Absa Cape Epic 2021 thread

Shebeen

11 hours ago, Foxy_Roxy said:

Also did same. Coached by Pierre Nel. The key is higher intensity. Even on weekends he scheduled 3 hours, but I had to include technical climbs and attack them. I train mainly for XCO, but was able to maintain endurance in the legs even on the “real queen stage” in Wellington. Fatigue only really set in on day 8, but the legs woke up somewhere during that stage. This was my first stage race longer than 2 days. Rode well over 7 hours on some days. As a female rider, on a hardtail, I don’t feel too bad about that.

Well done and congratulations on a strong finish

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, Foxy_Roxy said:

Also did same. Coached by Pierre Nel. The key is higher intensity. Even on weekends he scheduled 3 hours, but I had to include technical climbs and attack them. I train mainly for XCO, but was able to maintain endurance in the legs even on the “real queen stage” in Wellington. Fatigue only really set in on day 8, but the legs woke up somewhere during that stage. This was my first stage race longer than 2 days. Rode well over 7 hours on some days. As a female rider, on a hardtail, I don’t feel too bad about that.

Well done, Congrats on the finish.

Finishing on a hardtail, chapeau!!

10 minutes ago, copperhead said:

While I agree to this being for most people, personally I don't think it is for all. I know you are the coach but my personal feeling is some need to train harder. Our physical ability varies so much from person to person. Look this is just my take on it. In order for one person to get somewhere they will have a completely different schedule to another. Also depends on what the goal is! Some people need 15 hours per week to finish it some need 5. Again just me speaking what I feel.

You will train harder to win. You can train smarter to finish. ????‍♂️

Clearly a lot more to this subject.  And possibly where the "smarter" part comes in ....

A friend was a "keen cyclist", but just having fun.  Ended up winning the mixed teams of the TB with her husband.  After this victory she decided to train towards an Ironman ... as somebody with minimal swimming experience, and an average runner.  The first year her coach worked on a structured program to improve her running and especially the swimming parts.  Over time her program was amended and she completed her first Ironman doing well in all three parts.

Clearly there is no one size fits all approach.  And a proper coach will (should) work with each persons strong and weak points to hone a well rounded athlete.

I reckon I could finish Epic on any bike without a single days 'training'... I ride bikes, I enjoy riding bikes. I've not 'trained' in years. 

Same with running. I could probably run a 100 miler trail run on any day without any hassle, haven't 'trained' a day in years.

Have I run? yes. Have I ridden. Also yes. Have I ever looked at data or followed a plan? Not in a decade. 

In my very humble opinion it also comes down to how long you have consistently been living a certain lifestyle. A small injection of focus and a specific training block will have a far greater impact on 'performance' for someone who has been consistently riding for 20 years, vs someone who has either just started or has ridden 'on and off'. 

So many factors then come into play. DaD has been riding since Noah fell off the Arc. So 10 to 12 hours a week is just topping up years and years and years of hard work and muscle memory.

Where as someone could train to a strict program etc but still be a relative noob 4 years into their cycling journey.

Leaving genetics out of it, I do believe this is very often overlooked

1 hour ago, Jewbacca said:

I reckon I could finish Epic on any bike without a single days 'training'... I ride bikes, I enjoy riding bikes. I've not 'trained' in years. 

Same with running. I could probably run a 100 miler trail run on any day without any hassle, haven't 'trained' a day in years.

Have I run? yes. Have I ridden. Also yes. Have I ever looked at data or followed a plan? Not in a decade. 

In my very humble opinion it also comes down to how long you have consistently been living a certain lifestyle. A small injection of focus and a specific training block will have a far greater impact on 'performance' for someone who has been consistently riding for 20 years, vs someone who has either just started or has ridden 'on and off'. 

So many factors then come into play. DaD has been riding since Noah fell off the Arc. So 10 to 12 hours a week is just topping up years and years and years of hard work and muscle memory.

Where as someone could train to a strict program etc but still be a relative noob 4 years into their cycling journey.

By this exact analogy my brother and I got a 'free' entry in 2011 just a month before the event ... we hadn't been training for it but had been riding our normal 3-4 days a week as we have been like forever (ok since '89)

We took the entry and decided to just aim to finish every day nothing more (no position/speed targets if you will)

I'm not going to lie there were many pretty tough days and lots of f'ing and blinding as my wife calls it but we did finish. As far as bikes go we just serviced what we had, took some consignment bits and bobs from my son in laws bike shop at the time and hoped for the best.

I well remember a spectator saying as I went passed on the prologue 'daai groot ou sal nie klaar maak nie' ... vat so ou!

3 minutes ago, NotSoBigBen said:

By this exact analogy my brother and I got a 'free' entry in 2011 just a month before the event ... we hadn't been training for it but had been riding our normal 3-4 days a week as we have been like forever (ok since '89)

We took the entry and decided to just aim to finish every day nothing more (no position/speed targets if you will)

I'm not going to lie there were many pretty tough days and lots of f'ing and blinding as my wife calls it but we did finish. As far as bikes go we just serviced what we had, took some consignment bits and bobs from my son in laws bike shop at the time and hoped for the best.

I well remember a spectator saying as I went passed on the prologue 'daai groot ou sal nie klaar maak nie' ... vat so ou!

Well done!  Mind over matter ....  if it wasn't for that I would not have finished Comrades 5 times.

5 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

Riding dissimilar styles certainly has a knock on effect over eight days .In our case i had almost no control of our pace as i had to adapt to my partner,s .I tend to be a strong climber and ride bigger gears .Climbing with a high cadence and low gears has never suited me ,but being in the group we were and the amount of single track we rode i had to ride a style that i hate and then i use more effort than when i ride alone .Normally i am a good momentum rider ,using easy sections to gain momentum for the climbs or technical areas .I ride easy sections hard to make up time for  when the going gets challenging.This was not the case as we rode at a very set pace up as well as down .With regard to training ,the most gains i saw was when i pushed myself during spinning or IDT sessions to reach level 3 heart rate levels. Zwift had 16 IDT sessions that will get you through an Epic 

8 hours ago, copperhead said:

While I agree to this being for most people, personally I don't think it is for all. I know you are the coach but my personal feeling is some need to train harder. Our physical ability varies so much from person to person. Look this is just my take on it. In order for one person to get somewhere they will have a completely different schedule to another. Also depends on what the goal is! Some people need 15 hours per week to finish it some need 5. Again just me speaking what I feel.

Training smarter would involve everything you have said above. 

7 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

????

Or off the ark..

But spot on. I spend my 7-12hrs per week conducting specific drills to work on weakenesses. For a a rank beginner just riding and building base is the most important thing. With a solid base HIIT adds the trimmings needed to have fun at the Epic and not just survive. The way the Epic course is structured finishing on any kind of bike is a possibility....if you are a seasoned athlete.

Now here..."Where as someone could train to a strict program etc but still be a relative noob 4 years into their cycling journey.".. tFour years should be enough but I have a friend who has been riding for about 10years and still struggles to finish the Epic. The stars have to align for him to get there simply because he does not train smart despite having a coach on retainer. <basically he gives a guy some money every month>

8 hours ago, copperhead said:

Training smarter actually entails training harder for shorter duration. Its the peeps who train harder ( large volumes at low intensity) that tend to go nowhere except to bed because they're so tired and often don't stick around longer than a few years before heading back to the golf course.

I offered my services to said pal a few years ago. He tried a 6 week block I worked out for him, saw the gains but didn't like the amount HIIT worked into the 7hrs per week in the plan. He prefers paying someone to tell when to ride Z1, Z2 or Z3 rides in the 7-9 hrs per week he has and expects to finish the Epic.

Your mental approach and commitment is by far the most important sacrifice to training you make. If you don't have 25hrs per week to ride around the Peninsula you better be prepared to work harder and smarter 

My definition of harder is HIIT

My definition of Smart is following periodization models  

Edited by DieselnDust

2 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

????

Or off the ark..

But spot on. I spend my 7-12hrs per week conducting specific drills to work on weakenesses. For a a rank beginner just riding and building base is the most important thing. With a solid base HIIT adds the trimmings needed to have fun at the Epic and not just survive. The way the Epic course is structured finishing on any kind of bike is a possibility....if you are a seasoned athlete.

Now here..."Where as someone could train to a strict program etc but still be a relative noob 4 years into their cycling journey.".. tFour years should be enough but I have a friend who has been riding for about 10years and still struggles to finish the Epic. The stars have to align for him to get there simply because he does not train smart despite having a coach on retainer. <basically he gives a guy some money every month>

Training smarter actually entails training harder for shorter duration. Its the peeps who train harder in large volumes that tend to go nowhere except to bed because they're so tired and often don't stick around longer than a few years before heading back to the golf course.

I offered my services to said pal a few years ago. He tried a 6 week block I worked out for him, saw the gains but didn't like the amount HIIT worked into the 7hrs per week in the plan. He prefers paying someone to tell when to ride Z1, Z2 or Z3 rides in the 7-9 hrs per week he has and expects to finish the Epic.

Your mental approach and commitment is by far the most important sacrifice to training you make. If you don't have 25hrs per week to ride around the Peninsula you better be prepared to work harder and smarter 

Some are just smarter at athletic stuff than others .Both my Epic partners had coaches ,bike-fit,s,nutritionist. For ten years i have done all my prep myself and of i had the time i would be my own mechanic too . I am a , if it ain,t broke ,don,t fix it person.Smarter training is more benefit from less effort .All the extra info from these extra people/services can certainly help ,but logic trumps all of it   

On 10/25/2021 at 7:03 AM, tinmug said:

USWE is a (Swedish) brand. Available in SA.

Any idea who stocks this in south africa? i see it on takealot but i want a different colour.