Medals at events

MG22

"i look for a young kid whose dad mom or sibling has ridden and gotten a medal i then gift the kid my medal” Errr… Rory, say WHAT? Is your attorney aware of this admission?

Edited by justinafrika

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

These days I only do events where the finishing token is worth keeping. Not because it's better than anything else, but because the event itself is worth getting out of bed for.

A Basutu Blanket, some belt buckles, some wire animals.. 

The only participation medal I would accept is a silver at Oceans. 

The allure of racing, races and events eludes me these days. I was talked into doing a running race a few weeks ago and to get to registration and have the checks done and make my start batch I had to get up at 4am to run 50km of trails I could have got up and run at a reasonable time the next day. I was grumbly to myself about that and how much of an idiot I was for being talked into it.

BUT, on that, I'm kinda with Skubarra. If you're going to hand out medals, metal ones are definitely better. Unless they are awesome recycled plastic cups made by a community project and the proceeds of the race go towards that community... or some such.

I would definitely take a 500ml coke bottle trophy.

Energy events went through a stage of giving out potted succulents and a stodels gift card instead of medals. My wife liked that

10 hours ago, NC_lurker said:

I'd forgotten about those! Remember the guys who used to sew them onto their tracksuit tops ????

(...come on, share a picture...I'm sure you had your Mom sew yours onto your favourite top..)

naaaadahvark....

the most cherished are in an album with something called printed photos.... 

although by way of example

street style paris fashion week haute couture springsummer 2018 day one

Edited by DieselnDust

Something of a change of subject. The posts about heart attacks make me think. I've been at a few events now where blokes have died.

At least twice I have actually gone past the guy. IIRC the first one I saw was 947 MTB 2018. It was bitch hot too that year. Some other riders had moved him under a tree a little way off the track. Medic was still on his way. I bought my first bicycle in February of 2018. By July I was getting a bit more serious. So went and had a proper cardio 3D scan and have also subsequently had a sonar. To be sure. And have pushed some of my mates to do the same.

It really is something about which there needs to be much greater awareness. If you're a middle aged male - or getting on a bit like me - or a bit overweight - and you want to participate in events, having a full proper cardio examination is really not an optional matter IMHO. It's literally a matter of life and death. IMHO/YMMV.

13 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

I hear you and to a large extent agree, achievement should be recognised. Achievement means different things to different people and therefore should be recognised in accordance. Most events offer what is called a "finishers medal".  This is something has become  a norm. 

Maybe because I've grown up around funrides and SACF races I have a different idea around funride finishers medals as recognition of achievement vs placement medals for a podium. back in the day, all we got was a cloth badge to say thanks for participating. That was eough. Then it escalated to a medal and all events caught on and now its an expectation... 

For me the memories and war stories after are worth far more than the medal, 

I was with Mudlark on this until you mentioned the cloth badge, I'd take that over a medal. My very first ever funride back in 1987 I recieved a cloth badge that I still have. That can atleast be tucked into an album with photos of the event.

We should punt this idea.

edit. Found a pic on my phone

F57EBAFC-8374-42A6-8277-9B51BDC4781A.jpeg.5e503b4c50ef27b02aec972e6a269e29.jpeg

I have a medal cabinet that has the medals from 947 and ctct in. The rest are in a box somewhere. Actually found the same cabinet at a flee market and bought it as a second one because the first does not have enough space. 

Edited by ouzo

3 hours ago, MudLark said:

Something of a change of subject. The posts about heart attacks make me think. I've been at a few events now where blokes have died.

At least twice I have actually gone past the guy. IIRC the first one I saw was 947 MTB 2018. It was bitch hot too that year. Some other riders had moved him under a tree a little way off the track. Medic was still on his way. I bought my first bicycle in February of 2018. By July I was getting a bit more serious. So went and had a proper cardio 3D scan and have also subsequently had a sonar. To be sure. And have pushed some of my mates to do the same.

It really is something about which there needs to be much greater awareness. If you're a middle aged male - or getting on a bit like me - or a bit overweight - and you want to participate in events, having a full proper cardio examination is really not an optional matter IMHO. It's literally a matter of life and death. IMHO/YMMV.

That's good advice Where do you get it done and how much was it - did medical cover etc?? I am 58 and do fit the profile - certainly not inexperienced but have a body weight 10 kgs more than what i want and cholesterol a little high. I know of many cases where guys my age, all super fit but hadn't had a check up, had heart attacks and in most cases are deceased. Too many to mention. Possibly a good idea.

14 minutes ago, Paul Ruinaard said:

That's good advice Where do you get it done and how much was it - did medical cover etc?? I am 58 and do fit the profile - certainly not inexperienced but have a body weight 10 kgs more than what i want and cholesterol a little high. I know of many cases where guys my age, all super fit but hadn't had a check up, had heart attacks and in most cases are deceased. Too many to mention. Possibly a good idea.

Paul, you should expect to pay between R 5000 and R 6000 to have a proper checkup by a qualified cardiologist. There are many good cardiologists. But it will probably take you a few weeks to get an appointment with one, unless you are being referred by your GP on an emergency basis. The checkup will probably include a test while you are running on a treadmill and also a heart sonar – you will actually be able to see your own heart beating on the screen. It's a bit disconcerting. If you have doubts as to which cardiologist to use, maybe approach the SA Heart Foundation and see if they have any recommendations to make.

In my case, my medical aid did pay. But the cost of the examination is not very big inthe overall cost of being a cycling enthusiast and it is quite literally a life and death matter. So don't think it's one of those where one focuses too much on what the money is.

PS: Looking at your profile I see you are in Gauteng. Dr Len Steingo is a good option.

Edited by MudLark

14 minutes ago, Paul Ruinaard said:

did medical cover etc??

My medical aid did cover it, requires a GP’s referral. Stress ECG took all of 25 minutes (biokineticists do this too) before I walked back to my car.  Further diagnostics may involve blood analytics, echocardiography (ultrasound imaging), one of a few other imaging techniques if a closer look is required.    Many of us require just the first two or three steps.  All were covered in my case.

16 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

Medals are for 1st, 2nd, 3rd place in a race. so $, VA, VB an VC podium winners should get medals.  AL DC teams should go to the naughty corner

Medals for participation is like a gold star for coming to school., it just dumbs down the value of preparing. strategising and competing

Those winners trophies were legit though!

16 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

Medals are for 1st, 2nd, 3rd place in a race. so $, VA, VB an VC podium winners should get medals.  AL DC teams should go to the naughty corner

Medals for participation is like a gold star for coming to school., it just dumbs down the value of preparing. strategising and competing

I agree for most races, but for some particularly tough races it makes sense to have a finishers medal because just finishing is an achievement in itself. But for sure, for me having the data on my strava with some pics is worth a lot more than a silly medal, that usually ends up around my daughters neck the second I get home and disapears within minutes.

12 hours ago, NC_lurker said:

I'd forgotten about those! Remember the guys who used to sew them onto their tracksuit tops ????

(...come on, share a picture...I'm sure you had your Mom sew yours onto your favourite top..)

These are the only badges my mom had to sew onto my jackets...

64feea5244424aacd316636efa746137--custom-jackets-metal-health.jpg

6 minutes ago, Jbr said:

I agree for most races, but for some particularly tough races it makes sense to have a finishers medal because just finishing is an achievement in itself. But for sure, for me having the data on my strava with some pics is worth a lot more than a silly medal, that usually ends up around my daughters neck the second I get home and disapears within minutes.

Thing is you might not consider finishing the 10km Kerkbasaar Funride an achievement, but for many others it might be the only cycle ride they do that year, furthest they ever cycled or even the only race they ever do - who is going to be the  judge of what qualifies as tough enough for medals?

As per my earlier posts, medals are cheap and don't really add to the overheads. Also given that we have this medal discussion on the hub about 5 times a year clearly there are enough peeps out there who value these little trinkets (despite 90% of posters saying they don't care about medals). So I don't think any decent event organiser have an excuse to get this wrong. (more than once at least)

I treasure all my "finisher" medals.

From the first 20km race I did to the Sani2C, Wines2Whales, 947 and CTCT medals.

I hang them where I can see them, it serves as a reminder that I do not want to go back being a fat couch potato like I used to be before I started cycling.

35 minutes ago, Pieterlab1 said:

I treasure all my "finisher" medals.

From the first 20km race I did to the Sani2C, Wines2Whales, 947 and CTCT medals.

I hang them where I can see them, it serves as a reminder that I do not want to go back being a fat couch potato like I used to be before I started cycling.

I agree.

Medaljes is definitief belangrik.  Vir baie mans en dames maar uiters belangrik vir kinders.  Ja ek weet ook dit is problematies dat 'n kind deesdae vir elke deelname iets kry al het hulle nie hard gewerk/geoefen nie.

Ek laat my jong dogters so veel moontlik kompetisies doen. Eerstens vir gesondheids redes, en vir familie tyd saam en natuurlik vir plesier maar seker een van die grootste redes is om 'n lewensstyl vir hulle te wys wat hulle lewens lank kan volhou.  Die medaljes en "goodie" sakkies help verseker om hulle te motiveer en die dag die moeitewerd te maak vir hulle.