Tour de France 2022

'Dale

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, FootballingCyclist said:

Just for a case like this with Cav being excluded, I feel after x-amount of stage wins or whatever, a rider should have an automatic place in the race, same as the Golf PGA Lifetime card some players received which means they don't have to qualify. And then said riders team should be allowed to add an extra rider.. Oh well...

Its the Tour. Nothing in any team is a definite for any rider. 

11 hours ago, milky4130 said:

I see Astana announced their Team for the Tour and sadly Stefan De Bod also didn't make the cut. We could've had a record equaling 4 Saffas at the tour. Anyone have the history on that Stat?

Wonder if he got a call first or just read it on social media. 🫣🤔

2 hours ago, J Wakefield said:

Nothing strange about not being told if you weren't going. Nothing is a guarantee in a Tour team selection. 

What ever happened to good manners and a smattering of decency? I have little doubt that QS can afford a phone call at the very least! If any rider has earned the right to a phone call he has.  And, on another point, these teams expect riders to use their social media accounts to promote the good news.

4 minutes ago, Plentipotential said:

What ever happened to good manners and a smattering of decency? I have little doubt that QS can afford a phone call at the very least! If any rider has earned the right to a phone call he has.  And, on another point, these teams expect riders to use their social media accounts to promote the good news.

While I don’t disagree with you at all, your point is valid. Question asked could be was he ever really on long list for the Tour? Short list etc. There was lots of talk from media and his side about going to the Tour and he “deserves it” etc but the little communication for QS seemed to the the opposite or nothing close to a actual spot. 

it’s hard to explain it here but the Tour is different, I have had a rider crying 24hrs before selection to me asking if I knew anything about his selection. 

if I can explain it it’s like this: if you asked to go to the Tour; you go. Even if you do not want to. This is for riders and staff alike. 

The Tour is like nothing else ever when  inside the bubble. 

its that big 

37 minutes ago, J Wakefield said:

While I don’t disagree with you at all, your point is valid. Question asked could be was he ever really on long list for the Tour? Short list etc. There was lots of talk from media and his side about going to the Tour and he “deserves it” etc but the little communication for QS seemed to the the opposite or nothing close to a actual spot. 

it’s hard to explain it here but the Tour is different, I have had a rider crying 24hrs before selection to me asking if I knew anything about his selection. 

if I can explain it it’s like this: if you asked to go to the Tour; you go. Even if you do not want to. This is for riders and staff alike. 

The Tour is like nothing else ever when  inside the bubble. 

its that big 

Thanks John for giving as a glimpse of what's going on behind the scenes.  Fair to say, the Tour is a much much bigger deal for the riders than for us or what we can even imagine?

I see Sam Bennett is off the Bora list. After the departure of Sagan, Bora are heading into the GC bucket with no place for him. Or perhaps he's injured again?

45 minutes ago, lechatnoir said:

I see Sam Bennett is off the Bora list. After the departure of Sagan, Bora are heading into the GC bucket with no place for him. Or perhaps he's injured again?

For this Tour they are going GC, they not necessary a GC only team 

18 hours ago, FootballingCyclist said:

Just for a case like this with Cav being excluded, I feel after x-amount of stage wins or whatever, a rider should have an automatic place in the race, same as the Golf PGA Lifetime card some players received which means they don't have to qualify. And then said riders team should be allowed to add an extra rider.. Oh well...

Pro Golfers are like people that earn commission… if they don’t perform they don’t get paid. It’s also an individual sport, so they need to look after themselves (and their caddie).

Pro Cyclists are like salaried people. They get paid a fix salary to do a job. There might be performance bonuses, but they work as a team.