Post Ride Bill Splits

OVERDRIVE

12 minutes ago, Hairy said:

Mr Lamb and Whisky is my bet for the Merida.

Negative.. Iā€™m thinking that was Mr SWORKS.. šŸ˜…

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When I moved to hobbit-land I initially thought it was strange the way orders were placed and bills were split at restaurants and cafes etc.

Generally the service methods falls into 2 types:

1. Order and pay at counter. Receive a table marker (or state table reference). WaiterĀ brings food to you when ready. Some places have a more modern variation of this with QR codes on the table, with menus, ordering and payment via mobile phone. Overall individual ordering and payment on orderĀ is the more common method.
  2. Order from waiter. Pay bill at counter when leaving. State items ordered and they get checked off-the bill. Each person pays for what they ordered, or splits the bill by percentage (50/50 etc). This is more for finer dining. Not really the places one would go post ride.

Yes it does help that NZ isn't a tipping culture, which does simplify those incidents when a bill is split and some parties under-tip. But even so, with the above mentioned methods, any places that does have optional tipping, simply has it pop-up on the EFTpos/card machine, and most people just press "Skip", haha.

Here the general vibe is that people don't mind or get offended when itemising a bill and others only pay for what they ordered. Yes it adds a minute or 2 at "checkout" but I'm sure it has prevented many an argument or passive-aggressive thought between friends.

Edited by patches

Without debating who is right wrong, morally or in principle, the ability to have a meal/drinks and split a bill without worrying exactly who had one is a privilege.

Ā Here in Canada a server (waiter/waitress because everything must be gender neutral), brings the card machine and everyone pays for their own. Even when you clearly out on a date, the server asks to split the bill. To make it more shocking, the woman see this as normal.

When Iā€™m on a date, bills on me. When Iā€™m out with mates in SA, we would take turns to pay and because everyone is lekker, nobody would go wild when they werenā€™t on the hook for the bill.

Ā This is what makes South Africans lekker, but South Africans also love to *ffff* *ssss* up. Sad!

6 hours ago, patches said:

When I moved to hobbit-land I initially thought it was strange the way orders were placed and bills were split at restaurants and cafes etc.

Generally the service methods falls into 2 types:

1. Order and pay at counter. Receive a table marker (or state table reference). WaiterĀ brings food to you when ready. Some places have a more modern variation of this with QR codes on the table, with menus, ordering and payment via mobile phone. Overall individual ordering and payment on orderĀ is the more common method.
  2. Order from waiter. Pay bill at counter when leaving. State items ordered and they get checked off-the bill. Each person pays for what they ordered, or splits the bill by percentage (50/50 etc). This is more for finer dining. Not really the places one would go post ride.

Yes it does help that NZ isn't a tipping culture, which does simplify those incidents when a bill is split and some parties under-tip. But even so, with the above mentioned methods, any places that does have optional tipping, simply has it pop-up on the EFTpos/card machine, and most people just press "Skip", haha.

Here the general vibe is that people don't mind or get offended when itemising a bill and others only pay for what they ordered. Yes it adds a minute or 2 at "checkout" but I'm sure it has prevented many an argument or passive-aggressive thought between friends.

how does this work when freeloaders come into play

Ā 

the mobile qr order and pay seems best imo

Ā 

8 hours ago, Hairy said:

Nah, too obvious ... the Merida was over compensating?

Perhaps.. but perhaps the SWORKS was reinforcing misplaced dominance..

ā€œI SWORKS, therefore I can..ā€

We just split it equally, but then we usually all order about the same thing - burger and beer or two; breakfast and coffee or two. Sometimes lose out a bit, sometimes win a bit.Ā 
Ā 

But, if someone orders a steak and everyone else a burger then they are going to pay their fair share. Luckily I know the guys I ride with well enough that we can give each other ****, or tell someone to pay up without it becoming a thing.

28 minutes ago, throttles said:

Perhaps.. but perhaps the SWORKS was reinforcing misplaced dominance..

ā€œI SWORKS, therefore I can..ā€

S-Werxs rider had the smallest meal to ensure that he stays within the allowable weight tolerance from the manufacturer :P

Early May a friend and I did a 7 day unsupported ride from Prince Albert to Nieu Bethesda overnighting at various establishments as we we went along . I paid for the 1st night in advance so he paid for the second and me for the third so we went along never checking who paid how much .

Both happy . But the prerequisite for such an arrangement I suppose is that we are mates . The company is worth more than the difference in money .

clearly the was not the case with the OP.

1 hour ago, BaGearA said:

how does this work when freeloaders come into play

Ā 

the mobile qr order and pay seems best imo

Ā 

Either that or the order and pay at the counter.

Don't order and pay. Don't get food. Simple as that.

It's a bit of an "everyone for themselves" approach, but culturally it's the norm.

The only time a person could expect you to pay for them is if you offer beforehand.

Ā 

Years ago I went to Panarotti's for all-you-can-eat pizza. Our group was quite big and so was the bill.

When it came time to pay and everyone was putting in their cash, adding for a decent tip, the final person (an acquaintance) decided that we'd paid too much and not only did they not contribute towards the bill or tip, but took R10 out of the cash pile, to pay for their parking.

They did this without flinching or even seeing the error in etiquette. The rest of us were speechless.

24 minutes ago, patches said:

Years ago I went to Panarotti's for all-you-can-eat pizza. Our group was quite big and so was the bill.

When it came time to pay and everyone was putting in their cash, adding for a decent tip, the final person (an acquaintance) decided that we'd paid too much and not only did they not contribute towards the bill or tip, but took R10 out of the cash pile, to pay for their parking.

They did this without flinching or even seeing the error in etiquette. The rest of us were speechless.

Never mind etiquette, that is theft. The money put down by others was meant for a specific purpose, this person then took from this for their own gain.

So thereby becoming a thief.

Ā