Ebike on sani2c

Kwagga van Zyl

4 minutes ago, rorydewet said:

I'm a trifle confused.

Seems E-Bikes are faster uphill's but slower on downhills.

On uphill's the battery helps, on downhills the speed restriction kicks in and the motor switches off.

Surely then the solution is to have all E-Bikes derestricted (chipped) so that they don't cause hold ups on the downhills.

😉😉

***** waits for the mob to start stoning.

It's not a restriction that kicks in, ebikes only have assistance up to 30km/h, after that you are on your own.

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, rorydewet said:

I'm a trifle confused.

Seems E-Bikes are faster uphill's but slower on downhills.

On uphill's the battery helps, on downhills the speed restriction kicks in and the motor switches off.

Surely then the solution is to have all E-Bikes derestricted (chipped) so that they don't cause hold ups on the downhills.

😉😉

***** waits for the mob to start stoning.

My point was simply that guys derestrict ebikes so that they are no longer simply gaining assistance but are riding fully fledged motorbikes, and get to feel like they're better than everyone else.

Similarly, guys that hate on ebikes feel better than everyone else because they are "more skilled/train harder" than everyone else.

Both are the result of fragile ego.

For the most part I’ve found that guys on ebikes don’t feel they have an advantage! There’s definitely room for them and I like the fact that it creates room for people who otherwise would never have the opportunity to do things like Sani or longer rides with awesome views. My problem is the younger guys like at this years Sani who leave their partners behind, force their way through normal riders only to wait at the top of the climbs and then repeat that process the entire day. Farmer Glen wrote a fantastic article about ebikes and the Sani2c in the latest cycling mag that every ebiker needs to read!

I geuss we can go back and forth with this all day, referring specifically to sani2c, I did the event and there were a couple of ebikes in our group, not at any point did they interfere with my race, some of them passed me on the uphills and I never saw them again. we also rode with another team where the one teammate was on an ebike and we enjoyed it, that person wouldnt have riddent there usually but it was nice riding with them and they didnt keep anyone up on any of the sections. really didnt bother me. just dont go bragging at how good you rode and how well you did but then you are riding an ebike

1 hour ago, avatar said:

just dont go bragging at how good you rode and how well you did but then you are riding an ebike

this is one of my biggest gripes with ebikes - they create a false sense of accomplishment.

I have a two "mates" who ride eMTBs and they have done most of the larney races like Tour de Tuli, Wine to Wales, JHB2C, Sani2C, etc...

And at social meeting they always have the biggest mouths telling everyone how easy or how tough the rides were and how well they did in their age groups and how they smashed their previous times but they never mention that they did it on ebikes.

Edited by _David_

3 hours ago, Squier said:

No one expects you to be Greg Minnaar, but be competent enough to navigate normal mountain bike terrain, like riding over a rock, or riding a switchback. 

Off topic I know but I was told that before one of the earlier Sani's Greg was doing a photo shoot on the Sani Day 2 Umko descent and had a massive crash. Not one a mortal would like to emulate.

I did the JHB2C mud ride this year and there was a lot of Ebikes especially overseas riders. Generally they were skilled enough to ride the tech bits and they never got- windgat -. On days that are over 100ks they tend to catch you in the last 30 ks but the guys were friendly and did not come hairing past on some K#$ hill.

It was the first ride that I did not get pi&*d off with them.

3 hours ago, Pieterlab1 said:

Exactly! Thank you!

There are many, many people who have been riding for 20 years or more who have limited skills. Time in the saddle means very little if you don't actively attempt to improve your skills and your fitness. Most SA riders do the latter not the former. 

1 hour ago, _David_ said:

this is one of my biggest gripes with ebikes - they create a false sense of accomplishment.

I have a two "mates" who ride eMTBs and they have done most of the larney races like Tour de Tuli, Wine to Wales, JHB2C, Sani2C, etc...

And at social meeting they always have the biggest mouths telling everyone how easy or how tough the rides were and how well they did in their age groups and how they smashed their previous times but they never mention that they did it on ebikes.

I got over this type of thing about 20 years ago when they increased the cut off times of the Comrades and Two Oceans by an hour.  

And then even worse when people did the two Oceans half marathon and said they did Oceans.

Then I realised that these type of things are really just our own personal challenges that dont actually mean anything to 99% of the earths population anyways so you really should not care what anyone else is doing or says they have done!

12 hours ago, Squier said:

I have no gripe with e-bikes in these events. 

I do however agree with the OP to some extent. When you enter an event like Sani2c, take the time to invest in your skill set. You already don't have to spend the same amount of time training as the other riders, so take some time to get your level of skill to a decent level. No one expects you to be Greg Minnaar, but be competent enough to navigate normal mountain bike terrain, like riding over a rock, or riding a switchback. At the end of the day it's not just about the riders being held up behind you, but you're also adding significantly to your own experience and enjoyment of the event. 

I agree but interesting enough the chap I rode with who has  limited zero skills only walked about four parts. That’s a momentous achievement. He did fall many times and got back and lip and rode on with a few whimpers but some mtb who been riding for years still get off on some tight switch backs it’s all about perseverance and perspective as well as after the ride I told him “ ignorance is bliss”  I  saw a gentleman on a Ebike push a lady up one hill she was far in back in the day literally broken and this little bit of care made her day. As noted Sani2sea was about fun and gentleman and ladies and I saw this in all along the route Ebike or normal. This makes South Africa special.