Cradle loop and a bit of a rant - share the road

Spy007

6 minutes ago, Eldron said:

Here's a fun hypothetical question.

If there was a group of runners in the cycle lane on the cradle jogging along at 12kph covering the full lane would you as a cyclist follow the same protocol that we're asking motorists to follow? Stay behind them at 12kph until it was safe to overtake?

Tangential comment...I used to be a member of a Facebook Cradle runners and cyclists group. One day, much mud-slinging from cyclists who had to move out for runners and felt at risk from car traffic. I asked, why not check the road behind you before pulling out? Answers...it's too difficult, we're not TdF riders etc. I suggested some car park drills before they tried to improve their fitness...and left the group! 

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, Pure Savage said:

Well in Cape Town, we have lodged a land claim on Chapmans Peak Drive. Its now called Pure Savage National Park on Google maps. 

We will be taking over the management of the toll gates from Etekelini and there will be no cars allowed in Pure Savage national Park on Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday between 6am and 8am. 

People with custom number plates may a x3 surcharge. 

We will have a person at the look out point to take photos for you as well.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Pure+Savage+National+Park/@-34.0856434,18.3534631,17z/data=!4m7!3m6!1s0x1dcc6be63b8358fd:0x9fa4d497ae6964b2!8m2!3d-34.0856479!4d18.3556518!9m1!1b1

:D

1 hour ago, Fat Boab said:

Tangential comment...I used to be a member of a Facebook Cradle runners and cyclists group. One day, much mud-slinging from cyclists who had to move out for runners and felt at risk from car traffic. I asked, why not check the road behind you before pulling out? Answers...it's too difficult, we're not TdF riders etc. I suggested some car park drills before they tried to improve their fitness...and left the group! 

stirring a bit ....

when will people realise that MOMMY decides what happens .... mommy gets stuck in "runner/cyclist traffic" once too often, daddy magically (has to) maak a plan .....

Dont piss off the land owner.  And especially, DONT piss off his wife !! 

A bit unrelated, A farmer in the cederberg managed to get a public road thru his property closed due to motorcyclists misbehaving. If the land owners are proposing to get the road closed/access control whatever. It is possible.

1 hour ago, love2fly said:

For those that missed the Redacted post it was to the effect that land owners have discussed ways of controlling access to road cyclists...I'm perplexed...so that cat has left the bag.

Cradle is actually a really nice place to ride. I love my weekend rides there TBH and have no desire to ride elsewhere as it doesn't compare in terms of safety and challenge. Its safe from the point of view of limited to no muggings as well. It's just busy.

TBH I am not sure why a more entrepreneurial approach hasn't built up from the landowners and the potential to turn it in to a world class establishment been taken. Charge nominal access fee every weekend and use the money to build out trails, access etc like the Al Qudra Cycle Track in Dubai. ANd BTW if you have ever seen that then you will know for sheer challenge and beauty Cradle kicks its arse. Given the way that this was used bya. Dubai Sheikh to attract people to Dubai and live a healthy lifestyle again the right approach could replicate his model and add value to the area for cyclist, runners MTBers trail runners Triathletes etc.

Theres gold in them thar hills if you really want it.

Actually there's real gold mines in there - Kromdraai mine pre-dates the discovery of gold in Jhb. theres a truck load of history in the area outside of the caves etc as well. 

I know of a number of Capetonians who have come and ridden Cradle and are amazed because there is nothing like it in CTN. In fact there's very few places like it.

On 6/17/2021 at 3:04 PM, MORNE said:

maybe it's like Jewey mentioned in anther thread....it's now considered the norm in SA if you want to look "pro" to have all the gear ...now including a support car it seems haha.

People are using support cars as safety back ups due to the rising crime on cyclists & their beloved machines 

1 minute ago, MVDP fan said:

People are using support cars as safety back ups due to the rising crime on cyclists & their beloved machines 

When last was there an actual mugging incident in the cradle. See  it's not unsafe in the cradle firstly. I know of the kromdraai incident but on a Saturday morning on the core routes there are thousands of people.  Secondly riding with a support car, as has been pointed out, tends to build bad habits and make people do stupid things and not be savvy - it makes for unaware cyclists and thirdly it's so freaking inconvenient for everyone other than the supported group and it puts everyone in danger.. Most people driving them are clueless .

The only people who should be allowed to use them are big clubs and even then they should be limited to support motorbikes.

If you puncture or need repairs a bike can stop and help you. If you need to go home you uber.

That way you quickly become self sufficient

#justsaying #gatvolofsupportcars  #passionateaboutthissubject

19 minutes ago, Paul Ruinaard said:

When last was there an actual mugging incident in the cradle. See  it's not unsafe in the cradle firstly. I know of the kromdraai incident but on a Saturday morning on the core routes there are thousands of people.  Secondly riding with a support car, as has been pointed out, tends to build bad habits and make people do stupid things and not be savvy - it makes for unaware cyclists and thirdly it's so freaking inconvenient for everyone other than the supported group and it puts everyone in danger.. Most people driving them are clueless .

The only people who should be allowed to use them are big clubs and even then they should be limited to support motorbikes.

If you puncture or need repairs a bike can stop and help you. If you need to go home you uber.

Please send the support cars to the Cape!!

I could do with some protection in Ocean View and into Hout Bay

3 minutes ago, Pure Savage said:

Please send the support cars to the Cape!!

I could do with some protection in Ocean View and into Hout Bay

you have support cars, you just need to teach the driver of the support polo to drive behind you and not into you. :)

low blow... sorry

I really do not see the point of a support car in the cradle. There are two places where these cars can park and can be on the scene within 5 minutes if you just ride within the cradle boundary. The first car can be parked on the Lion/Rhino Park circle coverring the roads to the caves as well as the road part Rhino/Lion Park. The second car can be parked @Bidon coverring the road leading to Beyers Naude as well as the road going towards Avianto. The parts on Beyers Naude can be mix between car1 and car2 depending on the location.

When riding in the cradle with your car on a weekend just relax, smile and wave. Getting all worked up is not worth it. I do have this attitude when leaving the cradle after riding. If there are big bunches in front of me taking up the whole road I will wait untill it is safe to pass.

38 minutes ago, Paul Ruinaard said:

Last Sunday 24 October 2021 https://bikehub.co.za/stolen-bikes/1858/merida-reacto-4000-2020.  It happens, so if people want to feel safer with support cars so be it and live with it as it is an inconvenience for a second or two until you can pass safely.  

Maybe I'll get my pal to ride his KTM 450 Eduro on the single track to support our mtb mob. 

Yeah, that'll work