Absa Cape Epic 2022

JohanDiv

23 minutes ago, jcza said:

Who knows? Something wasn't right with the team, Dan Martin was also moaning. 

I recall and it appeared to be incredible incompetence but most of the teams have their riders nutrition pretty dialled hence I doubt it would be mistakes on that magnitude 

as an amateur I made some dietary mistakes at tour of good hope in 2018 and only ended up gaining 1kg over 5 days but the biggest impact was how flat I felt. No energy. Too much carbohydrate isn’t better 

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Far more profitable for the Epic to have riders pull out / not make cut-off. Catering for 800 people for 8 days versus planning to start catering for 800 people and taper it down to 400 7 days later.

11 minutes ago, watsonr said:

Far more profitable for the Epic to have riders pull out / not make cut-off. Catering for 800 people for 8 days versus planning to start catering for 800 people and taper it down to 400 7 days later.

It doesn’t work that way. Food is bought and paid for before the event starts. There is always surplus

Edited by DieselnDust

1 hour ago, watsonr said:

This is an often repeated nonsensical myth. Everything is paid and catered for ahead of time. If anything it's the opposite as the event has a logistics overflow for excess that needs to then be accounted for. 

I had a quick look at the Epic this year as it passed Houwhoek en route to Greyton and then drove alongside some of the small groups as they headed along the vdStel Pass road. By most accounts a tough day. I've seen many editions up close and have mates riding this year, my thoughts:

Was a proper hard race - in the men's - no team got to dominate - so they thrashed each other each day, SCR came out on top as they were the best at thrashing. Flame suit on here: Sauser, Kulharvy, Nino have in the past acted like the Don and dictated the pace if they were not on a great day and had a lead to protect." Despite the No1 on their boards - Matt seems like a genuine nice oke and Blevins had "newbie" on his back - there was no mongrel to put SCR in their place and Nino was off the back fixing slow leaks in Lars or Aspens. It all made for great viewing.

The women had a small field - but from what I saw on the road, they didnt hold back - the racing was quality, again thrashing each other. Really chuffed to see the Saffas of Lill/ Strauss & Preen/ Rabie dictating the race at times. A week prior Lill and Preen were leading it on the road up Suikerbossie in the rain - great attitudes and great athletes. Hope they hang around for a few more years and continue to get the support they deserve.

On the dropout rate - for me it seems to be preparation - know folks who ABSA asks to ride each year because of their clout and those who dont think twice about the price - some finish, some dont, some prepare, some dont. Anyone can hire a decent coach nowadays, but some just dont follow through on the prep and take a chance.

*spelling

Edited by tubed

I know for a fact I will not make it, no matter how hard I train and prepare, if I get a hot day in the mountains like they had on stage 1. My body just simply fall to pieces in the mountains when the temperature goes over 32 degrees C.

6 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

It doesn’t work that way. Food is bought and paid for before the event starts. There is always surplus

They don,t spend that much on food ,believe me !

1 hour ago, eala said:

They don,t spend that much on food ,believe me !

true, a lot is sponsored  but the deamnd plan is still in place. Woolies does the catering?

I've not been near Epic standard, ever but know enough about stage races (plenty) to recognise that if you don't train hard and smart every time you are going to suffer (I have). Peak of hard and smart to me was one or two rides that mimicked two days of the race; one day with around 100km and at least 2000m of climbing about six weeks before then next day about 60km to 80km with 1700m of climbing. This usually involved two circuits of a ride and was very little fun. Body, bike and nutrition must be 100%; a cooking or freezing day can still mess you up.

On the number of finishers I remember one of the old Roof of Africa organisers (John Salters or Peter Luck) saying that the winner would be the person who got closest to the finish line 😁.

55 minutes ago, NotSoBigBen said:

No expert but its not only about fitness in my humble opinion  ... 

A certain amount of 'vasbyt' is required and that's probably a bigger problem than outright leg fitness, maar nou ja wat weet ek 🤪

^^^^^^ in spades. Rode for first time this year and would like to think I was reasonably well prepared but still took plenty lashings.

Stage 1 was a whole new dimension of afk@k, then got better till both partner and me got spuitpoep on stage 5. Soldiered on as it would be really k@k to have a really nice travelbag you cannot use without embarrassment

Edited by Ossie NL

1 hour ago, NotSoBigBen said:

No expert but its not only about fitness in my humble opinion  ... 

A certain amount of 'vasbyt' is required and that's probably a bigger problem than outright leg fitness, maar nou ja wat weet ek 🤪

15 minutes ago, Ossie NL said:

^^^^^^ in spades. Rode for first time this year and would like to think I was reasonably well prepared but still took plenty lashings.

Stage 1 was a whole new dimension of afk@k, then got better till both partner and me got spuitpoep on stage 5. Soldiered on as it would be really k@k to have a really nice travelbag you cannot use without embarrassment

^^^^^ in ACE of spades. Some people give up and others don't. We have read about @JohanDiv and his struggles. Did he give up? Norrafork. Did Ossie gooi in the towel? Naught. Some people are just tougherer than others. Mentally and physically.

22 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

Why does it need to change?

As long as they sell most of the entries, what does it matter how many finish?

I'm pretty sure they are smart enough to be looking at the quantity of entry applications they receive and the level of the riders on the startline. There is a fine balance between the difficulty of the route, the price of the entry and the whole experience for the week.

If things change, they should react to it before it affects them.

As a UCI pro marathon race it is clearly subsidised by the joe average wannabes who pay the R104k ticket to sleep in a red tent. You can't assume that there will be an excess demand for entries in perpetuity. On a totally different level, one can see how the entry demand for Argus cycletour has waned in recent years, this is mainly surely due to a few editions having issues with wind/fires etc etc.  

I am impressed by one thing, while there was talk of tummy bugs and the rest I am quite surprised that not much more has been made of how this organisation has pulled off two editions now in the last 6 months without major covid implications. 

See my factor post was moved…

Disappointing that there were no bike reviews of the Epic bikes, could not dind any on the 4 websites I visit.

Different interest, but always enjoyed those. 

10 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

I'm pretty sure they are smart enough to be looking at the quantity of entry applications they receive and the level of the riders on the startline. There is a fine balance between the difficulty of the route, the price of the entry and the whole experience for the week.

If things change, they should react to it before it affects them.

As a UCI pro marathon race it is clearly subsidised by the joe average wannabes who pay the R104k ticket to sleep in a red tent. You can't assume that there will be an excess demand for entries in perpetuity. On a totally different level, one can see how the entry demand for Argus cycletour has waned in recent years, this is mainly surely due to a few editions having issues with wind/fires etc etc.  

I am impressed by one thing, while there was talk of tummy bugs and the rest I am quite surprised that not much more has been made of how this organisation has pulled off two editions now in the last 6 months without major covid implications. 

I agree on getting 2 different editions out in 6 months. The team must be wrecked.

I don't see how anyone can predict the strength of the riders on the start line though.

There is always a level of unpredictability as to the shape of who can afford to pay. A level of 'trust' from both parties is the key. The organisers trust you have done the work and the hackers trust the organisers to entertain the racing but also consider them. 

Like I've said, I think the event this year, based on their business/marketing model, was exceptional.

I loved watching the racing, the coverage was top notch and it amazed me that it was free. 

There does look to be enough interest to not change the formula just yet, but I'm sure they have some plans in the pipeline. It's a fine balance entertaining the racing and the hackers on the same course in the same conditions, so hopefully they continue to get that balance mostly right.