Joberg2C 2022 the final?

NotSoBigBen

Just saw this on a local group ...

Dear joberg2c rider 

We hope you and your families and friends have a had a good holiday.

After 11 years of awesome adventures, joberg2c as you know it will come to an end after the 2022 event, 22 April to 30 April.

There are numerous smaller reasons for this decision notwithstanding the impact that Covid has had on the event, but the main reason is the life changes amongst the organisers, Gary, Glen and Wappo.

Farmer Glen will continue to farm, to do sani2c and most importantly he is about to become a grandad and he wants more time at home.

Farmer Gary will continue his fine form as a grandad, farmer and he will continue to work with his family on Berg and Bush and Oxpecker.

Wappo will be starting a new event in the Free State and Berg to support the villages that depend on the funds from joberg2c, and to keep the vibe alive.

Thanks to your support, joberg2c became an iconic mountain biking ride showcasing the very best of communities from city to sea. We have put over R35 Million back into these communities and we are immensely proud of this, thanks to the great support from adventurous people like you who are prepared to go the extra mile to get the most out of life.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sad, especially for the surrounding communities. Supremely difficult to ensure viability in the current climate without a headline sponsor, and even then. 
Cautiously optimistic that someone/something shall step into the void here.

Very disappointed that I never got to do this event, but these things are just way outside my budget & leave constraints at this stage of my life.

Also goes to show how precarious the sponsorship situation is even for high profile cycling/mtb events, wouldn't be the only famous race dropping off the calendar this year.

Tis such a pity. I would have loved top do it one more time before I got too old.  Lol.......

Did it in 2016 on my hardtail 1 x 10, and except for a sore ass after bumping over rough farm fields for the first three days, it was the best nine days of my life. I would have loved to do it on a more modern dualie though. Alas, it seems not to be for me.

Edited by Wannabe

I was fortunate enough to do the last proper J2C 2019 which was "The best nine days of my life" with riding partner @Stockman.

I would love to do this last one but it won't happen at this stage. There is still hope though;)

Its a real pity - But I remember a number of years back  when their anchor sponsor stepped out (A certain big Ag company) we then, also an Ag brand looked at stepping in as main sponsor. Even with our big marketing budget we were astounded at what they wanted and a certain level of arrogance of take it or leave it - It sounded like their was a que of sponsors lining up with their cheque books.

12 hours ago, bullet77 said:

I was fortunate enough to do the last proper J2C 2019 which was "The best nine days of my life" with riding partner @Stockman.

I would love to do this last one but it won't happen at this stage. There is still hope though;)

Yes, it certainly is an event that I will never forget. We have many chats about those 9 days. The thing is, apart from the pretty hefty entry fee, the cost of the logistics is at the very least an additional R15k. Flights, accommodation before and after, bike transport and services, etc.  956DC299-8464-471E-89C3-6711EDB54A92.jpeg.284b3f045fbe5a16d66d9b0f9a26d0cb.jpeg

16 hours ago, jcza said:

Staggering that it is now cheaper to go skiing in Switzerland for a week, all inclusive, than sleeping in a tent and eating food prepared by the Landbou Unie/Rotary club aunties. 

It seems that this sort of thing is becoming more and more popular at a fraction of the cost.

Edited by _David_

It is sad and was also on the bucket list. But interesting is the cost that was associated.

Was looking at r2ts (yes i know you cant compare) but at R1250 then you compare that to the Reits stage race that comes in at 1950 all in for 3 days.

Route 66 as well. I just dont have the budget so guess will stay on bucket and it will get longer and longer

Trans bav R3300 pp

360   R2500.00

CTT R1900.00

then add logistics.

Like golf becoming exclusive and over priced

Perhaps if i win the lotto...

16 hours ago, jcza said:

Staggering that it is now cheaper to go skiing in Switzerland for a week, all inclusive, than sleeping in a tent and eating food prepared by the Landbou Unie/Rotary club aunties. 

Cheaper to fly to Kirgizstan, race silk road and fly back and chances are you will have a far wilder experience. Some of these races are becoming a joke in terms of entry fee.

1 hour ago, Stockman said:

Yes, it certainly is an event that I will never forget. We have many chats about those 9 days. The thing is, apart from the pretty hefty entry fee, the cost of the logistics is at the very least an additional R15k. Flights, accommodation before and after, bike transport and services, etc.  956DC299-8464-471E-89C3-6711EDB54A92.jpeg.284b3f045fbe5a16d66d9b0f9a26d0cb.jpeg

Logistics must be much easier if you're KZN or JHB based.