Cape Town wants to ban cyclists from promenade

Mamil

The history of this issue is like this:

The promenade was for pedestrians only ever since it was built. Then, a few years ago it was experimentally opened to cyclists, skate boarders and and rollerbladers. There was a period where people could comment and to allow for Capies to see if they could live with that arrangement. It never seemed to be an issue.

Personally, whenever I cycled alone around the Atlantic side on the roadie, I used the roads through the Waterfront, then slowed down and did the promenade to the Sea Point swimming pool. I never had any issues and never saw any danger to anyone. If I was in a group and we wanted to go fast, we used Beach Road.

Now, a few years down the line, there must have been some complaints from pedestrians feeling cyclists endanger them and the City is looking at an alternative arrangement. I think it may have to do with the sudden increase in people walking and running outdoors when Covid rules allowed them to. My guess is that the promenade is busier now than it has ever been.

The solution? 

Edited by DJR

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, DJR said:

The promenade was for pedestrians only ever since it was built. Then, a few years ago it was experimentally opened to cyclists, skate boarders and and rollerbladers. There was a period where people could comment and to allow for Capies to see if they could live with that arrangement. It never seemed to be an issue.

Personally, whenever I cycled alone around the Atlantic side on the roadie, I used the roads through the Waterfront, then slowed down and did the promenade to the Sea Point swimming pool. I never had any issues and never saw any danger to anyone. If I was in a group and we wanted to go fast, we used Beach Road.

Now, a few years down the line, there must have been some complaints from pedestrians feeling cyclists endanger them and the City is looking at an alternative arrangement. I think it may have to do with the sudden increase in people walking and running outdoors when Covid rules allowed them to. My guess is that the promenade is busier now than it has ever been.

The solution? 

I think since the rental electric scooters started flying up and down the prom, and sometimes almost taking walkers out, people must have gotten gatvol and requested anything with wheels to be axed.

Those scooters are bloody fast, can see why walkers may be intimidated...

On 3/12/2022 at 9:23 AM, ItsMeDyl94 said:

Honestly. Way more pressing things that the City of Cape Town need to focus on. Also who is going to police this? Taking more resources away from our already dry and struggling police force just to stop okes riding bikes by the beach... A bit silly if you ask me. 

Karen rant over 😅

plenty of Karen's with the I want to see the manager haircuts ae standing in line to police this.. Misery loves company

On 3/12/2022 at 3:27 PM, NeverNotRolling said:

I think since the rental electric scooters started flying up and down the prom, and sometimes almost taking walkers out, people must have gotten gatvol and requested anything with wheels to be axed.

Those scooters are bloody fast, can see why walkers may be intimidated...

was going to say the same thing. It's more of a scooter issue than a bicycle issue.

I think it is perfectly possible for pedestrians and cyclists to co-exist and share places like the promenade. All it will take is a bit of common sense, good manners and consideration for others. Oh, wait, that is out of stock in Sea Point, uh, I mean, the World!

I visited my cousin in Munich in 2010 – he invited me to ride the TransAlp MTB event with him (bragging over 🤫).

What amazed me was the discipline (Germany, go figure) between cyclists and pedestrians on the pavements/sidewalks.

1. Where we rode/walked the pavements were super and generally obstruction free (no poles, bins, benches in the way) and clearly split between cyclists and pedestrians.
  2. I hardly saw a helmet being worn.
  3. If you walked where you weren't meant to, you either heard the sharp ringing of a bicycle bell or what sounded like someone about to bite your head off (but in a polite way, if that is possible).
  4. When it came to intersections (and I'm talking 1 or 2 turning lanes) and it was your turn to go on a bicycle, you could go – cars actually waited. And I'm not talking the wait where it feels like they are doing you a favour and you need to knock out 500w of power to cross. They didn't nudge forward, kept well behind their waiting line, etc. i.e. you could ride peacefully.

Sigh. That was a taste of what it should be like.

It is also in the definition of the noun Prominade- a place for walking/strolling.

If it were a velodrome or skatepark then we might have an argument.

But ya too little actual adult civil behavior in general public. 

On 3/11/2022 at 7:09 AM, MORNE said:

i think they mean the actual sidewalk/pavement right next to the ocean where the poppies and boets run and people walk their dogs...where the benches are -  with cyclist and the rest moved to the sidewalk next to the road, which is quite wide anyway.

i'll actually support that because ive been on that with a toddler plonking about,  having to dodge stupid tourists on those orange rental things or some idiot going 30kph on a electric scooter. i've never really seen an 'actual' cyclist on it.. they are usually too busy riding 3 abreast in Beach road, swearing at cars...

EDIT: cyclist banned form the blue bit and moved to the yellow bit. the responsible ones lready do it this way. I'm 100% fine with that imo. 

prom.jpg

Used to love that section when still commuting ... people just need to behave themselves 
image.png.a697f35639120e4db8eb22529f6745ad.pngimage.png.43277ab2c6156802d0e60f52d73f8861.png

20 minutes ago, dave303e said:

It is also in the definition of the noun Prominade- a place for walking/strolling.

If it were a velodrome or skatepark then we might have an argument.

But ya too little actual adult civil behavior in general public. 

So change the name to something more representative 

On 3/12/2022 at 1:02 PM, DJR said:

The solution? 

Fook, cyclist have been complaining for years regarding the cycle lane infrastructure being dangerous and poorly policed with cars parking in the lanes, etc and they (CCT) simply do nothing 

I don't ride there but sometimes take kiddo for a stroll and he rides or scooters. To me its a non-issue. Yes there are a couple of nit wits who ride a bit fast and weave around but I hardly noticed them ( this was the busiest time of day last time) Most of the day its not very crowded at all and its very wide. I responded to the poll with a definite no to closing it to bikes. There are other solutions eg  demarcation of a lane on the promenade and enforce that. 

1 hour ago, Hairy said:

So change the name to something more representative 

With that distinct self centered logic - can we change the cycle lanes to walk lanes, rubbish dumps or roads so the cyclists can stop complaining about cars, trash and pedestrians there? 

The logical solution would be to delineate lanes for walking, cycling etc etc. But this does not work.

Take the spruit- a running/walking lane and 2 single directional mtb lanes between delta and the gym area. All the beginner cyclists in the running lane because the cyclists in the mtb lanes are too fast. Meanwhile they are double the speed of the runners and triple the walkers. Or you are forced into the grass by a dad riding next to his kid in the running lane because he is scared someone is going to come up behind them shouting track or strava.

This is apart from the fact no one can read a sign. I told a mtb rider that is is in the running lane. So he stops shouts at me swears and asks where it states that. He felt like a fool when I pointed out the sign10m away from him. His excuse- he has ridden there for years since when is it that way. The signs had been up months by that stage. The runners are as bad in the mtb lanes.

People complaining about becoming a nanny state, well you need to be nannied along when there is no common sense, no common logic and no common courtesy in society.

and all of this before I even get started on dog walkers.

thank heaven I am no longer in a city and can avoid people in general.

4 minutes ago, dave303e said:

With that distinct self centered logic - can we change the cycle lanes to walk lanes, rubbish dumps or roads so the cyclists can stop complaining about cars, trash and pedestrians there? 

The logical solution would be to delineate lanes for walking, cycling etc etc. But this does not work.

Take the spruit- a running/walking lane and 2 single directional mtb lanes between delta and the gym area. All the beginner cyclists in the running lane because the cyclists in the mtb lanes are too fast. Meanwhile they are double the speed of the runners and triple the walkers. Or you are forced into the grass by a dad riding next to his kid in the running lane because he is scared someone is going to come up behind them shouting track or strava.

This is apart from the fact no one can read a sign. I told a mtb rider that is is in the running lane. So he stops shouts at me swears and asks where it states that. He felt like a fool when I pointed out the sign10m away from him. His excuse- he has ridden there for years since when is it that way. The signs had been up months by that stage. The runners are as bad in the mtb lanes.

People complaining about becoming a nanny state, well you need to be nannied along when there is no common sense, no common logic and no common courtesy in society.

"The logical solution would be to delineate lanes for walking, cycling etc etc. But this does not work"......but it does...

7 minutes ago, dave303e said:

for the record right next door on somerset road there is dual bike/walking lanes on the pavement. demarcation signs, special paving stones with logos. 

not surprising to say they are widely ignored and it's very low compliance