the area because of how the road cyclist take over the roads and litter the environment with spare tubes and spent gel packets.

You are going to lose your mind when you find out what cars do!!

I have only seen a cyclists throw out a full McD's family meal from his bike once..

4 minutes ago, Pure Savage said:

You are going to lose your mind when you find out what cars do!!

I have only seen a cyclists throw out a full McD's family meal from his bike once..

Agreed ... wont just be for cyclists. 

5 minutes ago, DuncanDoughnuts said:

Cause don't want to give the game away ... big things happening. 

For those that missed the Redacted post it was to the effect that land owners have discussed ways of controlling access to road cyclists...I'm perplexed...so that cat has left the bag.

Here's a fun hypothetical question.

If there was a group of runners in the cycle lane on the cradle jogging along at 12kph covering the full lane would you as a cyclist follow the same protocol that we're asking motorists to follow? Stay behind them at 12kph until it was safe to overtake?

4 minutes ago, love2fly said:

For those that missed the Redacted post it was to the effect that land owners have discussed ways of controlling access to road cyclists...I'm perplexed...so that cat has left the bag.

its an interesting one to follow. Some land owners hating the cyclists, others have embraced them and are making an income from the cyclists.

4 minutes ago, Eldron said:

Here's a fun hypothetical question.

If there was a group of runners in the cycle lane on the cradle jogging along at 12kph covering the full lane would you as a cyclist follow the same protocol that we're asking motorists to follow? Stay behind them at 12kph until it was safe to overtake?

Its not hypothetical, when I get stuck behind cars in grid lock traffic, I wait till its safe to pass and ride on past them listening to taylor swift enjoying life. Not that hard.

5 minutes ago, love2fly said:

Public roads. Does there need to be another reason why this is a pipe dream? (And I'm a property owner in the Cradle area!)

8 minutes ago, love2fly said:

Not just road cyclists ... but they the ones that started the land owners on this path

Just now, Fat Boab said:

Public roads. Does there need to be another reason why this is a pipe dream? (And I'm a property owner in the Cradle area!)

Smoking a pipe maybe?

1 minute ago, DuncanDoughnuts said:

Not just road cyclists ... but they the ones that started the land owners on this path

Well in Cape Town, we have lodged a land claim on Chapmans Peak Drive. Its now called Pure Savage National Park on Google maps. 

We will be taking over the management of the toll gates from Etekelini and there will be no cars allowed in Pure Savage national Park on Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday between 6am and 8am. 

People with custom number plates may a x3 surcharge. 

We will have a person at the look out point to take photos for you as well.