Tour de France 2022

'Dale

20 minutes ago, FootballingCyclist said:

Not even a call to say he's not made the team...

20220627_161532.jpg

Career limiting post from Mark

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, milky4130 said:

Are you kidding? All he said was the fact that they didn't call / email him directly that he didn't make the team. That's on them.
And then he said that it sucks that he was left out. It does. Nothing unusual there.
And then some good luck for the team   🐺

What's career-limiting about this??

Not sure I can agree with the decision to leave Cav out of the team, could have generated a lot of interest to the normally mundane sprint stages. He got a lot of coverage for the team last year and it's not like he doesn't have the form this year.

37 minutes ago, Jakkals. said:

Cav has had enough chances while riding for DD to go for the record. 

2016 - 4 stage wins, Sagan won the Green Jersey

2017 - Crashed out on stage 4, DNF

2018 - Didn't make cut off at stage 11, August same year he was diagnosed with the Epstein-Barr virus which he was arguably already suffering from.

2019 - Didn't ride TdF due to the virus.

He won more stages for DD than anyone else and really put the DD name out there and gathered loads of publicity. Could he have done better, probably yes, Could he have done worse, 100% yes..

18 minutes ago, milky4130 said:

Don't think it's that bad. But ya, being 100% honest isn't always great PR for a well renowned athletes employer!! Regardless, he prob sees this as his last year with them anyway as he only has a 1yr contract with them.

I know Cav is special in the fact that he has the joint record holder on stage races.

BUT, taking half a step back. Do we really think each and every prospective TDF rider gets a call from his DS to break the news to him before it reaches the social media pages?

We are all human, maybe the DS just had too much on his plate to call the great and mighty Cav to let him down softly. 

3 minutes ago, Hilton. said:

Are you kidding? All he said was the fact that they didn't call / email him directly that he didn't make the team. That's on them.
And then he said that it sucks that he was left out. It does. Nothing unusual there.
And then some good luck for the team   🐺

What's career-limiting about this??

In the corporate world it’s a no-no to go to social media about your employer.

It's also no secret that Cav and Patrick have a rather 'strained' relationship at best.

A year ago Cav only made the team due to an even bigger fallout between Patrick and Bennett 'injury'....

It was also hugely surprising that Quick Step signed him after all the nasty stuff both had said about one another..... 

I see Astana announced their Team for the Tour and sadly Stefan De Bod also didn't make the cut. We could've had a record equaling 4 Saffas at the tour. Anyone have the history on that Stat?

2 hours ago, Vetplant said:

I know Cav is special in the fact that he has the joint record holder on stage races.

BUT, taking half a step back. Do we really think each and every prospective TDF rider gets a call from his DS to break the news to him before it reaches the social media pages?

We are all human, maybe the DS just had too much on his plate to call the great and mighty Cav to let him down softly. 

I do believe Cav is listed as a reserve for Quickstep, so there’s still a glimmer of hope 🤩

Cavendish knew he would struggle to get into the tour team earlier in the year....also no Alaphilppe ...French champion also as a reserve....no Sam Bennett....not on form being honest...another season struggle...