Joberg2C 2022 the final?

NotSoBigBen

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

18 hours ago, jcza said:

Staggering that it is now cheaper to go skiing in Switzerland for a week, all inclusive, than sleeping in a tent and eating food prepared by the Landbou Unie/Rotary club aunties. 

Or go mountain biking for two weeks in the Alps...

It is true that the price has increased significantly in the last couple of years, but that also seems to be true for virtually every other cycling event.

However, my 2016 ride still ranks as one of the best things I've ever done on a mountain bike and I'll like to use this forum to acknowledge all the people who made this amazing event possible. Thanks for the great memories, it was a privilege to have ridden the beloved country with you guys & girls!

24510631_41969.jpg

Edited by WIPEOUT 1000

Noooooo! I've been amping the J2C as a cheaper, better, more enjoyable, nicer trails, cooler people event (compared to the Epic) to the locals here in Copenhagen.

I have around 15 guys wanting me to put a trip together.

Hopefully Wappo comes up with something awesome. Thumbs crossed!

2 minutes ago, Eldron said:

Noooooo! I've been amping the J2C as a cheaper, better, more enjoyable, nicer trails, cooler people event (compared to the Epic) to the locals here in Copenhagen.

I have around 15 guys wanting me to put a trip together.

Hopefully Wappo comes up with something awesome. Thumbs crossed!

For R35k per person you can put something fantastic together and sleep in hotels and not tents. 

18 minutes ago, jcza said:

For R35k per person you can put something fantastic together and sleep in hotels and not tents. 

SHOW ME😆

ON a side note FOR vaalies, I always thought no event touched 3 Towers cost vs reward, 

20 minutes ago, Dry Biltong said:

wonder why they didn't try sell the event ?

The list of those with the capacity, ability and funds is minimal, more likely nil. Also I'd imagine the crew would like to bow out and keep the memory in the spirit of the original event. 

4 hours ago, _David_ said:

It seems that this sort of thing is becoming more and more popular at a fraction of the cost.

Yes I think as the social side of cycling has evolved over the past few years people figured out you can have great multi-day cycling experiences without doing expensive stage races. 

Still think Joberg2C offers something unique that will be hard to replicate by yourself or with friends so there is a place for an event like that, but they probably need a big headline sponsor to make it worthwhile for the organisers and affordable for cyclists.

I just finished a 4 day tour with Seamus in and around -Die Hell-4 days of riding with camping and braais every night .We had to supply our own food ,the backup Ldv was sorted .

We hiked a bike down (Die Leer) into Die Hell and camped there night 1

It did not cost more that 2k all in. Great ride and great friends made, biketouring is the way to go.

1 hour ago, jcza said:

Thing is that entering the J2C makes it really easy for me to arrange 🙂

If I'm going to the trouble of putting a tour together it will be in the Cape where the wine is (and Garden Route Trail Park!!!).

1 minute ago, Eldron said:

Thing is that entering the J2C makes it really easy for me to arrange 🙂

If I'm going to the trouble of putting a tour together it will be in the Cape where the wine is (and Garden Route Trail Park!!!).

Let me know if you need someone here in SA to assist. I know a guy with bus, bike trailer, medics and loads of experience doing tours for small groups. 

1 minute ago, jcza said:

Let me know if you need someone here in SA to assist. I know a guy with bus, bike trailer, medics and loads of experience doing tours for small groups. 

Will do and thanks!

1 hour ago, DIPSLICK said:

SHOW ME😆

ON a side note FOR vaalies, I always thought no event touched 3 Towers cost vs reward, 

3 Towers was probably the best value for money in terms of stage races - Was on my bucket list, but alas ! I procrastinated and missed the boat. Hopefully the new guys will find a sponsor and bring it back.

We did the first Lowveld Quest 4 day challenge, organized by same guys (previous owners of Mankele), was our first stage race and then went on to do S2C and B&B - Lowveld Quest was far better than both.

1 hour ago, madmarc said:

3 Towers was probably the best value for money in terms of stage races - Was on my bucket list, but alas ! I procrastinated and missed the boat. Hopefully the new guys will find a sponsor and bring it back.

We did the first Lowveld Quest 4 day challenge, organized by same guys (previous owners of Mankele), was our first stage race and then went on to do S2C and B&B - Lowveld Quest was far better than both.

I'm very intrigued about what the ingredients are for successful mtb stage races. The one thing that I have seen over the years is that actually offering better cycling routes than other events is not particularly important. Having a great marketing operation that can sell your event to sponsors & riders in that they are buying into a special experience is far more crucial.