Van der Poel arrested in Oz

OVERDRIVE

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Danger Dassie said:

It speaks to kids being kids, not poor parenting. 

We don’t know what actually happened.

There's a time and place for everything and by the time they're leaving primary school they should know this.

10 hours ago, W@nted said:

Where was his team management? Surely in the same hotel and should be handling these situations on his behalf

I think the Dutch might benefit from different management - not perhaps the same oke who forgot to tell him about that wooden ramp?

16 hours ago, OVERDRIVE said:

I'll say! A bit over the top? 

11 hours ago, MORNE said:

most of us here are from a time when if you did this, and you went to your parents to tell them a man stripped his moer because YOU were knocking on his door the whole night -  you’d get ‘sorted out’ a second time in front of said man - and then have to apologise too for being a little dwis because you embarrassed your parents.😅

Why were Nick white's  daughters at the hotel that late in the first place?

12 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

Alleged….

he denies any shoving.

security footage will clear things up but with charges laid it’s going to go to court so he’ll have to stick around till it’s done so that could be 2months

Let's play the "What if game"

Assuming that the cameras show that the kids are lying, and he did not lay a finger on them .... will the Aussie courts be so kind as to allow him to successfully sue the children's parents for potential loss of earnings, and costs associated with being held up in Aussie land to clear up this popo ?

10 hours ago, W@nted said:

Where was his team management? Surely in the same hotel and should be handling these situations on his behalf?

Management was in the same hotel but mvdp did not contact them and decided to sort things out himself. even at the copshop he contacted Roodhooft rather than cloggie team manager. Quite a bit of discussion in NL regarding communication between team mvdp and national team structure

playing devil's advocate here (see what I did there?), in days gone by, riders' sleep would e disrupted nefariously the night before races... was this a case of that? makes for an interesting thought experiment...

Van baarle said the team was sleeping at the 4th floor, they slept perfectly but MVDP slept at the 7th floor with his girlfriend. Not saying it was his fault at all but he kind of decided to put himself out of the "quiet bubble" organised for him and his team by the hotel and management, and suffered the consequences. To his defense I would probably also very easily lost my temper if someone played that game in the middle of the night if I was racing any race the next day 🤣 

But if he did call hotel management he probably would have been the victim and gotten a couple thousand AUD in his pocket and still raced the weekeend !

Aussies fines are no joke, I remember taking my wife to the most expensive breakfast once in Melbourne, after taking about a minute trying to make sense of the sign next to the parking bay where we decided to park, we realised we mis-understood it completely when we were fined heavily for the 45mins or so that we stayed, so I can only imagine what happens if you mess with an entire floors' sleep in a hotel 🤣

Interesting responses to this incident on the forum but I am glad it's sorted and he is on his way home, hopefully next time he just phones hotel staff and team management, school fees paid! Sadly the world has changed and we need to think very carefully how we respond to what we see in front of us on a daily basis. How I miss the days when a good PK could sort out most misunderstandings.

1 hour ago, Danger Dassie said:

B99ED28C-23C9-4345-9873-31F70E2AB19E.jpeg

imo, given how nanny OZ is in general about anything....and how quick this went away and with this new info, It obviously was not  a serious offence. Also, oz does not seem to have a good track record when it comes to treatment of professional athletes lately haha....so the bad press maybe helped. Im thinking the whole Djokovic thing and a few years back Lewis Hamilton also landed in hot water for pulling away too quickly at a stop light or something and got fined.reprimanded for 'damaging public infrastructure' haha. They literally banned a whole racing series in one state for an incident where a after the race, a racing car was used to do burnouts for some fans.

clowns

Edited by MORNE

26 minutes ago, MORNE said:

imo, given how nanny OZ is in general about anything....and how quick this went away and with this new info, It obviously was not  a serious offence. Also, oz does not seem to have a good track record when it comes to treatment of professional athletes lately haha....so the bad press maybe helped. Im thinking the whole Djokovic thing and a few years back Lewis Hamilton also landed in hot water for pulling away too quickly at a stop light or something and got fined.reprimanded for 'damaging public infrastructure' haha. They literally banned a whole racing series in one state for an incident where a after the race, a racing car was used to do burnouts for some fans.

clowns

if memory serves, the Ineos team were pulled over in a training session there for jumping a stop street. During Tour of Down Under IIRC

19 minutes ago, MORNE said:

imo, given how nanny OZ is in general about anything....and how quick this went away and with this new info, It obviously was not  a serious offence. Also, oz does not seem to have a good track record when it comes to treatment of professional athletes lately haha....so the bad press maybe helped. Im thinking the whole Djokovic thing and a few years back Lewis Hamilton also landed in hot water for pulling away too quickly at a stop light or something and got fined.reprimanded for 'damaging public infrastructure' haha

clowns

(Warning : gross generalisations may offend wallaby and all blacks supporters)

OZ just seems to be a place were the kids spend much of their life as spoiled brats. See it will my cousins kids , friends kids, colleagues etc. if my kids spoke to me the way my nephews speak to their parents they’d have had a snot klap long ago. But apparently is how they do things down under. It was downright embarrassing taking them to restaurants locally.  One of my pals has spent a lot of time out of Australia and he and his wife specifically have raised their kids differently. Much more aligned with traditional parenting and their kids are better for it. They fit in anywhere.

a close pal of mine spent a week there for a job interview (pre covid) and while walking along some beachfront promenade in Fremantle he got bumped by a kid on a skateboard . Turned out the bliksem grabbed his wallet from his back pocket so he chased him down shouting and swearing. He got arrested for profanity and disturbing the peace. Needless he didn’t get the job. He’s in Scotland now where an f bomb is part of every sentence. 
I hear lots of strange stories from family and friends over there but they’re used to it and being so heavily policed is welcomed(which is even stranger)

my uncle got fined for leaving g his garden  refuse bin out on the wrong day. Sometimes he does repeatedly and claims he’s forgetful at 80yo.
oh and everyone says, don’t correct the neighbours kids, don’t even speak to them without a witness.

It seems a strange place. Alfred Hitchcock even wrote a book about it , I thinks it’s called Birds

7 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

(Warning : gross generalisations may offend wallaby and all blacks supporters)

OZ just seems to be a place were the kids spend much of their life as spoiled brats. See it will my cousins kids , friends kids, colleagues etc. if my kids spoke to me the way my nephews speak to their parents they’d have had a snot klap long ago. But apparently is how they do things down under. It was downright embarrassing taking them to restaurants locally.  One of my pals has spent a lot of time out of Australia and he and his wife specifically have raised their kids differently. Much more aligned with traditional parenting and their kids are better for it. They fit in anywhere.

a close pal of mine spent a week there for a job interview (pre covid) and while walking along some beachfront promenade in Fremantle he got bumped by a kid on a skateboard . Turned out the bliksem grabbed his wallet from his back pocket so he chased him down shouting and swearing. He got arrested for profanity and disturbing the peace. Needless he didn’t get the job. He’s in Scotland now where an f bomb is part of every sentence. 
I hear lots of strange stories from family and friends over there but they’re used to it and being so heavily policed is welcomed(which is even stranger)

my uncle got fined for leaving g his garden  refuse bin out on the wrong day. Sometimes he does repeatedly and claims he’s forgetful at 80yo.
oh and everyone says, don’t correct the neighbours kids, don’t even speak to them without a witness.

It seems a strange place. Alfred Hitchcock even wrote a book about it , I thinks it’s called Birds

all these stories make it sound like Oz is governed by the tannies on the local neighborhood whatsapp group.