Low-Balling a thing on BikeHub?

440MTB

Low-Ballers  

222 members have voted

1. 1. Do you low-ball people?

• Yes, always!
    • Nope, I pay asking price!
    • I negotiate fairly!

Hey there everyone, trust you're having an awesome Friday!

Just thought I'd share my thoughts/experience...

As someone who is pretty new here, and as someone who's "wheeled and dealed" a fair bit in my life... I found BikeHub to be a nice alternative to the norm, and I come here to escape the Gumtree mentality of some buyers/sellers, but it seems James from BikeMarket.co.za or @WeBuyBicycles  on BikeHub wants to make BH like Gumtree...

Offering R14k less than asking price... ?

Surely as someone in the business of selling yourself, you must be accustomed to every man and his dog low-balling you, and I'm sure you don't entertain or appreciate when people do this, so not sure why one would do this here?

Edited by MM

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Nico van Loggerenberg said:

How are they supposed to sell it for the same price you asked if they offer you your asking price? 💩

I too ask for a better selling price 99% of the time, BUT, defintely won't have the audacity to offer R14k less on a R32k asking price. 😂

Haha yeah I think that’s just their business model, all I can say is that as annoying as it is, it must work, because they consistently continue to do it when people post bikes for sale.

Guess there are people out there who maybe need cash urgently, and at least then they have a reliable trustworthy buyer!

If you’re not interested just ignore and move on. Or just a simple ‘no thanks’ would never hurt 😛

You might have just been unlucky with your first experience, mostly bikehub is not like that at all (in my experience anyways).

Just now, MM said:

I too ask for a better selling price 99% of the time, BUT, defintely won't have the audacity to offer R14k less on a R32k asking price. 😂

What you should start doing is lowballing others and buy every bargain you see, then trying to resell them for R15k more. Doesn't seem to be a mentally taxing business model judging by some of the dealers on here. If you have enough capital you can corner the market. Maybe in a few years you can buy bikemarket... With a 50% lowball offer 

20 minutes ago, Spookie said:

Haha yeah I think that’s just...

*Snip*

Yeah for sure, didn't mean to come across as attacking @WeBuyBicycles- like you said, this just left a bit of a sour taste as I've only done 3 deals on BH and the people I've dealt with were great thus far.

20 minutes ago, Nico van Loggerenberg said:

What you should start doing is lowballing...

*Snip*

Man, this is a great idea... you willing to front me the capital? I'd be willing to pay back AT LEAST 45% of what you loaned me. Hahahahaha

Edited by MM

Some of the offers actually provide great entertainment for me haha, I was selling a bike for 12K, got offered 7k, my friend was selling a bike for 18 and got offered 10. Gotta love how much they lowball you. Also I am curious how many people actually accept, it surely can't be even 10%, but then again, some of the dealers on here aren't very charming at all and continue to be in business, so it may be more than we think...

2 minutes ago, sirmoun10goat said:

@MM maybe you overpriced by 10k and they only lowballing you 4k in reality 

This is a rant by you based on a single ‘bad’ experience. You should rather ask @BikeMarketcoza their reasons for their low offer, and bring that up in this forum. This way you will get more meaningful insight/comments

Defintely not overpriced by R10k, there are similar bikes on the market for more than my asking price (which is negotiable btw, but again my neg. seems to be another's low-ball).

That said, not sure how this is a rant (I even have a poll! Lol 🤣), merely engaging with the community to get input, etc.

Also, most people's replies have actually been quite meaningful/insightful, or at the very least... entertaining, so not sure where you're coming from to be honest...

But thanks for the reply nonetheless, I appreciate your meaningful insight and taking time to add your R2.50 to the jar.