Karoo to Coast

2 hours ago, FondTF2 said:

Feel for the organisers as well for the uptown folk that have already made their way down or were planning on leaving today. 

Not in the organisers hands, call made by disaster management.

Similar issue at Around the Pot this year.

I'm conflicted with my opinion as I don't know the actual info they used to make this call, which uses a forecast. I do know that it is braai day long weekend with a HUGE bok rugby game.b emergency services are stretched already without a drop of rain falling.

For those who are there/going there. Don't cancel your weekend. Garden route is a lekker playground so go make some lemonade

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, dirtypot said:

There is no refund policy if the event is cancelled for weather or safety. It's in their T's & C's.  So we can kiss that entry fee goodbye.

08fd6106-5f02-49e5-a0d2-8759f2c780e1.jpeg

How to make a million without doing much. That is the new name for this race. 2012 we rode epic in conditions that Columbus would have been too scared to do. What is this world coming to. 

7 minutes ago, Lynskey said:

How to make a million without doing much. That is the new name for this race. 2012 we rode epic in conditions that Columbus would have been too scared to do. What is this world coming to. 

So that's what ignorance sounds like.

Organizers cancel 2 days before a race and you assume nothing much has been done? Really?

29 minutes ago, Lynskey said:

Cancelling is definitely the last thing the Lions clubs would have wanted.

Have to wonder though, with this kind of thing seemingly becoming a more regular occurrence, that disaster management can simply say NOPE two days before the event the organiser has been preparing for for months, and damage to reputation because (some) vocal participants blame the organiser and questioning their motives, are some organisers simply going to exit the game? Seems pretty thankless, especially in the case of a charity organisation that exists for the purpose of helping others.

Edit: No offense meant to anyone, of course. I would have preferred to ride on Sunday as well. But my conversation a week or so ago with one of the Lions members here, didn't exactly give me "skelm" vibes, they are super proud of their event.

Edited by HdB

34 minutes ago, Lynskey said:

All the costs the organizers incurred don’t simply just go away. It’s unfortunate but there’s always risk with the weather. That’s why people tend to enter as late as possible because their is no protection for the buyer.

I mentioned this in another thread but the only way around this is insurance on events. Pay an additional R50 bucks or whatever for some insurance. Then at least we are somewhat protected. Unfortunately, I don’t think we have insurance for events and stuff like this. But this was my experience in another country having lived overseas for 5 years.

image.png.0eba0bdb8b1fa085fc121c35a15fa038.png

Knysna's weather for Sunday. Frustrating but looks like the right decision. Imagine the race organisers trying to host an event and ensure safety for all in those conditions!

1 hour ago, Lynskey said:

Congratulations on being a tough guy. On being knowledgeable not so much. 

As far as the organisers, towns, businesses, charities and disappointed participants are concerned everybody loses massively.

The call to cancel was made by the George Municipality Disaster Management. The reason being that they carry the accountability and responsibility if something bad happens. Disaster management plans is a big hurdle the organisers must clear in any race.

Now to understand accountability and responsibility  my question to you is:

If you in your personal capacity is the person that will decide the race must go ahead, will you Lynskey, in your personal capacity, be responsible and accountable for any deaths, injuries, costs incurred in rescue or any claims arising?

It seems that the organisers of the events are learning and getting a lot more conservatice in terms of cancellation and focusing on safety. Theres nothing stoping the hard guys going and riding the route anyway, so if its your bundle feel free. As any cyclist is slightly crazy and has to enjoy pain as a way to go faster, there are always the people who feel that harder and tougher is a test of strength and measurement of their male genitalia. But TBH the chances of there being cold wet people hypothermic at the back of the pack is high and then its up to the emergency services to rescue them - organisers know this. Simply put those that run away live to fight another day.

I have to respect the organisers decision looking at the forecasts as well. 

1 hour ago, TIB said:

Congratulations on being a tough guy. On being knowledgeable not so much. 

As far as the organisers, towns, businesses, charities and disappointed participants are concerned everybody loses massively.

The call to cancel was made by the George Municipality Disaster Management. The reason being that they carry the accountability and responsibility if something bad happens. Disaster management plans is a big hurdle the organisers must clear in any race.

Now to understand accountability and responsibility  my question to you is:

If you in your personal capacity is the person that will decide the race must go ahead, will you Lynskey, in your personal capacity, be responsible and accountable for any deaths, injuries, costs incurred in rescue or any claims arising?

Do the participants not sign a waiver when entering? If paying participants want to go ahead then that should be allowed. Races are getting softer. The race organisers are in touch with disaster management. Calling it off in my opinion is a mistake. Not a tough guy story. Just let me take the risk I signed up for. I am sitting in Knysna right now. They are pulling down the bridge and all the tents where the end takes place. I don't see the point. I am not a tough guy as some people seem to have thought. But allow the paying entrant to decide. If you want to stay in bed let them. If you want to ride it let them. Why not? Because of some rain? Well blow me over with a feather. This world is changing for the worst. I heard there may be a slight wind tomorrow. Y'all who are shooting me down betting get under your duvets and get the hot chocolate out. Put on some Kenny G.

24 minutes ago, Lynskey said:

Do the participants not sign a waiver when entering? If paying participants want to go ahead then that should be allowed. Races are getting softer. The race organisers are in touch with disaster management. Calling it off in my opinion is a mistake. Not a tough guy story. Just let me take the risk I signed up for. I am sitting in Knysna right now. They are pulling down the bridge and all the tents where the end takes place. I don't see the point. I am not a tough guy as some people seem to have thought. But allow the paying entrant to decide. If you want to stay in bed let them. If you want to ride it let them. Why not? Because of some rain? Well blow me over with a feather. This world is changing for the worst. I heard there may be a slight wind tomorrow. Y'all who are shooting me down betting get under your duvets and get the hot chocolate out. Put on some Kenny G.

You clearly have no idea how events work.

When I did the Ronde Van Riebeeck earlier in the year, we had a 2 hour delay because there was not enough ambulances available. Just because you are okay to take a risk does not change anything. There are protocols to be followed and unfortunately if the emergency services are not available then that’s that. There is nothing the organisers can do.

If you want to take the risk then do the route on your own but you can’t expect to still do it under the K2C umbrella. They will be liable for everything. But there is no stopping you from doing it on your own. However if you crash, then there is no emergency services around. So you will suffer on your own.

2 hours ago, Lynskey said:

Ignorance is bliss.

No point in trying to explain to you how risk assessments for these types of events work, and the actual consequences if something goes wrong.  

100% correct decision. No doubt lessons learned from 2019 was also factored in.  

Will be back in 2024. 

2 hours ago, Lynskey said:

Do the participants not sign a waiver when entering? If paying participants want to go ahead then that should be allowed. Races are getting softer. The race organisers are in touch with disaster management. Calling it off in my opinion is a mistake. Not a tough guy story. Just let me take the risk I signed up for. I am sitting in Knysna right now. They are pulling down the bridge and all the tents where the end takes place. I don't see the point. I am not a tough guy as some people seem to have thought. But allow the paying entrant to decide. If you want to stay in bed let them. If you want to ride it let them. Why not? Because of some rain? Well blow me over with a feather. This world is changing for the worst. I heard there may be a slight wind tomorrow. Y'all who are shooting me down betting get under your duvets and get the hot chocolate out. Put on some Kenny G

" Put on some Kenny G " Even better the latest Rolling  Stones song "Don't get angry with me"

3 hours ago, Lynskey said:

Okay, let's sip our coffee at the table in Villiersdorp and discuss the REALITIES of organising an event.

1. Lions (insert any other organisers name) spends countless family hours putting an event together .... LOTS of co-operations from residents and farmers along the route.

2. Hosting an event is subject to BY-LAWS.

3. The "Local Authority" carries the final responsibility, irrespective of any waiver.

4. The "Local Authority" has to ENSURE that all parts of the route is fully accessible to emergency services !  (they are in for a serios hiding if somebody gets hurt and this was not in place)

5.  MOSTLY ... The Local Authority HAS TO ensure that their emergency services are prioritised for the COMMUNITY, especially in the expected weather.

The "organisers" ARE AT THE MERCY OF  the Local Authority !!

It is not, was not, and will never be the "organisers" that cancel. 

Worth noting that the "Local Authority" has MINIMAL appetite for risk !!  The official works to strict checklist.  

I rode 2019 K2C. My wife too - who even back then was a casual rider at most. It was a proper challengein the conditions, but i never felt like we were in danger. But hey, we also camp rough and unsupported. It was just cold and wet….like around the pot last year, like CTCT last year. No doubt the happenings on the beaches in the area had everyone on high alert already. BUT…to the hardcores, man….its K2C, find something else if you want to prove your toughness.
K2C is a watered down mtb version of the Argus, where more than half the people who ride it…have probably never done more than a 50km event. The 6-8s seeders.
Its a plonkers event. Simple as that, and plonkers go home in space blankets in the back of recovery vehicles when the weather is crap. That helped their decision for sure.